Hot Action Lake Ontario

Fishmaster

Awesome fish...and amazing fishing...i wish we had that up north....i would love to get into that in L Superior, but that just doenst happen anymore....great job....those i bet are 5 HAPPY CUSTOMERS!!

yes salmon are good to eat but not over 30 inches and woman and children under 15 should not eat any over 20 inches and coho should not be eaten over 26 inches and no cohos over 26 for men and 16 inches for woman and children .. if you concider that good to eat great

Edited by chessy

The food in the grocery stores will kill you as well. I really do not think chessy is concerned with anyones health though.

I think it is a rough business to be in if you want to tell people that they should not be doing something they have a legal right to do. You have to have a thick skin for that business. So don't go getting your feelings hurt when your brought up on it.

Want the laws changed? Do what you think you would have to do to change them.

I am not so sure that I agree with the 5 fish deal either. It is a put and take though. I just do not get all the bashing of the charter guys.

Personally I think it is more sporting to go out and track them down in the open water then to fish them on the spawn.

Awesome stuff!! I heard that the coho's are on fire on the south shore.

Its unbelievable to watch some of the guys whine on here about the fish stocks.

most of which have no clear idea of the amount of fish put into Lake O every year.

If you guys what to make a difference go get involved. Join a club like the CRAA or go put in some time at ringwood. I can tell you that I have seen none of the whiners out there getting their hands dirty. If you have time to fish and time to spend on the net complaining about how many fish other guys are keeping then you have time to go out and put in 2-3 days a year helping out. Right?? Apparently not.

FYI Steelhead are very hard to release out on the lake, they fight until they are almost dead,

I would rather see guys keep them then see them floating around on the lake.

hey troutguy i get my hands dirty alot . usually 5 weeks a year

grimace i have no hard feelings against the charter boats but what i have a hard problem with is targeting them when things are slow . like you said they fight hard and usually belly up . some are released succsessfully . a good fisherman knows what temp to find salmon in and when they go out to 300 feet of water and rip rainbows all day that is a differnent story

grimace i have no hard feelings against the charter boats but what i have a hard problem with is targeting them when things are slow . like you said they fight hard and usually belly up . some are released succsessfully . a good fisherman knows what temp to find salmon in and when they go out to 300 feet of water and rip rainbows all day that is a differnent story

So what happens when your only 4 miles off shore in 130 fow and the bows are mixed in the same water as the kings are ...should i just go home tell the guys we can't fish cause there is bows in the lake lol...guess you don't know lake ont to well ...fishing has been far from slow best year ive seen since the 80s ... keep up the good work USA stock millions of bows and salmon so we can have fun and eat .... :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Fishmaster

Great action and kudos for releaseing some bows.

But I have to comment on some 'MYTHS' in this thread.

Lake Ontario steelhead are put and take (false). The steelhead are mostly wild.

Released steelhead in the lake will die (false - if handled properly and hot gill hooked)

Steelhead are mainly WILD fish in Lake Ontario, but the exact levels are hard to confirm since NY state recently stopped clipping their Chambers Creek stocking (700-900,000 fish per year). They do clip all Skamania. Ontario clips all of their steelhead stcoked (Right Ventral or Adipose). Most hatchery rainbows have damage to their dorsal fin from life in the hatchery. So if a fish is missing a fin it is prime for the keeping. But wild steelhead need our help. Runs in Ontario are depressed and over harvest (in lake and river) is a leading suspect.

The Pacific salmon are stocked by NY and Ontario for a put and take fishery. All stocked chinook are adipose clipped back to 2008 year class (now hitting 10-15 pounds). Natural reproduction of chinooks is very, very high. NYSDEC estimates average WILD chinook reproduction from the Salmon River, NY alone to be 4 to 10 million salmon every year. NYSDEC only stocks 1.8 million chinook into all NY state waters from the Black to Niagara. MNR has no clue what our natural reproduction rates are because they have no money for propper assesment and hit the field long after most chinook juveniles leave rivers for the lake.

As for releasing bows in the lake, minimize out of water time, barbless hooks are great and consider unhooking smaller fish at the side of the boat without netting them. Many of CRAA's tagged steelhead that have been caught and released in the lake have returned to the Credit to spawn again. Catch and release works.

Steelhead catch rates have increased dramatically in the past three years (at their highest rate ever - NYSDEC 2009 report). This happens to coincide when NY state lowered their steelhead limit to 1 fish, minimum 21" on shore and 3 fish, minimum 21" in the lake. Steelhead returns to NY's Salmon River hatchery increased by 200% over the same period. Yet the Ganaraska steelhead run continues to hold at 25% of its best run. In the same period the Credit River's steelhead run has also increased by roughly 80% due to very high release rates.

I encourage all anglers to watch for fin clips on Lake Ontario steelhead and consider releasing fish with all their fins so they have a chance to spawn and improve our future fishing.

Tight lines,

John

I agree with lower Steelhead limits, the 3-1 limit is adequate.I do find it hard to beleive that sportfishing is the only cause for lower returns of adult fish.Perhaps the Ganaraska is suffering from other factors ie degraded spawning areas, trout not being able to navigate the system to prime spawning areas. The Credit river stocks should increase now with the great work being done mainly for the Atlantic program, but also the Steelhead will take advantage the river rehabilitation,it's also nice that Steelhead are being transfered to proper spawning areas.It dosn't matter how many Trout are released if the fish are impeaded from spawning, I still beleive the biggest hurdle to jump concerning our Greatlakes Salmonoid populations is not overharvest but lack of access to available spawning beds.There are many other factors to consider in the success of the Salmon river trout from water quality to flows to rehablitation of spawning beds, ect.Like I said at the begining lower limits may help,but alot of other factors need to be addressed to see a large increase in Steelhead population.

On another note I think the Pen rearing practices for both salmon & trout our American neighbours are doing has drasticly increased there return rates.This maybe having a dramatic effect on returns in Ontario waters since American straglers are not finding rivers in Ontario to spawn.

Edited by canadadude

John, I jave great respect for all the groups across the lake who volunteer $$$ & time for the good of the fishery, thank you

like FM said, its tough when we are fishing for salmon with large trebles & flasher/flies & the rainbows start pecking away at our spread of baits,,,

as long as limits are followed & no fish are wasted, you cant really ask us to do more.... and yes I do fish for rainbows in the fall/winter as well so i do value the fishery that we are fortunate to have

Great action and kudos for releaseing some bows.

But I have to comment on some 'MYTHS' in this thread.

Lake Ontario steelhead are put and take (false). The steelhead are mostly wild.

Released steelhead in the lake will die (false - if handled properly and hot gill hooked)

Steelhead are mainly WILD fish in Lake Ontario, but the exact levels are hard to confirm since NY state recently stopped clipping their Chambers Creek stocking (700-900,000 fish per year). They do clip all Skamania. Ontario clips all of their steelhead stcoked (Right Ventral or Adipose). Most hatchery rainbows have damage to their dorsal fin from life in the hatchery. So if a fish is missing a fin it is prime for the keeping. But wild steelhead need our help. Runs in Ontario are depressed and over harvest (in lake and river) is a leading suspect.

The Pacific salmon are stocked by NY and Ontario for a put and take fishery. All stocked chinook are adipose clipped back to 2008 year class (now hitting 10-15 pounds). Natural reproduction of chinooks is very, very high. NYSDEC estimates average WILD chinook reproduction from the Salmon River, NY alone to be 4 to 10 million salmon every year. NYSDEC only stocks 1.8 million chinook into all NY state waters from the Black to Niagara. MNR has no clue what our natural reproduction rates are because they have no money for propper assesment and hit the field long after most chinook juveniles leave rivers for the lake.

As for releasing bows in the lake, minimize out of water time, barbless hooks are great and consider unhooking smaller fish at the side of the boat without netting them. Many of CRAA's tagged steelhead that have been caught and released in the lake have returned to the Credit to spawn again. Catch and release works.

Steelhead catch rates have increased dramatically in the past three years (at their highest rate ever - NYSDEC 2009 report). This happens to coincide when NY state lowered their steelhead limit to 1 fish, minimum 21" on shore and 3 fish, minimum 21" in the lake. Steelhead returns to NY's Salmon River hatchery increased by 200% over the same period. Yet the Ganaraska steelhead run continues to hold at 25% of its best run. In the same period the Credit River's steelhead run has also increased by roughly 80% due to very high release rates.

I encourage all anglers to watch for fin clips on Lake Ontario steelhead and consider releasing fish with all their fins so they have a chance to spawn and improve our future fishing.

Tight lines,

John

We hit a school of Steelies so thick we hit two triple headers and 3 double headers on them in under an hour...Don't mind the haters jealousy will get you know where!!! For the few fish 6 of you kept imagine how many they take home all year...

I'm heading back out Friday morn 5am hope the bite is still going strong!!!

Just to add to Canadadude's comments on steelhead recruitment or survival.

Causes for steelhead declines?

The Ganny fish have better access to quality spawning habitat today than they did in 1985-90 era (record years). The habitat is as good or better. Water flows are fairly stable on the long term average, again getting better. Why the decline? Most steelhead biologists I know suggest harvest (severe over harvest) is the main cause, but many other factors contribute. LOMU stated harvest was around 50% for the Ganny population between lake and river (Bowlby and Stanfield 2000/2001). The Swank PhD thesis on Great Lakes steelhead and the Brule River studies indicate the maximum sustainable harvest for Great Lakes steelhead is 15%. I could write a 50 page essay on this alone, but I doubt anyone realy wants to read all that much - we should be fishing. The second major cause for decline is poor year classes. A hot, dry summer can lead to 10% juvenile survival compared to a cold, wet summer in a decent stream. As this depressed year class ages they are hit with angler harvest and natural mortality. It then results in a poor spawning as they mature because not enough adults were alive to spawn. Add 3 hot summers back to back and you have a population decline, or 3 cold summers and you have a population expansion. Lower harvest helps to balance the population so bad years are buffered to ensure we have enough spawners (RSR - repleat spawner rate). The RSR should target 50-70%. The Ganny is lucky to break 40% these days and yet in the late 80's it was 60% plus. Other factors include zebra muscles, lower lake biomass and lake survival. However, lake survival should effect every river population the same. Yet the ganny population crashed in 1991-93 and the Wilmot population crashed in 96 (2-3 years after the small stream was on a popular fishing show of the era many times).

