Anyone consistantly catch or target pike at night?

wuchikubo

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone consistently catch or target northern pike at night? I've caught the incidental pike while fishing for crappie in the spring but can't recall if I've caught one at night in the summer.

I've caught majority of my pike on flashy spinner bait type lures but have also caught them on jigs and crank baits, virtually all during the daylight or dawn and dusk.

Would it be futile to target them at night? I prefer not to fish with live bait.

Stan

Edited by HearingFish

I have caught at least 2 at night. Muct have been an accident. Dragging a black senko in little lake at midnight is the only one i can remember well.

I have heard that they can bite at night but it is fairly rare.

I've caught one only at night - it was under a full moon while walleye fishing on a white grub.

The whole catch and release process took about 10 seconds: I set the hook on the fish right below the bow and on the hookset it jumped in the boat, I grabbed it, the hook fell out, my friend was reviewing his pictures and had his camera in his hand, quick pick and back in the water. Fastest release I've ever done! Other than that fish, they're pretty much non catchable in the dark.

Edited by JoshS

Guest LivingLegend

I agree with all, i was smashing Pike on Smiths Bay between 8pm and 9pm mid summar. As soon as 9pm came around it died off almost instantly. They were loving spinners and small crank baits. I perfer not to use live bait aswell and this yr the Clackin Rap's have done me well!

I have caught at least 2 at night. Muct have been an accident. Dragging a black senko in little lake at midnight is the only one i can remember well.

I have heard that they can bite at night but it is fairly rare.

My Dad has caught the 2 biggest pike of his life--20 and just over 22 lbs--both at night. Both were caught on Geo Bay while trolling for walleyes w 7 in. Rapalas. one Rap had about a 6 inch alewife attached to it that he had snagged and simply left on the lure. The 22 lb one was caught around 11 at night. The fish broke the line as we were trying to remove the lure in the water next to the boat after a quick measurement/weighing (a big pike thrashing in the boat at night is not a good thing for you or the pike). All he said after catching it was "that was a $6 lure!"

Lesson: big water, big lures, big fish, sometimes even at night.

You mean like this?!?! B)

IMG_0587.jpg?t=1279681451

I've caught a hand full of pike after dusk, but they were all flukes. I think BC was just as surprised as I was when he hooked into this guy.. Only reason we were still out that late was because we still had some brews left in the cooler.. :tease:

thanks for all the great responses.

So judging by the responses I probably shouldn't try targeting pike after dusk and before dawn. However, the thought of hooking up with a pike on a top water buzz-bait style lure does sit in the back of my mind to try.

Edited by HearingFish

Pike are diurnal meaning they are most active during the period from dawn to dusk.

While it is always possible to catch the odd one at night you are better off fishing during the day if you want to catch them consistently.

thanks Dave,

I was thinking about that but also being stubborn in the head about it.

Maybe it's time to get together with some other night anglers and try and dispel the notion that they are not as active at night. Anyone game?

So judging by the responses I probably shouldn't try targeting pike after dusk and before dawn. However, the thought of hooking up with a pike on a top water buzz-bait style lure does sit in the back of my mind to try.

try this for smallies instead. Very fun and much more action for sure. smalljaws feed well at night.

Like Cudz says smallies will hit well at night, so will largemouth, walleye, cats and even skis(no fear). Your basic bass tackle at night can bring some surprises. I personally enjoy fishing at night, most lakes are a lot more peaceful.

its always been my experience that fishing of all kinds dies off after about 9. i fish temagami alot, its like a light switch going off. never caught anything past 930, its like they all run and watch law and order or something. its interesting to hear you guys catching bass at night.

i have caught pike at night ice fishing but they probably weren't watching the time.

Guest Johnny Bass

Pike at night are rare, but if your gonna target them, I would think that, live bait or something that makes alot of noise and/or flash would be the ticket.