Took a newbie musky fishing

Rizzo

I took a friend musky fishing last fall...cold, miserable day where I managed one 42 inch fish and he got skunked. Turns out he actually enjoyed being pelted with freezing rain, and decided to invest in his own gear. He's been itching to get out this year, but neither one of us has had the time until today. Pouring rain and dropping temps on the way to the lake this morning brought back memories of the last time we fished together! The first few hours on the water produced nothing other than a visit from the ministry. At 9:30 I lost a small fish (low 30's) at the side of the boat that had taken a swipe at a boo-tail. That was followed up by a smallie that paid a visit (no photo), hitting the same bait a few casts later. Then at 10:30 this beaut fell for a jig.

a 48 incher.jpg

Measuring 48 inches and chunky, this is the best kawartha fish I have caught. No release picture, as it bolted for the depths as soon as it was back in the water. Shortly after this fish was caught I tied into a pesky pesky 18 inch walleye (no photo) speedtrolling a 10 inch grandma. What it was thinking I have no idea, felt like reeling in a dishrag. Needless to say my friend is starting to get discouraged...but isn't that what musky fishing is all about, especially when you're just starting out? Luckily at the 11th hour(literally...we had to be off the water by noon)we got him his first musky, a healthy 42 incher caught speedtrolling a storm thunderstick in 20 feet of water.

joe\'s first.jpg

When I say speedtrolling I'm talking 7-8 mph. I've taken a few new people out this year, and they all think I'm nuts...until their rod doubles over and their fighting their first ski! As long as the lure is staying submerged, I'm giving 'er. Although those storm baits are inexpensive, I'll say this for them, they do operate well at high speeds.

Guest Johnny Bass

Great report and nice skis. Looks like monster ski weather to me! Congrats to your friend's first musky. Can't complain about that. Mine was 12-14 inches.lol

Beautiful big muskies!

Your friend must really be pumped to head there again.

Think i fished there once before and met a CO in a Legend boat.

Decent guy, ended up pulling some other boats off the lake.

Could be bigger fish there, believe it or not ;)