Simcoe report

Cudz

Got out yesterday morn for a few hours with a buddy. I have not been out much due to the fact that I had been travelling for a while and spent a week at the cottage. Anyway I went to regular spots but there was nothing regular about them. One spot used to be choked with weeds not has none. Absolutely 0 weed cover. :dunno: Odd. Anyway I start drop shotting in another spot and am constantly getting bit by some small fish. I try to set hook but nothing. It is gettting really annoying as it is constant. Finally I manage to hook one of the small fish (I snagged it in its side). To my surprise I pull out a Goby. WTH? The place is full of them. Thousands! Wow, alot changes in a month.

After a few small fish we decide to move to another spot and finally get some decent fish. Nothing spectacular but fun non the less. I lost a real big pig on a jump. Probably could have gone 5. Which is odd because 5s don't usually jump like this but this fish managed to clear about 30" out of the water 15' away from the boat.

Not too happy about the Goby situation in Simcoe right now.

Pic of Goby and pic of James with nice smallie.

jame1.JPG

jame3.JPG

If you stomp on a gobey and hold it up in the air by the tail most birds will come by and get it and thank you for it by NOT pooping on you or your boat. As for the bass, nice fish! Is it a new PB of 88LB's? (just messing from another post)...

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice fish.

Simcoe is infested with Gobies. We've caught and destroyed quite a few over the past month, but I think we're fighting a losing battle.

Thanks for the report. I wonder how the gobies will effect Simcoe smallies. Will they get even bigger? Even worse, how will it effect the perch population.

Nice smallie there - and sorry to hear about your gobies! My little reservoir is completely over run with the little *&^%*(&. I should start fishing them largies with goby style baits though I suppose. Lot of fun for Averie through the ice though when the panfish bite is tough.

Also - I noticed the weeds seem to be dying off early in my lake this season as well. Wondering if it's because of the early start in the spring?

Cheers,

Ryan

I wonder how the gobies will effect Simcoe smallies. Will they get even bigger?

Once the smallies get use to eating gobies yes they will get bigger.

Even worse, how will it effect the perch population.

This spring on Lake Erie the average size of the perch was excellent and far better than years past. You guessed it they were full of gobies.