Bucktail rippin on Sparrow

Guest Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Haven't gone fishing in 3 weeks. Wanted to wait for bass opener, but the weather wasn't co-operating so I decided to go on Friday the day before opener. Rented a boat from walleyeman at Sparrow Lake.

Now I have always disliked Sparrow for some reason. First few times I went in the spring, we did exceptionally well a very long time ago. The last few times, I have had a hard time. I rented a boat a few times in the middle of the summer and got near skunked TWO outings in a row. That is RARE for me. Mind you I stayed in the south east end of the lake, near lauderdale. Even went with my boat and did average.

After further investigating? The lake has a lot of potential! When I sold my boat, the only place I could find a boat rental last minute was Sparrow. We went there for bass opener last year and did exceptional. She wanted to go back. And we have done decent every time(4 -5 times now).

I asked the guy if the pickerel where biting. He said they are deep and that they would come in to feed early morning, late evening and if I get lucky, I may nail one with a bucktail, but it was unlikely(I asked how the bucktail bite was).

Well we were off to a late start. 10 am. Tried throwing out Spinner baits and Husky jerks that I did well on pike the last time around. Nothing.

So I put a grub on her and a bucktail on me. We started nailing them. I caught a decent smallie, many decent largies(didn't post pics) and pike. Fishing deep weedlines.The bass seem to have moved off their spawning beds.

By the way. These are the bucktails I made myself, thanks to the advice of a fellow OFNer and the help of a former OFNer ROB P a hard core musky guy that lent me his fly tying vice. I was using 6 pound Triline Sensation.The silver pack. I got bit off by the first pike. I threw out the Husky Jerk and spinner baits and nothing. Went back to the bucktails and I was nailing the pike like no tomorrow. They were even swallowing deep and weren't getting bit off. I guess I was lucky! My other buddies best lure for pike on Sparrow is the jig and pig but it wasn't bass opener yet.

Here are a few pics of some of the better pike.

walleye030.jpg

walleye033.jpg

My friend was feeling a little ill. So she didn't fish much. But we went for a swim on the beach and we spotted a school of sunfish and she had fun catching them for a good hour.lol I had some power bait maggots and really small jig heads and they worked like a charm. She also nailed a big sunfish and some decent bass on her confidence grubs. Which I found more of!

I was rip jigging on a deep weed edge. Don't know how deep, since I have no fish finder. But I get a hit. I was catching all kinds of pike in the area but this felt different. It surfaces? PICKEREL! In the boat. Shortly after? ANOTHER PICKEREL! Can you say fish fry???

walleye036.jpg

After that I seemed to have drifted off the spot. Couldn't find it, but was still catching pike and largies. Still! I have caught very few pickerel on Sparrow and now I have a great technique! Rippin bucktails! Just bring lots of them, because the pike are many.

And they were light ones. 1/4 ounce walleye jigs(long shank), black head, straight black bucktail.

What sucks is that we had to leave right after I figured the pickerel out, since she was feeling ill. 6:30P.M but I still had a blast.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed the report.

Nice report. I fished the same grounds in the same boat as you in late May. Tried jerks to daredevle to bucktails to spinners on a hot, bright and choppy day without any luck. Only two OOS spawning smallies on the jerk were caught between 3 of us. I'll probably head back sometime soon now, as those are some decent fish!

Nice report, those pike are nice! ... and those pickerel, i bet they tasted fantastic! lol... thanks for sharing....

this forum blows my mind, every post makes me want to skip the day at college, grab my boat, and head for the water. lol..... thanks guys :)

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice report. I fished the same grounds in the same boat as you in late May. Tried jerks to daredevle to bucktails to spinners on a hot, bright and choppy day without any luck. Only two OOS spawning smallies on the jerk were caught between 3 of us. I'll probably head back sometime soon now, as those are some decent fish!

Thanks guys.

We did really well on the pike in May in Duck bay.

The largies are plentiful now and I caught quite a few decent ones. Just look for weeds and start casting.

Edited by Johnny Bass

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice report, those pike are nice! ... and those pickerel, i bet they tasted fantastic! lol... thanks for sharing....

this forum blows my mind, every post makes me want to skip the day at college, grab my boat, and head for the water. lol..... thanks guys :)

Just finished eating them and they were delicious!

I've fished Sparrow once for a full week and we did quite well also. I got a 5lb SMB and our group got some pickeral as well. The pike seemed to also be in the same size range as yours (and Duck Bay produced).

I figured out the lure colour early in the week and it produced all week and also seems to produce best of Couchaching as well. All and All I would say that Sparrow seems to be a solid fishery.

Congrats on a great trip and thanks for sharing your report!

Nice report Johnny.

2nd pic looks like you were fishing the deep weed bed line just out from duck bay..Good spot.Give duck bay a try,if you didnt.Look for the same structure.Deep drop of weeds.Jerk baits.Husky bass always did me well.

Again

TFS.

Guest Johnny Bass

Thanks again guys. Just received the pics of the largies, but wont post them because they were caught one day before opener. Tomorrow going to Scugog and will be my official bass opener! AND I am bringing my own camera, so I will be able to post the report sooner. Lets hope the fish co-operate!!