Bark Lake Ontario

Spitz

Hey guys,

We won the "Reel In The Big Ones with Bob Izumi" contest and will be coming to Ontario to fish Bark Lake on September 14th. Haven't found much information about this lake - any information would be appreciated.

Here is our intinerary :

You will be flown from BC to Toronto and staying at the Carlingview Airport Inn for one night. In the morning, the charter bus will take you and the rest of the contest winners to Bark Lake. (www.barklake.com)

Upon arrival at Bark Lake, you will have the opportunity to unpack and settle into your room prior to joining the group for dinner at 6:00pm. After dinner, everyone will gather in the Oak Centre for cocktails and the chance to socialize with Bob, Wayne and the other Pro fishermen that will be taking you fishing the next day. The agenda for Thursday consists of breakfast, fishing for the morning, lunch and then fishing again in the afternoon. Dinner will be served at approximately 6:00 pm after which there will be a reception in the Oak Centre for all. On Friday, all the guests will meet for breakfast at 8:00 am. We will be leaving Bark Lake at approximately 10;30 am and hope to arrive back in Toronto by 1:00 pm for your return flight to Vancouver.

A couple of other notes, smoking is restricted to a few areas on the property and alcohol consumption is only permitted in the dining hall and in the main lounge of the Oak Centre. Alcoholic beverages will be provided as part of this prize package. Fishing rods/reels and bait will also be supplied.Also note that there is no store on the Bark Lake property should you require anything during your stay. When packing for the trip, please consider bringing warm clothing and rain gear as it can be quite cool at this time of year.

Pretty happy to be travelling to your province and check out the sights!

Thanks for the information on the lake..

Congrat's on the win!

I'm somewhat familiar with Bark. It's deep, clear and mostly fishless from my perspective LOL! Seriously though it's always been a tough nut to crack for me.

There's a decent population of smallmouth which will likely save your trip.

Hopefully Bob and friends are more adept than I am figuring the lake out.

It's a beautiful lake though located in beautiful part of Ontario. If nothing else this guarantees you a good time.

I used to live and work on that lake as the program director for the leadership centre that was there. The lake is full of smallish smallmouth. Somebody snuck some 'eyes into at one time, but I have no idea how they are doing. It would be cool to hang out with Bob for a weekend....see if he will take you to a good fishing lake ;)

Congratulations...sounds pretty cool.

I was there a year ago almost to the day for a family vacation. Didn't fish a ton but when we did it was tough, as has already been mentioned, we managed some very small smallmouth and one eater size walleye. The cottage resort we stayed at had some pretty dedicated anglers that I chatted with a bit. They were mostly walleye anglers who would troll at dusk and beyond, around some offshore shoals. A couple fish was a good night for them, but the fish had respectable size, and the evening I caught the walleye their groups hadn't caught anything and were quite interested to find I had caught this one close to shore.... :unsure: .

The lake is deep, clear and very scenic. The bottom has beautiful cobble.....everywhere!!! There is smallmouth, walleye, pike and lakers but I don't think numerous for anything, too bad it's a beautiful spot....have I mentioned that before??

Good luck and please let us know how you do. I'd be really curious to see what Bob and the gang knows about the lake.

Fished Bark a few times, and agree with previous comments about it being nothing spectacular. If you're coming in mid-September, plan on dragging tubes on bottom in 25 feet of water, which would be about the most consistent smallmouth pattern for that time of year. You may also get a couple of walleye as incidental catches. Don't expect anything (bass or walleye) over three pounds.

Having said that ... Bob and Wayne are both class guys, so you'll have a blast regardless.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Had the chance to fish the lake a few years ago. We had an awesome day with the smallies, lots of fish in the 2-2.5 pound range. Just one of those days that is etched in my mind forever. Great day of fishing on Bark Lake. When we left we saw a doe and her fawn. Went and fished another lake that afternoon/evening and had a bear run in front of us on the way to the launch. While fishing the other lake we came around a point to find a lady who was topless and sunbathing.w00t.gif Gotta love the quite sounds of the electric trolling motor. Went around the point and into a bay, when we came out there was a girl rowing a boat topless and her boyfriend/husband was fishing at the back. clapping.gif There was defineately some in the air that day.

You'll have a great time. Bob and Wayne are great guys to hang with. Congrats on the win!thumbsup_anim.gif

We won the "Reel In The Big Ones with Bob Izumi" contest

While fishing the other lake we came around a point to find a lady who was topless and sunbathing. Went around the point and into a bay, when we came out there was a girl rowing a boat topless and her boyfriend/husband was fishing at the back.

Are you sure this opportunity is about fishing and not about Mariko's bikini? Actually, come to think of it, that would be a little awkward since her dad uncle will be hosting ... but who knows. Maybe they need the ratings. Haha! kidding. Congrats!

Fished Bark a few times, and agree with previous comments about it being nothing spectacular. If you're coming in mid-September, plan on dragging tubes on bottom in 25 feet of water, which would be about the most consistent smallmouth pattern for that time of year. You may also get a couple of walleye as incidental catches. Don't expect anything (bass or walleye) over three pounds.

Having said that ... Bob and Wayne are both class guys, so you'll have a blast regardless.

Some of you are getting confused by two different lakes. The map provided in one post is of Bark Lake near Barry's Bay, the other Bark Lake near Kinmount is more of a private lake that Bob Izumi is involved with.

Bark Lake near Barry's Bay is much larger and holds more species of fish.

BarK Lake near Kinmount is primarily SM bass to my knowledge.

Thanks for the info! The Bark Lake we are going to is the one with the leadership centre on it..so is that the "Kinmount" or "Berrys Bay" lake?

Mariko won't be joining us unfortunately, she is currently in Cabo fishing for Marlin. We talked to her yesterday through Facebook and shes having a blast down there. clapping.gif

Some of you are getting confused by two different lakes. The map provided in one post is of Bark Lake near Barry's Bay, the other Bark Lake near Kinmount is more of a private lake that Bob Izumi is involved with.

Bark Lake near Barry's Bay is much larger and holds more species of fish.

BarK Lake near Kinmount is primarily SM bass to my knowledge.

Most definately talking about Izumi's spot. It is the one near Kinmount. We only caught smallies when we were there. Doubt that Craig is confused since he worked for Izumi.

Yes, the lake you are going to is the small one midway between Gooderham and Kinmount. It's not a private lake by any stretch of the imagination. The centre that Izumi is affiliated with owns about 200 acres around the lake, less than half the shoreline. Everything else is crown land and easily accessible by boat or portage.

Had the chance to fish the lake a few years ago. We had an awesome day with the smallies, lots of fish in the 2-2.5 pound range. Just one of those days that is etched in my mind forever. Great day of fishing on Bark Lake. When we left we saw a doe and her fawn. Went and fished another lake that afternoon/evening and had a bear run in front of us on the way to the launch. While fishing the other lake we came around a point to find a lady who was topless and sunbathing.w00t.gif Gotta love the quite sounds of the electric trolling motor. Went around the point and into a bay, when we came out there was a girl rowing a boat topless and her boyfriend/husband was fishing at the back. clapping.gif There was defineately some in the air that day.

You'll have a great time. Bob and Wayne are great guys to hang with. Congrats on the win!thumbsup_anim.gif

I guess it was etched into your mind. And that was a sweet bonus indeed (catching smallies).

lol