Roaming Bass

ironstone74

I was out twice this week, once in the evening and this afternoon, to a man made lake that holds some Bass. In the evening we marked close to 100 fish some of decent size. We caught one "trolling" in the canoe with a white big O, one on a drop shotted Senko, and a 3rd on a white on white jig/grub. All 3 were small Smallies.

Today we anchored again and marked even more roaming schools in 18 to 13 FOW. Caught one small one on a live leech. I once again threw just about all my junk at these fish and came up empty. I know these are the dog days and tough fishing, but what else might have worked? Is it worth targeting Smallies in late July???

Thanks for any feedback.

Paul

I find extreme tactics worked best for me this time of year....either finesse it or go big.....try lighter line and downsized baits, suspending cranks, carolina rigs or live bait...or burn a BIG spinnerbait below the surface or a BIG topwater like a zara spook

Have you tried senkos? If a fish turns down a senko its not a bass :)

That's why electronics are bad. You know there's fish down there but what are they? It sounds like you're using good bass tactics. Maybe try using your electronics to find bass structure as opposed to fish. There are a few places that I fish where you mark big schools of who knows what? And catch squat. Move to some kind of depth change or other form of structure and mark less fish, but actually get a few bites.

If you're convinced that you're marking bass, find someone that has an aqua view and invite them out. That's one way to find out for sure.

I'm serious about the senko comment though. I shore fished a stretch of river with senkos this aft. In 5 hours I had dozens of bites. This stretch of river is a hundred meters long and holds lots of bass of all sizes. There is no other bait that I could use to cast through an area repeatedly and catch bass all day like that. I might go back tomorrow.

I have seen bass cruising a shore line many times, and beat myself up trying to figure out something to trigger a strike, other times I have got fish every cast. There are no guarantees, just probabilities. If you are reasonably certain they are bass? Try jerking a spoon like a hopkins shorty, or Crocidile or blade bait like a vibee or heddon sonar, silver buddie off the bottom and left it flutter back down.

A lot of things may or may not work, when you hit the right one you will know? some days there is no right one, you catch the stragglers.

Edited by OhioFisherman

Have you tried senkos? If a fish turns down a senko its not a bass :)

I'm serious about the senko comment though. I shore fished a stretch of river with senkos this aft. In 5 hours I had dozens of bites. This stretch of river is a hundred meters long and holds lots of bass of all sizes. There is no other bait that I could use to cast through an area repeatedly and catch bass all day like that. I might go back tomorrow.

I can think of several other baits that outperform senkos on a daily basis - but whatever works for you I guess. Senkos were producing better a few years ago, but now it seems they've cooled down a bit as everyone is using them. Nowadays, a lot of my senkos end up on a 1/4 ounce jig head.

I have seen bass cruising a shore line many times, and beat myself up trying to figure out something to trigger a strike, other times I have got fish every cast. There are no guarantees, just probabilities. If you are reasonably certain they are bass? Try jerking a spoon like a hopkins shorty, or Crocidile or blade bait like a vibee or heddon sonar, silver buddie off the bottom and left it flutter back down.

A lot of things may or may not work, when you hit the right one you will know? some days there is no right one, you catch the stragglers.

Well, of course skunks can happen. There are several things - perhaps someone else was on his hole just before he got there and were fishing it for 4 hours or being disruptive in general.

Regardless, if you are marking fish on the fish finder that appear to be bass, that is just not enough evidence that they are bass - they could be a handful of different species.

I ran into this situation a few weeks ago during a bass tourney. We were fishing a weed covered drop off on a point and the conditions were calm no breeze bright sun. There was huge schools of baitfish swimming in front of the boat at all times. Tubes were working but only hooking up every 20 minutes or so. When we did catch one on a tube there would be at least 5 or 6 nice bass coming to the boat with the one that was hooked then they would vanish and things would slow down for another 1/2 hour. I picked up my ultra lite rod and put on a H6 I believe it was. Natural colour about 1 1/2 inches long. First cast bam 4 lber in the boat. They were all over that tiny bait, caught a fish every 3 or 4 casts and all were 3 lbers and up. The solution was simple :match the hatch: oh yeah they were all smallies.

I'd try darker colored tubes...i.e. Berkley tubes in smoke or pumpkin seed...i haven't tried senkos yet cause these tubes have not let me down...been catching a good number of eyes on them too...

I have never thought of using a tube for walleye. What colour work well for eyes?

Thanks,

Jim

Edit: sorry I have just re-read your post and realized that you answer that question. JR

Edited by Radnine

I was in Guelph Lake, I can't see whatever other species they may have been when I was getting all 3 sizes of fish on the display...

It's possible they were not Bass, I've only fish it twice. We caught Bass among the marked fish schools.

Perch, not that large

Walleye nope

Pike predators

Carp ??? doubt it

dropshot one of these in spring break colour http://reactioninnovations.com/box/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=36

Edited by BIG FISH

There's a significant amount of Crappie in Guelph Lake. Carp and Redfins as well, but they'd probably be bigger.

Also, you get a lot of pike in Guelph Lake that are in the 12-22" range, it could potentially be some of them.

And, I've definitely seen member Timmeh catch a big perch out of Guelph Lake before.

Again, you can't be sure. Next time you go out, buy a pack of Crappie phantom tubes and some tiny tube hooks (that setup will cost you $5) and see if they're Crappie. I suspect they probably are (particularly if they're schooling up like you say).

I can think of several other baits that outperform senkos on a daily basis - but whatever works for you I guess. Senkos were producing better a few years ago, but now it seems they've cooled down a bit as everyone is using them. Nowadays, a lot of my senkos end up on a 1/4 ounce jig head.

Are you trying to tell me that fish stopped eating senkos because everyone went out and bought a bag? I laugh. Senkos were awesome when they first came out and they're still awesome. I hope I can still buy GYB worms when I'm 90. 1/4 oz belly weighted 4/0 my friend. Let the current take it to the fish. Tick tick thud! Its that simple. Just gotta set the hook and wheel'em in.

Senkos are part of my arsenal. Most times I'll start with faster moving presentations. Then slow down a bit with suspending cranks. There are times that the suspending cranks don't get put away. Go slower still dragging tubes. Finally to clean up the leftovers a bottom bounced senko. Some days just stickin with a do nothing easy yet active presentation will get a ton of fish. Bass will eat a lot of different baits. But when it comes to a bait that fish eat and won't let go of, senkos are hard to beat.

Today, different spot same river dozens of bites from another hundred meter long section. Awesome average size. 4 fish over 18". You can't argue results. Bass that turn their noses at other baits will seldom pass up a properly presented senko. Dingers and other worms work too, but smallies aboslutely love to eat senkos. Everywhere too, not just on my river. Id love to find a deep school of picky smallies and let them empty a bag or two on me.

I was in Guelph Lake, I can't see whatever other species they may have been when I was getting all 3 sizes of fish on the display...

Only suggestion I have is turn off the fish symbol display, it's useless!

Thanks for the feedback guys. The more I think about the more I doubt all the fish were Smallies. I think Spiel hit the nail on the head about the fish finder; I was fixated on all the fish symbols on the display instead of fishing the best looking water!!!

I'll figure that lake out yet :Gonefishing:

Paul