Check out this link for info on a population that had all harvest stopped on a Great Lakes steelhead trib. The population increased by 300-400%. All other rivers around it with harvest have not changed and some have declined. Spawning access is also constant. Only harvest changed.

www.northshoresteelhead.com/images/Slide1web.JPG

If the population can handle 15% harvest, great...lets eat. But what happens when year after year we kill 30% of the population. We are left with crumbs. Sadly, the regulations are often not enough and they do not change fast enough.

And keep in mind, if you catch a clipped steelie it is a put and take stocked fish. That is perfect for the table. But consider letting the wild ones swim!

Tightlines,

John

A few pics from the other day on the lake with a good friend and partner in conservation from CRAA, Justin.

5 hours or so on the water, 7/12 plus a few knock offs. All off Port Credit.

Two triples, and steady action, topped by a 32-33 lb king and 7 lb Atlantic. With some bows and a coho it was a grand slam.

All fish released to fight another day.

John

See you another day.

AP6250162A.jpg

Nice Coho

AP6250161A.jpg

32-33 lb King

AP6250152A.jpg

Atlantic

AP6250146B.jpg

Steelie (notice no dorsal - hatchery fish)

AP6250145.jpg

Teen chinook

June25-chinook1.jpg

Release shot

June25-releasepic.jpg

Further to Johns comments the flood of 1980 at the Ganny and other eastern flows ie Wilmot cleaned out the spawning beds of silt, providing many years of quality spawning for steelhead and excellent survival rates as well, as the populations increased thru the 1980s until 1989 where record numbers were recorded in all eastern tribs, thru normal springs with normal runoff siltation occurs naturally once again, covering prime spawning gravel and reducing natural spawning habitat, hense the decline in steelhead populations, the flood in Peterborough where I live in 2004 had it happened 20 miles south along the lakeshore would have once again set the tables for another 10 or so years of increased steelhead populations, thats my 2 cents maybe a little more

Further to Johns comments the flood of 1980 at the Ganny and other eastern flows ie Wilmot cleaned out the spawning beds of silt, providing many years of quality spawning for steelhead and excellent survival rates as well, as the populations increased thru the 1980s until 1989 where record numbers were recorded in all eastern tribs, thru normal springs with normal runoff siltation occurs naturally once again, covering prime spawning gravel and reducing natural spawning habitat, hense the decline in steelhead populations, the flood in Peterborough where I live in 2004 had it happened 20 miles south along the lakeshore would have once again set the tables for another 10 or so years of increased steelhead populations, thats my 2 cents maybe a little more

What alot of people dont know is after the big flood in the 80's thousands of pond rainbows from the upper ganny ponds got mixed in to the numbers of wild fish. I have fished the Ganny for 30 years now and have seen alot of things change on this river system. Places were you had miles of great spawning water not wiped out by silt. People are fast to say its because of people are keeping to many fish in the river and the lake but they never realy look at all the facts. Did you know that the Ganny is up a few thousand

bows from last year run and the counter was put in late, did you also know that a few thousand bows now run in the fall too that are not counted.

Bottom line is, fish are for everyone to enjoy and no one has a right to say anything about another angler{s} that follows the law.

lol you have no clue do you??? Ill put $1000 dollars on the table that I can catch bows, salmon, lakers in all the same water temp. Do you think a bow swims around and says oh now its cold here we better leave this food alone and look for warmer water with food. When I read some stuff on here I wonder how you can even open your mouth when you have no clue about lake fishing. Last year my salmon to trout in the blue water in August was 3-1 so dont try and tell people you know what is out in the deep water.How many days do you spend on the water in a year? do you think that the cold water is only in one spot on the lake?. I could go on and on but people like yourself think they know about Lake O fishing but in the end you have no clue and try and make others think you do. If you would like to chat some time give me a call would be more then happy to bring 12 charter boat captains with me and you can teach us what you know about that lake. Would love to learn more from you.

Yes, everyone has a right to their opinion. This is however a fishing community. No one enjoys being harassed every time they take the time to post a report. If you don't like the catch limits, have them changed. Don't come on here belly aching about seeing pictures of fish on a fishing board.

Please keep this in mind the next time you post.

Amen to that!!! :rolleyes: