Lightning Tragedy on the Grand River

I'm not sure how many of you have heard about this on the news as of yet, but yesterday near Brantford an intertuber was killed during the lightning storm. It's tragic and my condolences go out to his friends and family.

The whole ordeal has me mildy freaked out as Timmeh and I were fishing in the area and we exchanged pleasantries with the three intertubers. They casually floated by and were enjoying themselves. The area was still sunny but a pending storm was very clear. The sky behind us was BLACK and it was thundering. They jokingly asked us "So, what's the forecast?"

By this time, Tim and I had already recrossed the river to have quick access to his vehicle should it start coming down, but like two guys catching bass after bass we decided to keep fishing until the first sign of lightning (which should actually be the thunder). It started to open up and we left. It really opened up then, there were even mild floods in the area and it lightning'd and rained like I have not seen in quite some time. Tim commented to me saying "I hope those tubers got out of the water." Sadly, with today's reports, it sounds like they didn't.

This should be a reminder to all of us (ourselves included) that these storms are strong, unpredictable, and dangerous for those of us that frequent the water. We both had the impression that we cut it pretty close yesterday and I'm not sure that "fishing being great before a thunderstorm" would have been a good enough excuse for our families if something like that happened to us.

Again, my condolences. Keep it smart out there on the water folks.

Really sucks to hear. Gotta say The Weather Network is really screwing things up for me. Last week they said 100% thunderstorms and cancelled a fishing trip for me....And today they said only rain until Monday morning and all of a sudden I'm getting thunder and lightning within a kilometer from me at about 9pm.

Glad I got out of the water in time.

Anybody ever notice that the weather predictions as of late are just too awesome? :asshat:

http://www.theexpositor.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2674201

Actually it happened on Saturday aft...I was there when the police ambulance and frie trucks were in there. It was just half a block from my house. The sad part is they were just clear of the bridge when it happened.2 seconds later and they would have been under cover. I guess from what I gather the kids name was Tyrell and the one of the other kids on the tube was a sibling of the 25yr old. Just sad what can happen so fast. That happened in my favorite walley spot too.

Edited by tb4me

http://www.theexpositor.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2674201

Actually it happened on Saturday aft...I was there when the police ambulance and frie trucks were in there. It was just half a block from my house. The sad part is they were just clear of the bridge when it happened.2 seconds later and they would have been under cover. I guess from what I gather the kids name was Tyrell and the one of the other kids on the tube was a sibling of the 25yr old. Just sad what can happen so fast. That happened in my favorite walley spot too.

If you read my report, you'll see that I know it happened on Saturday, and yes, it's awfully sad that they were so close to making it to cover.

i was in the Lake ontario with my dog at bronte saturday when the storm rolled in. As soon as we heard thunder we ran for the car. By the time we got to the car (5 minutes maybe) it was hail and lightning pretty good. Just goes to show you how quick these things can happen!

So sorry to hear about this!!! just terrible news!

Had to go from Hamilton to Paris, to Brantford back to Hamilton Saturday afternoon, that was nuts. The old part of Brantford was under more than a foot of water from all the rivers that used to be streets pouring into downtown, hail lightening and I think locusts at one point.

Going back over the 403 bridge I did notice a pair of guys still on the river fishing out of a canoe, dang.

Had to go from Hamilton to Paris, to Brantford back to Hamilton Saturday afternoon, that was nuts. The old part of Brantford was under more than a foot of water from all the rivers that used to be streets pouring into downtown, hail lightening and I think locusts at one point.

Going back over the 403 bridge I did notice a pair of guys still on the river fishing out of a canoe, dang.

Yeah, I am sure we weren't the only ones pushing it a little that day. The fishing was good, but the weather was bad. I'll let my better judgment win out the next time.

I must say it was one of the most intense storms I have seen in quite some time and it came on fast (but anyone looking could have seen it coming).

I never put 2 + 2 together until last night when I realized it was my friend Kellys boyfriend Tyrell.

They had just broken up last week, feel horrible for her, needless to say she wasnt answering the phone.

Man thats bizarre and harsh....

It is always sad when a young life is lost for nothing. Every summer we see dozens of people out here fishing on the lake in thunderstorms. So far we havn't seen anyone get hit but it is only a matter of time.

I have often wondered what I would do if I did see some one get hit. I know it is the wrong thing but I would probably grab our defbrulator and head out to try to help them.

Edited by Big Cliff