First Carp Report of 2010

Tried waking Averie up at 6 a.m. to head out for our planned carp trip. She stayed up late with dad saturday night and was to tired to go... so I let her go back to sleep and hit the road alone.

Here's the view she missed on the way down to our carp spot.

IMG_9872.jpg

6:15 a.m. and I'm down at the water setting up... here's some tips for any Carp newbies on the board...

Locate some carp water...

IMG_9887.jpg

Chum the area with this... canned or cut of a cob

IMG_9888.jpg

rigged with 50lb Braid with a slip sinker, tied to a swivel, then a 3' fluorocarbon leader. Used 12lb this morning

IMG_9894.jpg

Cover your hook with corn

IMG_9889.jpg

IMG_9890.jpg

Fire your bait out in the area that you chummed earlier, and wait. Notice my home-made rod-pod...also doubles as a marshmallow stick for fires lol

IMG_9892.jpg

And by 6:30 I had my first fish on.. not big, but put up a good little scrap.

IMG_9875.jpg

IMG_9881.jpg

The release for you musky guys! lol

IMG_9883.jpg

6:35 I get a phone call from Averie who's now crying hystarically because I went fishing without her! :wallbash:

Packed up and went to get her... took her into town and fished bluegill in Lake Lisgar while we waited for Canadian Tire to open.

Getting good a firing her bait out with a spinning rod...

IMG_9935.jpg

She caught a bunch of these

IMG_9914.jpg

IMG_9920.jpg

I caught 1 also lol

IMG_9918.jpg

...and I was once again the worlds greatest Dad!

IMG_9963.jpg

Tooks some other pix early this morning during my short bout with carp fishing...

IMG_9897.jpg

Some weeds don't get the credit they deserve.... :whistling:

IMG_9895.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

IMG_9900.jpg

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

Guest Johnny Bass

Carp was the first sport fish I targetted. They can be alot of fun. Your little girl seems to have taken a fancy to fishin. Hope my neice does too!

Great Report & I love all the pics! Your little girl seems to have caught the bug already and she'll love these memories for her whole life! Great Stuff.

I've been thinking about giving carping a try for some time now. Would I be ok with a slightly smaller setup? 7' Medium St. Croix Avid Rod, 20lb power pro, slip-sinker, 12lb fluro leader? Carp water is easy to find and sometimes it just seems like a good way to get out fishing when you don't have a lot of time on your hands.

Great Report & I love all the pics! Your little girl seems to have caught the bug already and she'll love these memories for her whole life! Great Stuff.

I've been thinking about giving carping a try for some time now. Would I be ok with a slightly smaller setup? 7' Medium St. Croix Avid Rod, 20lb power pro, slip-sinker, 12lb fluro leader? Carp water is easy to find and sometimes it just seems like a good way to get out fishing when you don't have a lot of time on your hands.

you'll be fine with that ryan. i often use a 6'6 medium with 8-10 pound test and no lead. make my own cornmeal boilies too :D lol. if you ever wanna try down at the humber just drop me a line. no guarantee of fish but they are usually pretty beasty when you do.

Great report and pics Ryan :thumbsup_anim:

Is Averie ever growing fast.... She's got the casting down to a T..... pretty soon she'll want her own custom rod just like daddy :)

Sounds like a great time for the both of you!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

nice carp man. your a great photographer :)

your little girl is an absolute doll. good on ya dad.

Thanks dude - I'd be a better photographer if I actually knew what was doing with the camera! lol I just point and shoot then tweak them on the computer after!

Carp was the first sport fish I targetted. They can be alot of fun. Your little girl seems to have taken a fancy to fishin. Hope my neice does too!

Thanks JB - She's had the bug since day 1...

Hard to believe she went from this...

gallery_133_237_29274.jpg

To this in just a few short years...

DSCF2898.jpg

Yeah like Alex said you don't need to go so heavy with the braid... you don't even have to use braid but I like the sensitivity of it... when I was in college I used old 8lb mono and rarely had any break-offs... mind you I'd loosen the drag and let the fish run with it more...and it was a sandy area with little to no snags. Also, I use 50ll + braid now because I usually fish carp in a part of a reservoir that has a lot of sunken tree's and stumps so the braid keep me from breaking off. You should definitely give carp fishing a try! Once you hook into a brute you'll be hooked!

I try to get out at least 2 or 3 times a summer from my boat for big guys like this...

DSCF0511.jpg

great report

my nephew often changes his mind on fishing...usually just after i've just reached the other side of the lake. Usually worth it in laughs to go back for him though.

Bring a bucket and put one of the smaller fish you catch into the bucket and he'll likely play with it for hours... or even minnows as potential bait... ive even taken the portable dvd player out on the water but havent had to use it yet!

you'll be fine with that ryan. i often use a 6'6 medium with 8-10 pound test and no lead. make my own cornmeal boilies too :D lol. if you ever wanna try down at the humber just drop me a line. no guarantee of fish but they are usually pretty beasty when you do.

good tips alex! and nice offer! :thumbsup_anim:

Great report and pics Ryan :thumbsup_anim:

Is Averie ever growing fast.... She's got the casting down to a T..... pretty soon she'll want her own custom rod just like daddy :)

Sounds like a great time for the both of you!!!

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

Thanks Jaques! she's starting school in sept! time flies man! she'll have to save her pennies for that rod!

cheers,

Ryan

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

soo... in half an hour, you left your house, caught a carp, and then went home.... THAT'S AWESOME!!! lol

I also love seeing the fishing reports with averie ... has it already been "a few short years"? Oh geez I still remember the day you posted when she was born ...

Alright, you fellas have convinced me to give it a try. I'm going to get me some canned corn and find a local carp water and get it done. Any more tips for a carping noob? Also, if someone wants to PM me a spot in the Kitchener-Waterloo area that should yield fish (big or small), that would be appreciated.

Cheers, and thanks again for the helpful report.

Ryan

wow your little girl is such a cutie haha, i just showed my 4 year old son how she picked the fish up and threw it back into the water. and he know says he will do the same thing cause of that little girl can do it then so can I haha

great video. something to remember forever!

Cheers!