ON record smallmouth

sauce

8lb Largie for ya Lew and a 5 lb Stash.

That stach is purty near as old as me Marvin :lol::lol:

Like I said above, I never, ever weigh fish and that hog may honestly be the only fish I've ever weighed in close to 60 years of fishing. I'm only going by the average of what 2 scales said, and who knows how accurate those things are anyhoo :dunno:

Whatever the weight, it's certainly the largest bass I'll probably ever see again :P

Guest Johnny Bass

That stach is purty near as old as me Marvin :lol::lol:

Like I said above, I never, ever weigh fish and that hog may honestly be the only fish I've ever weighed in close to 60 years of fishing. I'm only going by the average of what 2 scales said, and who knows how accurate those things are anyhoo :dunno:

Whatever the weight, it's certainly the largest bass I'll probably ever see again :P

That's a lunker for sure Lew and probably the biggest Canadian largemouth bass I have seen. But the rumours abound in 8 and a half pound largies. Yet not many pictures to back them up.

I have seen a 9lb smallmouth. It is in a private large pond and is fed daily...therefore would not qualify as a record fish. It is weighed each year. It is more of a pet than anything else. Comes right up and takes frogs or chicken giblets out of your hand. Doesn't even struggle and swims right into the cradle for weighing.

It is a monster...almost looks unreal.

So yeah...a 9 pound fish is possible, just would take perfect conditions.

8lb Largie for ya Lew and a 5 lb Stash. Thats some moustache ya had there buddy. Awesome, you look like you mean business. Great lookin fish to.

Haha.. Wonder what the stash record is? Thats a monster bass Lew!

Guest Johnny Bass

I have seen a 9lb smallmouth. It is in a private large pond and is fed daily...therefore would not qualify as a record fish. It is weighed each year. It is more of a pet than anything else. Comes right up and takes frogs or chicken giblets out of your hand. Doesn't even struggle and swims right into the cradle for weighing.

It is a monster...almost looks unreal.

So yeah...a 9 pound fish is possible, just would take perfect conditions.

Actually I seen a record in the states and some of the locations were private ponds, farm ponds, ect...

http://www.landbigfish.com/staterecords/records.cfm?state=Ohio

Crazy...That fish looks about 5lbs max......

I hear so many rumors of 8.5 lb largies, yet to see very many over 7. Makes those record fish suspicious. I wouldn't be surprised if they were exaggerated or caught in a pond/fish tank and fed shiners....

Simcoe Smallies get fat and in that pic you can't see just how fat.

According to my scale, the fish I am holding in this pic is bang on 7 pounds. I wish I would have taken a pic of its belly from the underside to show the thickness.

novsmallie7.JPG

Guest Johnny Bass

Simcoe Smallies get fat and in that pic you can't see just how fat.

According to my scale, the fish I am holding in this pic is bang on 7 pounds. I wish I would have taken a pic of its belly from the underside to show the thickness.

Cudz? That fish your holding looks over 22 inches easy. The other one looks barely 20 inches. It must have been one fat fish. Even the fish the kid is holding is much much fatter than the supposed 7 lber. Who knows though. Pictures can be deceiving and I doubt the tournament scales lie.

Cudz? That fish your holding looks over 22 inches easy. The other one looks barely 20 inches. It must have been one fat fish. Even the fish the kid is holding is much much fatter than the supposed 7 lber. Who knows though. Pictures can be deceiving and I doubt the tournament scales lie.

Johnny

Look at the fish closer. Not a straight arm shot and it covers shoulder to hip on Mark.Also the head goes right into huge shoulders and continues right to the tail.Probly not the best pic of the fish,but seen it personally.Big fish.

Cudz,pigs bud.

The big waters always have a shot at the record but even there, is still has to be the right conditions. I was told years ago that if you caught a fish that weighed half of the record it was considered huge. So anything over 5lbs is a trophy in anyones book.

I have been lucky to see some true pigs over the years. The biggest was a largemouth caught in the Muskoka's during the spring while pike fishing. It may have been 9lbs definately well over eight but a buddy caught her and we released her quickly.

The photos are not always the best way. I make fish look small but a few lighter friends that make them look big. :blink:

I have always liked the attached photo, 6lb smallmouth but Mr. Giles makes it look 10lbs.

IMG_29681.jpg

Edited by Michael Brown

Guest Johnny Bass

The big waters always have a hot at the record but even there, is still has to be the right conditions. I was told years ago that if you caught a fish that weighed half of the record it was considered huge. So anything over 5lbs is a trophy in anyones book.

I have been lucky to see some true pigs over the years. The biggest was a largemouth caught in the Muskoka's during the spring while pike fishing. It may have been 9lbs definately well over eight but a buddy caught her and we released her quickly.

The photos are not always the best way. I make fish look small but a few lighter friends that make them look big. :blink:

I have always liked the attached photo, 6lb smallmouth but Mr. Giles makes it look 10lbs.

Yup. Looks closer to 7. Look at the mouth on it!

A lot of you guys saw this largemouth from last August. 6lbs 13oz, no fibs or lies just it's my record and I caught it on that dear Rapala Skitter Pop. My biggest and the only big fish I care about lol.

Lot's of great big smallies shown on this thread. Congrads guys, the records I try to beat are only my own.

Some states here allow record fish from private ponds, Ohio is one of them. Years ago my brother pulled one from a pond not far from where I live that was easily 7. As he held it up to show me it flipped right out of his hand down the bank back into the water, LOL a grown man cry? That particular pond had golden shiners in it up to 3/4 of a pound or so. I have only lost two L/M in 40-50 years of fishing that I was sure were over 7, one may have been way over, both from farm ponds.

Long ago the beer or liquor store in Pointe Au Baril had a pig on the wall caught at a near by lake, as I recall it was 8ish and huge. It doesn`t take a big lake to produce big fish, just the right mix. Look at the pigs they pull out of some small California lakes. Of course they have the advantage of a year round growing season.

Guest gbfisher

Here's a picture of the Canadian record Green Carp(with a broken tail.. :oops: ..kids!!!) and it happens to be on my wall.

In the basement of course.... :rofl2:

IMG_8925.jpg