first timer carp need help

skinny

well since I can't seem to catch bass this year I know some places with carp. so i thought I may try for them but I'm not sure what to toss at them

i have heard corn and bread balls. do I use big hooks small hooks,floats ,fish bottom what works

Hey Skinny!

Here's something I pasted from a recent report I did... Keep in mind this is carping BASICS, but after trying nearly everything this seems to work just as good and for a part-time carper it's easier for me to just grab some corn..

Cheers,

Ryan

Locate some carp water...

IMG_9887.jpg

Chum the area with this... canned or cut of a cob

IMG_9888.jpg

rigged with 50lb Braid with a slip sinker, tied to a swivel, then a 3' fluorocarbon leader. Used 12lb this morning

IMG_9894.jpg

Cover your hook with corn

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9890.jpg

Fire your bait out in the area that you chummed earlier, and wait. Notice my home-made rod-pod...also doubles as a marshmallow stick for fires lol

IMG_9892.jpg

And by 6:30 I had my first fish on.. not big, but put up a good little scrap.

IMG_9875.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

The release for you musky guys! lol

IMG_9883.jpg

I just started carping this year as well and I have yet to upgrade to the hair rig (As I'm an extremely part time carper during bass or trout season). It was The Urban Fisherman's post that he posted here that I used as my guide.

I had trouble catching carp on my first 3-4 trips, but the following trips all had carp. Chumming the area before you go is a great idea.

I used a medium-sized hook as shown above, and I'd be scared off from using giant hooks, as carp can be finicky once they have that metal in their mouth.

There's lots to learn and there are lots of great online resources that you can check out. Ontario Carp is something that TJ helped setup and is worth a look. The Carp Anglers Association is a good resource as well. Take an hour or two to read up on the species and techniques as well. If you're going to do something, you might as well actually catch fish ;)

To begin you can use Ryan`s guide lines just don't forget after you cast to loosen up your drag completely. If not its just a matter of time before you lose your rod.

This is true hahaha.

My first carp run ever came when I was tinkering with tackle and had set my rod aside momentarily. Thank God I wedged it in between two rocks, or it would have been in the drink! It bent over and line started screaming & peeling. Hold that rod, set that drag loose!

Hair rigs are for sissies! :whistling: haha

I'm just to lazy to deal with them. And the exposed hook gets snagged to easy in the areas I fish...

Cheers,

Ryan

:blahblah1: lol

I still completely cover the hook with corn. I usually tie 10 or so and then I'm good for a bit

UF

Dan is right about the hair rig. I will greatly increase the number of hook ups.

Your method is a good one and the carp picture shows that. But I can guarentee you that the carp has to pick up and spit out your hook repeatedly until the corn covering the hook point is knocked off. This is the only way you're going to get the hook stuck into them to start with. So covering the hook point to start with is counter productive.

I don't use the hair rig myself because I believe I have learned from some very experienced carp anglers another method that is simpler. I will post on this technique later on. It is similar to what you are doing but has been refined to be much more effective.

I don't use the hair rig myself because I believe I have learned from some very experienced carp anglers another method that is simpler. I will post on this technique later on. It is similar to what you are doing but has been refined to be much more effective.

I am still waiting to see your non-hair method Lorne...or did I miss it?