Need some help to choose the right trolling motor!!

Jackie

Hey guys,

I have a 15ft Javelin bass boat and I am planning to get a new trolling motor for her because I just destroyed the old one couple days ago... I believe that old one is around 36lb thrust...

Now the question is: would a Minn Kota Edge (55lb thrust) be able to do the work? or is it necessary to go for a 70lb thrust? Would it cause more power/batteries for a higher thrust motor? Or is it better to go with 24 volt or 12 volt?

(NOTE!)My boat would only fit 3 batteries, 1 for cranking the outboard, the other 2 for trolling motor and other accessories on the boat.

I will be spending most of my time on Scugog this season, and Lake Scugog is a pretty weedy lake. So yea, please help me out guys!!!

Thanks!

Jackie

You don't need a 101 lb thrust motor on a 15 ft boat. That is huge overkill. Something in the 50 lb range will do just fine. A 24v system will treat you well, and you should be able to go 2 days without recharging. Motorguide makes some nice motors, check them out as well before buying anything. Seems to me that Minn Kota is adding alot more plastic to their motors from what I have seen. I have only used Motorguide for the last 20 yrs and when I am in the market for a new one, it will be a Motorguide since they have always been real good to me.

Javlin is a glass boat? 15 foot? a 70-75 pound thrust should be fine. 2 battery system, is your boat wired for 24 volts to the trolling motor or 12? Just something to consider.

yea it's a fiber-glass boat. and it's apparently running on a 12 volt system with 3 batteries connect (positive to positive, negative to negative). I will rewire it for a 24 volt trolling motor, but should I disconnect the cranking battery from the 2 trolling motor batteries?

Go big our stay home!

I'd be looking at the battery space for a 101-36v.

Get to Maximum Minn Kota 74-80 with variable speed. Was in a boat with that cheapie 70 Minn Kota what a piece of junk.

Bunch for sale on the BFB.

may I ask what BFB stand for? lol

You don`t want your cranking motor or any electronics wired to a 24 volt system, that includes lights in the boat or running lights. 24 volt for a 24 volt electric motor only.

Fished out of a lot of bass boats with 24 volt 70-75 pound thrust motors, and most in the 18-19 foot range, it should have no problems at all on a 15 footer. I had a 17 foot aluminum, with a 55# thrust Motor Guide, a high side boat compared to a glass bass boat, and it caught a lot more wind.

Depending on where and how you are accustomed to fishing you can save the batteries by planning an entrance to an area so you are not fighting the wind, plan your entrance to the wind, drifts you into an area, motor for control only. Quieter and saves juice.

Really no point in fighting the wind if you don`t have to.

for what it's worth my 2 cents....

I have an older 17.5 foot fiberglass bass boat and probably a heavier boat than a new bass boat. When I bought it it had a 12 v 35 lb...that was useless. I went with a motor guide 71 lb 24v, it works fine and will last all day on good batteries, top speed is 4 kmh. Some days it would be better to have just a bit more umph.

So I would suggest nothing smaller than something in the 70 lb range for yours. If you r not in a hurry look around for a good used one and save a few bucks.

I would go with a 24V system and get the biggest pounds thrust you can on your budget.

Don't forget to consider the batteries - I would go for a minimum of 29 series, but 31's would be even better. You'd never wear them down or be stranded with 31's.

I also would not recommend the new Forex Minn Kota. Have been in 2 different boats recently and the head has a very annoying squeak constantly. The one setting dead still on Scugog with a constant er,er er. To much for me, would need a sled hammer by second day.

Both were 101's.

BBF = Big Fat Bass

I would go with a 24V system and get the biggest pounds thrust you can on your budget.

Don't forget to consider the batteries - I would go for a minimum of 29 series, but 31's would be even better. You'd never wear them down or be stranded with 31's.

I have a motor guide 55# and use 2 D31 batteries and they do get wore down after about 6-7 hrs, used for 75% trolling and 25% positioning.

buy the variable speed 24v maxxum and be done with it - you'll be glad you went 24v. Lasts forever and chops weeds nicely.

Go with a 24V! I have one on my tinny and its awesome. I was in a 14ft tinny on the weekend with a 55lb and it didn't have that much juice.

Electric steer to Terrova 80lb no contest......Cable steer go Maxuum or Fortrex. Personal preference.

Jackie,

I have an older 17 foot Glass Bass Boat with a 24 volt Minn Kota Maxxum 65 lb. thrust. This thing is amazing in dense weeds. It just cuts right through them! I have two Group 31 batteries wired in series for the 24 volts. I use the third battery strictly as a 12 volt starting battery and to run the electronics.

This is more than enough power and runs all day.

Guest Johnny Bass

Javlin is a glass boat? 15 foot? a 70-75 pound thrust should be fine. 2 battery system, is your boat wired for 24 volts to the trolling motor or 12? Just something to consider.

Agreed. Go with the 70lb 24 volt minkota.

like everything, buy the biggest you can afford...

next thing to consider is cable steer or electric steer...

Cable steer is nice, but you always have to have your foot on the pedal

also seat height and location are very critical or you'll get tired easy and quick

electric steer will waste more batteries

also steers slower unless you go into a terrova, but thats $$$$

electric steer gives you option of wireless steering, also co-pilot, auto-pilot, i-pilot if you go with MK

biggest you'll get in 12V is 50 or 55lb

after that it's 24V

a 24V 65lb will last longer then a 12V 55lb i believe...

i've got an almost new MK All terrain 65lb, 1/2 season of use available...

my seat post is too far forward and i have size 15 feet, makes it tight upfront with the cable steer

send me an offer if you're interested... not looking to give it away though...

my 2 cents - 3 batteries 2 wired at 24v just for the trolling motor, 1 12v for engine and accessories. 24v lasts way longer - ive gone for days with my 80lb terrova. one thing i would attention to is the lift assist mechanism, the cable steers seem to go in and out easier?? my terrova is a pain in the ass to get in and out - i do the type of fishing where i move it 30 times a morning, keep this in mind!!

I have found that the digital technology is a great battery saver. So, whatever thrust you decide, my advice is to get the digital. My batteries, 24 series Cabela's AGMs last much longer with the digital Motorguide than they did with the analog Motorguide.

I have found that the digital technology is a great battery saver. So, whatever thrust you decide, my advice is to get the digital. My batteries, 24 series Cabela's AGMs last much longer with the digital Motorguide than they did with the analog Motorguide.