if you tow with a mid-size SUV

Raf

well, I got a real good deal on a Grand Cherokee... with a v8. Mileage wise, the I6 4.0L and V8 4.7L are really just about the same. 15/20 for the I6, 14/20 cty/hwy for the V8. That ole 4.0L is a bulletproof motor (my current XJ has 400,000 on the clock) but not terribly efficient. I did the math and if I did strictly city driving, it's a difference of roughly $5 every 1000kms. It'll take a lot of miles before the extra fuel cost adds up to what I've seen other vehicles cost.

And yes, it's a Jeep thing. I looked at other vehicles but in the end, the heeps have everything I am looking for.

Edited by Raf

Guest LivingLegend

Just picked up a 2009 Honda Pilot beginning of this yr, all I need is a boat now! Looks like i made a good choice for family and boat towing. Honestly Raf Im not gonna tell whats best cause i really dont have that answer, just take some of the advice u see here and go test out some and see what feels best for you, thats what its gonna boil down too............

Good luck and let us know what you get!thumbsup_anim.gif

Good choice on the V8 Raf. I went from a 4.0L Grand Cherokee to the V8 last year and the difference in towing especially uphill is significant.

The only thing is while the hwy gas mileage is about the same the city gas mileage is much different than they claim.

I looked into buying the CRD Liberty before my 4Runner actually. After reading the reviews I was steered away. I also work with a guy who owned one and he lived at the dealership. He sold it within a year. It is also tiny. Not looking to start an arguement here fellas just giving Raf my opinion.

I'll second that, I've sold a few over the years, and will NEVER have another on my lot again, i'm a small town dealer, and my reputation keeps me going. You want something to tow for $10,000? 1999 and up 2wd chevy or gmc with a 5.3L. I would say a 4x4 but you won't find one for 10g lol

Blow and whistle all you want Billy Bob, BUT, the Consumer Reports Bible Bashers are not the Holy Grail some of us seem to think. Pay attention, I was talking CRD...

Yes it is not the most comfortable, nor best finished, or best ride in the pack but value for money on the used market it is pretty darn good!

Who's watching the watch dogs? Dun dun dun...................

If you only have 1000 lbs to tow, you can get by with a small SUV. If you don't have a big budget, why not try the top-level RAV4? Nothing fancy but it probably fits the bill. I myself drive a 2001 Acura MDX and my boat + trailer is probably around 2000 lbs. No problem so far although I don't mind having a bit more HP. The new generation MDX has a lot more power though -- I tried it and even got a speeding ticket while towing. :wallbash: