Is Quantum fishing reels any good?

shimano25

I keep seeing these reels in a package at Canadian Tire or Walmart. Are these reels any good? I heard that they can't compete with reels made by Daiwa or Shimano. The one I saw is a Quantum Snapshot. Also, it has a clip near the bail arm (some reels have it, some don't). What the heck is the purpose of that clip near the bail arm? I always get my lines tangled because of that thing.

Oh, and another thing, is it taboo among serious anglers to buy inexpensive packaged fishing reels at these stores?

Edited by shimano25

The clip you're mention sounds like what another reel manufacture calls a trigger. I had a reel that had one years ago and never found it useful and it did get in the way.

Reels (and most other topics) will produce a lot of strong feelings. Many of us have preferences and defend them vigorously. I feel that, assuming a store is not trying to rip you off or getting rid of old product, that you get what you pay for and that two different brands of reel that are at the same price point are going to be of similar quality. They may have different features that might make one more suitable for your fishing situation.

Just about all reel manufactures make reels for just about ever price point from $30 right up to $300-$400 and beyond. Just like cars, and that isn't by accident.

I bought one of thoes packages from canadian tire last summer as my first baitcaster and not really knowing much better and have since bought better or more expensive and I still use it it may not cast as far or be as smooth but I stiill get them in the baot once in a while

I started out with the 20$ ready2fish combo from walmart.

I LOVED IT!

Got onto this site, heard all the jazz of the good stuff...

I've since upgraded to a higher quality rod and reel... and dream of the days when I can drop 5 bills on a rod and not care....but I doubt that will happen.

Kickingfrog takes it! You get what you pay for... for the most part.

I believe after a certain price point... you get into the "class system".

Buy a nicer combo from walmart, in the $80-$100 range, and you'll see the difference for yourself. Then you can decide if its worth spending upwards of 250$ on just the reel....

Do it right the first time,Shimano,Daiwa or Abu Garcia for reels,for rods Fenwick,Shimano,St-Croix.

I have a Energy Pti-A 20 it weighs 10.5 oz pretty heavy,had to change the clutch bearing after 2 months,after 2 weeks had the same problem again.

If your on a budget look into Okuma reels.

Shimano25, I would appreciate it if you stopped trolling our community. If you want to discuss it, PM me.

Also, if you ALWAYS get your line caught in the clip thingie, you might want to consider not buying, opening the package and trying the reel for the first time.

I keep seeing these reels in a package at Canadian Tire or Walmart. Are these reels any good? I heard that they can't compete with reels made by Daiwa or Shimano. The one I saw is a Quantum Snapshot. Also, it has a clip near the bail arm (some reels have it, some don't). What the heck is the purpose of that clip near the bail arm? I always get my lines tangled because of that thing. 

Oh, and another thing, is it taboo among serious anglers to buy inexpensive packaged fishing reels at these stores?

Don't bother, I bought two of those from Canadian for my nephews, junk! If you are going to buy from there stick to a low end Shimano

The days of quality cheap reels are for the most part over. 15 dollar made in France Mitchell 300`s are a piece of history. The Wal-Mart here seems to only sell pre-packaged reels, and the bottom end of the MFG`s lines.

Like mentioned reels are like cars, every one has their favorite. I wouldn`t buy a new to the market reel, I like to see some history of performance behind them.

blahblah1.gif

blahblah1.gif