Friday musky report

Fisherpete

As some of you know, I have been selling off some of my excess tackle and gear... I have been saving my pennies for a while with a boat upgrade in mind. This week, it happened. Posted the old ride on Kijiji, had it sold and gone in 13 hours!!! I picked up the new ride on Thursday evening... so naturally, I had to take her out for a test ride on Friday. It is a simple boat, a 16' Legend Prosport tiller, and I kept my Honda 30 from the old boat. I really love the layout of this boat, wide open concept, livewell, casting deck with storage... perfect for my fishing needs. Anyways, I will post some boat pics later after I install the seats, etc... so on to the fishing report!

I got on the water at 1pm, and had around 3 hours to try the boat out and catch some fish! The boat rides great, and feels really solid. She does almost 50km/hr (30mph) with just me in there! After ripping around for a bit, the urge to ger her slimed took over, and I started fishing. It only took ten minutes to hook into my first musky of the day - and she was a good one! Quickly fought her to boatside, and she looked to be around a thick 42 or 43... I reached for the net, and she took a hard run... SNAP! My damn lure broke in half!!! This marks the first time I have ever had a lure fail on me... GRRRRR!!!! I hate the thought of leaving a musky swimming with hooks dragging from their yap... hopefully it loosens up and falls out soon.

I had a spare of the same lure, and quickly put it on... and was soon into another one. I didn't take a measurement, but she was mid 30's. Sorry for the crappy picture quality, as I was flying solo, I only took videos of the fish releases, and took the pics from screen shots in the video.

musky1.jpg

Boat traffic became an issue in this area, so I moved... and was soon rewarded with what was to be the best one of the day, around a 38 or 39.

musky3.jpg

Two more followed, smaller ones. The fifth and final ski of the day had a massive tumour on its back, somewhere between the size of a tennis ball and a softball... just in front of the tail... yuk. She could not have been very hydrodynamic with that thing slowing her down! I released her at boatside without using the net. This is the first ski I have seen from this lake with one of these growths.

musky2.jpg

musky4.jpg

Final tally... 3 hours on the water, 2.5 of them spent fishing... 4/5 on muskies. Not a bad way to break in the new ride! The only bad thing that happened was that when I got back to the launch, there was a MASSIVE lineup of people coming in and out... at least 10! Some of them were, well, less than efficient at the launching process... it took me well over an hour to get my turn. I was and out in well under two minutes, doing it alone! Take some notes people... it's not rocket science!

Anyways, the new boat needs a name... I was going to call her "Quest for 50" like the last one, but the lettering kit (which was a freebie) has no friggen Q in it LOL! Any ideas?

Edited by Fisherpete

That's probably the best maiden voyage you could ask for! Great turnouts with the 'skis too man, you really have them dialed in eh!

For the lettering, how about using a Capital "O" and cut a small piece off another letter and use that as the second stroke of the letter? I'm assuming these are vinyl stickers or something similar though

(Yoda Voice)

Hmhmhmhmhm! First you must learn to be strong with the force! Telling you lake and lure I can not!

Actually, the musky success I have been having this year is not just on the one lake... I changed a few of my methods and tactics (as well as finding 3 really, really hot lures) and it is paying off large! 2 months into the season, and 49 muskies have been landed in my boat!

There is also no letters "O" and "N" in the kit... so I couldn't make a Q. They were used by the Legend guys to put the registration numbers on the boats they sell... including mine. But I did come up with a name, and had the letters to spell it. I will post it when I stick it on and put up my boat pics.

Steve - hey, it's not nearly as nice of a ride as yours, but it is a big upgrade for me. Really looking forward to spring kitties again... that was so much fun.

Chong - the orange gloves are made by Lindy... I think they are called "Fish handlers". They are not cheap ($25-30 each), but are worth every penny. They are made of some sort of kevlar type fabric that is cut and puncture proof. They have saved me twice already in the past month... I started wearing them again after getting sliced open pretty badly by a 44" earlier this year, and after hearing about Johnny Bass's thumb... yikes.

Edited by Fisherpete

I do own two of his t-shirts, maybe that's my secret! ;) The boat rides great Henry, had her out again yesterday. Thanks for all your help during the choosing and buying process! The proper trailer plate arrived today as well via Purolator.

Edited by Fisherpete