A Day of Trophy Toronto Northern Pike

tdotfisherman

Today my buddy Spence and I decided to head out on Lake Ontario to hunt down some Urban Pike.

I haven't been out on Lake Ontario in about 2 months.. and we got skunked our last trip out.

We decided to try a spot we don't frequent too much.. and it paid off HUGE.

We boated 4 fish, all were trophy's (over 30") and my buddy caught a 38" monster that was pushing 20 pounds.. what a catch bud!

We had other follows, and short-strikes as well, and all the fish in the area were between 30-40 inches, the big boys were out today..

ALL FISH WERE RELEASED, AND SWAM AWAY FINE, TO BE CAUGHT ANOTHER DAY.. we must respect the resource.

Also, as per usual, I'm blurring out the backgrounds out of respect to shore anglers around Toronto (which I used to be)

Enjoy the photos!

31" Pike:

31.jpg

My 32" Pike:

32.jpg

My 36" Pike.. easily 15 or 16 Pounds:

36.jpg

The 38" Beast:

38innet.jpg

38Sitting.jpg

38.jpg

Being in a boat is way better, allows to cover much more water, especially around the islands. Those are amazing fish, good to see such a robust fishery at the doorstep of Canadas largest city. Try in the fall, larger ones can be found. :Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

Guess you don't have to fish the Attawapiskat to get big ones. :)

Well done, very impressive!

Something similar was my first thought as well, lot of people have spent time and money travelling only to have not done as well, gotta be sweet to have got those in the shadow of the CN Tower, bet there are much bigger ones as well given the access to deep water and that forage base. Well done :clapping:

Thanks all for the nice replies fellas.. I appreciate it. It was one hell of a day for Gator Hunting!

nice fish. cant beleive im only an hour away and have never hit the islands. where do you fellas launch from to access the islands?

I couldn't tell you buddy.. I've never fished the Toronto Islands by boat.

That is an awesome day. I've never had any luck in the summer in Toronto. What's the secret?

We usually have success in the summer.. but we don't usually have this kind of size.. it was a completely unusual and uncalled for type of day. I can get numbers in the summer no problem though.. the key usually is structure.. hit healthy weeds, fallen trees, beaver dams.. there will be Pike.

Very nice! You boys get em casting or trolling?!

All these fish were caught by casting.. we were in about 10-15 feet of water.. above deep weedbeds.. the Pike were coming up, following and striking.

I've never had success trolling for Toronto Pike..

is the little bridge your launch point? never fished the Islands before..

Again.. sorry.. I've never fished the Islands by boat.. these Pike were not caught at the Toronto Islands..

I have somewhat of an idea of where you were. I need to get a fishing kayak to hit those spots. If I can free up the time I may give her a go in Toronto from to shore tomorrow...maybe even tonight if the wifey will let me off the hook. If you don't mind a quick question: What type of lure size did you find success with? No need for specifics, I'm just wondering if I should bring out some of the bigger stuff if I want to hook into a few.

Edited by fishgreg

them some nice fish there boys. I have thought a lot about taking my boat around TO but i don't have a harbor license(or whatever they call it now)did you need the license to get on those fish?

travis

Edited by travis

them some nice fish there boys. I have thought a lot about taking my boat around TO but i don't have a harbor license(or whatever they call it now)did you need the license to get on those fish?

travis

From everything that I have read you need a harbour license if you want to enter the inner harbour. I believe that means the islands and the western part of the spit.