Trolling Rod suggestions

I'm finally in a position where I can breakdown and buy a new setup. I 've already decided on a reel (Daiwa Sealine 47LC) and need a trolling rod to go with it. I definetly want an Ugly Stick but need to decide on the length and action (light/medium/heavy). Must be a 2 piece.

I intend to use it for walleye on Erie and salmon on Lake Ontario.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

HG

Not the Ugly Stick but... Shimano TDR 1801 - eight foot heavy action - for dipsey's and in-line planner boards... BPS had them on sale for $26.99 around Xmas and they can be bought for under $50.00 on any given day. It'll do everything you want and not break the bank and will match up with that Sealine very well!

HH

I'm not an ugly stick fan but it seems you have your mind made up.

For walleye a medium action.

For salmon a heavy action.

If you can't have both, a med-heavy 8'-9' rod will suffice.

Definitly heavy action for dipsys and inlines though.

I'd second HH's opinion on the TDR. I've landed many 30lber's on my med-heavy TDR and while it's a thrill ride I never had the uneasy feeling you get right before your rod snaps.

-Brian

I'm not an ugly stick fan but it seems you have your mind made up.

Definitly heavy action for dipsys and inlines though.

I'd second HH's opinion on the TDR. I've landed many 30lber's on my med-heavy TDR and while it's a thrill ride I never had the uneasy feeling you get right before your rod snaps.

-Brian

When I started this thread, I did have my mind set on an Ugly Stick but three nods for the Shimano TDR have got me reconsidereing. Any other opinions?

I would go with the Shimano...not the ugly stick. Some float fisherman call the ugly stick the american snagger....LOL If you ever fish US Tribs you would know why they call it that, really tough rods...they line them with 50 pound test and a size 1 hook with roe bag and jig very very hard....LOL, not my cup of tea!

Shimano TDR excellent all-round rod comes in different lengths & actions & a great price/warranty

I Dont totally see the need to spend big dollars on trolling rods - your seeing the hits in the hold holder, not feeling or detecting 'em by touch. I would rather spend the extra on a solid reel with a really good drag system & high retrieve ratio (that Sealine is a good choice!)

the only time I would spend a little more on a trolling rod is when pulling divers for salmon - those Talora's are the catts ass apparently.

Also dont buy cork, ya they look nicer, but its not neccessary

I'm finally in a position where I can breakdown and buy a new setup. I 've already decided on a reel (Daiwa Sealine 47LC) and need a trolling rod to go with it. I definetly want an Ugly Stick but need to decide on the length and action (light/medium/heavy). Must be a 2 piece.

I intend to use it for walleye on Erie and salmon on Lake Ontario.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

HG

Good choice on the reel, Ugly stic is a good rod for trolling, or you can match it up with a Daiwa Heartland 8'6" (HL-D862MS-G 12-20 lb.)Downrigger rod, v.good rod and for less then $30 you can't go wrong.

I agree, the Diawa Heartland is also a good alternative. I can't agree with the earlier reply regarding the Okuma's! They just don't last as long as the Diawa Sealine. Gear problems are their down fall... althought admittedly, I really do like the extra large handles on the Okuma... for the money, I'd just pony up another $30.00 and get the Sealine!

HH

Sealines are great reels but not the best for Kings ...as for Okuma they have fixed there problems with there reels i went to the Spring Show walk up to Greg at the Okuma both they handed me all new Catelina Upgrades for my Conevertors ..pull off the side panel pop on the new one all clicking drags now ....i have 25 Okumas and they are work horese for inline boards you need a strong reel and sealines just dont cut it ..i still have 15 Sealines i use for Walleye but for Salmon i no like ..i found it took customers way to long to bring in a fish ...

Interesting Fishmaster... not to steal away from the thread... I have a buddy who charters and he bought 4 Okuma's this year and only two are still working today! The worm gear on both are toast. He has Sealines he's been using for 12 years that are still working to this day! I've caught many salmon on my Sealine!

Everyone has their own experiences and loyalties and I for one am very happy to hear everyone's experience!

HH

Tell him to contact Okuma its over the counter Warnt and if he bougth them in 2007 where is he fishing i wana go there after some kings .......those are last years reels or OMEGAs ...like i said i have still lots of sealines still on my walleye boat that are over 8 years old and still kicken .. but i needed something more heavey for Dipsys and Inline boards ..

Edited by Fishmaster

One of our TV show friends here also had nothing but problems trying to run dipseys on the Okumas. They just kept slipping on him.

There's nothing wrong with the Ugly Sticks. They last forever and a day. I've got one that is 25 yrs old and still gets to see the water once in a while. I have a Shimano rod too and it is also very nice.

You may already have decided on the Ugly Stick, but I'll recomend the Shimano TDR like many others who replied. It's about the same price and action as the Ugly Stick, but you'll be getting a lifetime warranty with Shimano, as opposed to a 7 year for the Ugly Stick. I would go with at least an 8 footer, but preferably a 9. And, like Roy said, walleye and salmon are very different fish - medium for the walleye, heavy for the salmon, or compromise and go MH for both.

And, like Roy said, walleye and salmon are very different fish - medium for the walleye, heavy for the salmon, or compromise and go MH for both.

LOL!!! People always get Roy and I confused... we're like twins seperated at birth.

-Brian

Rick trust me Okuma is going to take over the Big Water Trolling Indust ...Okuma Makes Diawa Counterline Reels and many other reels yes the old Okuma reels sliped ...they have fixed this problem ...with clicking drags on the Convetors same drag system as the Catelinas ..if the drag dont click ask for this years 2007 Okuma Reels ...as for TDR's they are a great rod but only one year Warnt ..Ugly Sticks & Shimano Talora's Life Time Warnt ...

I love my 3 convectors I run with my ugly stick for muskie I did not have any problems last year but then again it was a slow fish season but I did pull alot of 9" thumper woodies around and hard pulling big lip lures with no problem you can shure bring in a bait easy with the convector Okuma is a great reel in my eyes. I will be buying one more this season and might check into the upgrade I knew of a problem with the mega but not the convector.

Guys, don't get me wrong, I like my Convector! I simply don't put the hours on a reel that others do. I was only relateing a friends experience, a friend who puts alot more hours on the water than I.

The over size handles on the Convector are great! I really wish that Diawa would put bigger handles on their line counters.

I felt I would not be doing H.G. any favours if I did not pass along what I've learned and heard from a very reliable source.

Good luck on your purchases HG! Regardless of what you end up buying, you'll have fun! :Gonefishing:

HH

PS... Tightlines in Pickering had the best prices I found, when I was looking last year! Beat BPS by about $20.00.