Where to buy St. Croix Triumph

Dr. Hook

JB's has triump rods for a good price, 401 and Martin Grove you can see it from the highway. Also I agree with the guys above the Mojo Bass rod is a far better rod for not a whole lot more. JB's has the full range of St. Croix rods. Lebaron may have some as well but I think JB's is gonna have the best selection.

Hey Dr Hook, try Gagnon Sports in Oshawa.

385 Bloor St. West

Oshawa, ON L1J 5Y5

905-725-5798

Give them a call first to check stock on the model you want, but I bought mine there. They are good people.

And the Triumph is a fine rod... if it meets your needs, that's all that matters. I've been using it for years now and love it. I do a lot of canoe tripping so the best part is that if something ever happens to it, I don't have to fork out a lot of coin to replace it.

Cheers!

not everyone fishes for panfish, maybe he's not looking for a bass rod.

the triumph is a fine rod, i use one of their 7' ML. great trout/walleye rod.

JBs is the place west-end toronto

Edited by Raf

I'm not embarrassed to say that I own a triumph (among many other St. Croix Rods). It is fine. It's a good, all around, multi-species rod in the $60-$75 range. I even got my triumph serviced on warranty with no questions asked. For the price, it is close to the top of the field (for that price range).

The problem with Triumph:

1) It is the only St. Croix Rod made in China, with weaker graphite.

2) You will not apply for the St. Croix Tradeup program and newest warranty service.

3) Triumph Rods have been discontinued for the made in USA Rio (Santa Fe?) model.

If you're ever in the Kitchener-Waterloo area you could check Rainbow Sports or Fishing Fanatics - they both have them. I could also sell you mine as I plan on getting a new LT or Avid in a few weeks - pm if interested.

If I'm going with St. Croix (which I generally do) and if I'm on a budget I wouldn't think twice about getting a premier.

You should just feel the rods and get the one you like the most. Bring the reel you plan on using!

Hope that helps.

Spend the extra 20-30 bucks more for the Premier, you won't regret it. That said, I'll second checking out JB's Fishing Depot. As for the poster who said that the Triumph is built with the Avid blank, you are dead wrong on that. The Triumph is St. Croix's entry level rod and is entirely built in China not the good 'ol U S of A. They are a decent rod for the money.

Edited by bigbuck

fairly certain the triumphs use premiere blanks -- certainly not avid. the materials used are all quality. being assembled in china is what makes it cheaper.

Just acquired a St. Croix Triumph for cheap, the above statement is good enough endorsement. :thumbsup_anim:

My fly rod is a triumph fairly decent for the price. Only paid $150 bucks for the entire combo.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being made in China, since almost everything is and sometimes when something is made in Canada or USA for that matter its mostly just final assembly. Who's to say where the blank or graphite was sourced from?

My fly rod is a triumph fairly decent for the price. Only paid $150 bucks for the entire combo.

I wouldn't worry too much about it being made in China, since almost everything is and sometimes when something is made in Canada or USA for that matter its mostly just final assembly. Who's to say where the blank or graphite was sourced from?

The Triumphs are a different graphite grade from the rest of the St. Croix products.

They actually discontinued the Fly Rod Triumphs (and potentially all of them) as my first fly rod purchase this year was the "new triumph."

It's a Rio Sante Fe or something, and it qualifies for their superstar program.

I have four Triumph rods. I bought two of them at Fishing World and two of them at Bill's Bait and Tackle. Both stores are in Hamilton.

I think the rods are great, although admittedly, have never tried a more expensive rod.

Jim

As already mentioned the blanks in the triumph and premier rods are the same, they are put together by different people.

What you really need to consider is how often you plan on using the rod and if you're the kind of person who likes to upgrade your fishing equipment regularly.

If you're only fishing occasionally no need to spend big $$ on a rod. If you're going to use it all the time maybe you want to invest a little more. I've personally seen 1 triumph explode in the river and apparently others here have seen the same thing.

If you think later on you'll upgrade your rod it's probably worth spending the extra $ now. Or you'll end up buying a rod today and then next year it'll sit in your rod rack while you use the new one.