Help me ID this bird (NF)

Joey

Saw this bird in the backyard and have looked through my bird book and online and can't identify it. Pictures aren't that great as it was through the window, but it is basically grey all over. Dark eyes.

Anyone know what it is? I thought mockingbird or phoebe, but not sure!

Thanks

4871727021_8ca58afe5b_b.jpg

4871727977_e541f78f18_b.jpg

Joey

The short thick bill would preclude phoebe and mockingbird and the mockingbird has a really long tail that's very distinctive. Can't really tell you exactly what it is but the shape of the bill would suggest one of the finches or grosbeaks. What would you estimate the length to be?

The colour in the picture is accurate, it is gray with little other colour.

I thought of it being a baby of some sort, but it looks like no other bird I've seen in my yard.

The fox sparrow has similar markings, but is definately not gray. Hmmmmmm.

My first thoughts also leaned toward a finch of some sort but the size you suggested seemed a little large.

I'm no expert by any means but sometimes the best way to identify females or immature birds is to try and and spot mature males that may be in the vicinity with them.

Okay, that's really interesting, I did think it might be a cowbird from looking through my bird book, but I was not certain of that either. It did not show a juvenile, but it did have the same shape and size etc.

I learned before when I saw my first cowbird that they are parasitic, meaning they lay their eggs in other bird's nests and let them raise them, kinda like forced adoption :D Then the birds rejoin their own kind later.

Thanks again guys, really apprecite it.

Joey

Not to confuse further but that surely is a female house finch.

Cowbirds have larger, darker beaks and are more orientated towards grass and telephone lines.

They have larger, more blotchy breast streaks for a very short time before they are gone.

The thinner breast streaks are permanant on house finches and they perch on home structures most often.

A few times last week i mentioned being an amateur ornithologist to others, as i was searching for reported five-lined skinks in north King City. Didn't find any skinks but saw a pileated woodpecker and found chantrelles :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by ehg