Buying a Boat ... Stateside

krawler

In the market for a boat and have heard about many people buying there boats in the states becuase of the better deals and ease of bringing it across the border. I dont want to travel far so ideally Ohio, PA, NY and MI would be prefferred states to shop and buy. Where and how do i find these deals? Has anyone searched and bought a boat stateside that may offer help in searching for a deal. Ive begun searching online but not coming up with any good deals by simply googling "boat for sale Ohio" or something along those lines. any help and additional tips for buying a boat in the states would be appreciated.

thanks

Ebay has tones of nice boats, new and used. A lot of actual boat dealerships on there and manufacturers selling boats to, just make sure you ask all questions and even phone them to, once in a while there is Canadians selling boats on there to but not many.

Edited by GbayGiant

Google boat trader online.

This subject has been brought up numerous times try searching this site or google and you should get some specifics.

One thing to keep in mind if you are planning on buying new in the US your local dealers will not honor your warranty.

If you look hard enough you can find good deals right here, new old stock, demonstrators etc.

You might also try www.iboats.com. I bought a boat last spring and found that the number of boats available increased quite a bit in April and May. I bought my boat from a wholesaler who imported it from Cincinnati - if you can find dealers who do this, you might find one for a good price. Good luck.

Remember to factor in the cost of both taxes, you will pay GST at the border and PST when you register it.

Get separate titles for boat, motor, trailer if possible. You will also need to get a trailer safety certificate. Many posts and a lot of information on the web about this. Call the government, I think they may have a pamphlet or similar correspondance on importing a boat.

Even after the tax, there are still deals to be had. Boats are more plentiful down there and there are many cases of one-foot-itus, especially in the more southern States. You will probably have luck in Ohio, Georgia is good too from what I have seen browsing around, but further away.

Test drive if you can before buying. Those pictures always look real nice....

Edited by Dutch

Hey Krawler, this latest boat is the third one I've bought from the states in 3 years. Texas, Kentucky and Tennessee were the three states I went to pick up a boat from. The drive was half the fun with the anticipation of picking up a new boat, plus I was accompanied by some friends and we dropped the boat in the water to water test it as well and get some fishing in.

You will pay both taxes (except on the trailer) at the border. You pay the PST on the trailer when you register the trailer. You will need to go to Service Canada to get a vessel license, you can print off the form on-line. You also need to take the trailer for an inspection at a Canadian Tire. When completed, RIV sends you a sticker to put on the trailer.

I found all 3 of my boats on-line. boattraderonline has new updates daily, so I would start there. Lots and lots of bass boats. Not sure what kind of boat you are looking for, but for bassboats it was a very good resource.

However, if you are looking for a bass boat, I know of a current STEAL of a deal in Huntsville for a loaded 1-year old Z21 package that is about 2/3rd the cost of a new one. Had I known of it before I bought my boat I woulda jumped on it, because you could fish out of this boat for a couple years and probably sell it for more than it is currently going for.

Send me a PM and I will send you details,

Good luck in any case with whatever you buy, they say the day you pick up the boat is the second happiest day of a boater's life... :D

Charles

Bought my Harley in the states! If boats are anything like bikes you will save yourself a fortune. My immediate savings came on the price, the paperwork, taxes and running around was worth it. Just be sure to send a copy of the title to the border 48 hours before you plan on bringing it back, so they can do their title searches.

Cheers,

Jen

Thanks for all the responses ... im currently searching all the above mentioned sites. Basically looking for a 2006 model, boat only, aluminum fishing boat. something along the lines of a lund alaskan or classic tiller models. also looking at alumacraft and lowe. ideally would like it by summer. searching marinas around ontario as well for great deals. once again thanks for the tips and if anyone can add any advice it would be much appreciated!!!

5 years ago when I was in the market for a new boat I looked at many boat selliing places from Thunder Bay to Southern Ontario. I did find one outfit called Mikes Motor & Marine on Highway 6 at Mount Hope that sold Crestliners and Mercury outboards who offered me a good deal. their phone number is 905-679-3391.

In the end I bought locally in Red Lake for servicing availability if I needed warranty work.

Try to shop close to home for that reason.