THE OPENER - BASS - Who, What, Where, When

Here is the standard Bass Opener thread that is bound to get posted 4-6 times, but I figured I'd get the ball rolling. (Did you guys hear about the snakefish?)

Where are you going?

What baits do you plan on focusing on for the first few weeks?

What baits do you plan on avoiding?

What aspects of bass fishing do you hope to improve on throughout the season?

I have a weeklong, Georgian Bay vacation approaching, so I'm personally going to stick close to home for some SMB until that time. I'll probably fish the Grand and I may try to get out onto Guelph Lake.

I plan on avoiding the use of Live Bait throughout the season unless I am with my nephew, as at least one of us needs to be bobbing so that I can help him out.

My attention will be focused the following baits - Gulp Leeches, Senkos, Dropshotting Bass Magnet Minnows, Swimbaits, Topwater frogs & Mice, as well as my Rapala arsenal.

ALSO, my new focus is fishing for SMB on the fly as well. This is my first year fly-fishing and I'm looking forward to some of those tough-fighting river bass on the fly.

As for improvement, I hope to diversify the locations I fish a little more and practice locating both river bass and lake bass.

Best of Luck to All This Weekend and Beyond! Clip those Barbs!

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Where - North Kawarthas/Kawartha Highlands.

What - Generic Senko, plastic toads, Flukes, Pop "R", Swimbaits, Square Lip Crankbaits.

Avoiding except as a last resort - in-line spinners, lizards, jerkbaits.

New technique - Swimbaits

Garry2R's

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I will be spending my first bass trip on a small lake north of the soo. I use small white/offcolour/green grubs as these small lake bass are gorging on the hex hatch. I tend to avoid a lot of typical "bass" baits on these small lakes as they seem to spook the fish. I hope to improve on my PB smallie which now stands at over 7 lbs using the above strategy.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

What aspects of bass fishing do you hope to improve on throughout the season?[/b]

I've always been able to pick up a rod, put on one of the very few lures I had, and managed to catch fish.

This year, due to the fact that I am fishing tournaments in a small local bass club, I have decided to learn about when and why I should use different techniques, and what type of rod setups is best.

I've already learned so much, and the season hasn't even began (besides a few pike tournies)

Wish me luck!

Q. Where are you going?

A. no clue, really trying not to be on the lake simply cause of the boat traffic.

Q. What baits do you plan on focusing on for the first few weeks?

A. probably gonna drop shot drop offs next to weed lines and pitch into heavy cover.

Q.What baits do you plan on avoiding?

A. live baits.. no more live baits!

Q.What aspects of bass fishing do you hope to improve on throughout the season?

A. improve bait casting (not bass fishing but in general.)

Q. Where are you going?

A. Kawarthas. (sturgeon or Bog)

Q. What baits do you plan on focusing on for the first few weeks?

A. as many bass lures in my box that I can..

(so when my GF says you dont use them all.. i can prove her wrong!)

Q. What baits do you plan on avoiding? except as a last resort

A. plastics and spinner baits.

(did to much of it last year..unless thats all the fish are hitting.)

Q. What aspects of bass fishing do you hope to improve on throughout the season / New technique

A. Drop shot.

A. Deep water Bass fishing. aka deeper the the bog and most of the kawarthas.

A. more time spent using top water frogs in the thick stuff. (spro,snagproof,scumfrog, etc)

-FM

Going to Lake Temagami for a week. My first real fishing trip. For smallmouth will be using mostly senkos and the bass pro stik o version. Weather is not looking to good for Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday forecast low of 5 and high of 13.

Where are you going?

Trilakes with fellow OFNer for a tournie.

Flipping Jig and tossing the odd jerkbait for smallies.

Anything that is not the above.

Every year the migration/movement of fish change, hopefully I can figure this years out.

Good Luck all.

Where are you going?

Mountsberg - wet line by 7am

Super Spook & Pop-R early morn, Koppers Bluegill/Pumpkinseed mid-morn, jig & pig afternoon

Anything that swims deeper than 6ft

Using FishFinder effectively, Flip&Pitch, Working drop-offs, Truly understanding/figuring out my own patterns

Where are you going?

The Saturday specifically I will be hitting up a local pond in the Niagara Region, but more importantly over the holiday I will be fishing up Parry Sound!!!

This will be my first year using anything other than worms and minnows. But I have the full arsenal lined up, and from what I've heard from the good fisherman its best to switch it up because you never know whats hot one day may not be the next. So last year my fishing arsenal consisted of a 20$ Walmart rod w/ the hooks and sinkers that came with it. Over the winter months I've probably spent a good couple hundred dollars on the following :

A Plano box full of swim baits.

A box full of spinners.

A box full of spoons.

A box full of tubes/soft plastics.

A box full of top waters and some crank/jerk baits.

Way too much terminal gear, and more fishing rods than I ever thought I would need.

So lets just say I clearly caught the bass bug last summer!

Live baits. All last year I was only confident in live bait as that's all I had ever fished with (when I was much younger). But after getting tons of pike and OOS bass on lures and spinners I'm hoping that I will never go back to live bait!

I really want to give top water a shot. I met up with Rich from these forums last season and after watching him get fish after fish top-water lures while I had no bites fishing with worms...Really gave me the itch to get into fishing and trying out all the different techniques. I blame OFC for making me spend so much money on fishing stuff! Hell I don't even eat fish... that's the one thing that makes people scratch their heads after making all these investments haha.

Can't wait for bass!!! But I will have to.

:Gonefishing:

gonna head out tomrrow morning on hamilton harbour with my buddy and my son.

gonna throw whatever i have to, to get them to bite. jigs, senkos, frogs, cranks, spinners, drop shot.

gonna try to avoid a senko as much as i can and force myself to fish other techniques.

gonna spend more time on jigs, and swimbaits.

sunday ill be on pigeon lake for a tourney. jigs and frogs are the plan!

Bills The Bass Man

did you go running to the mods yet? did I do anything wrong? I'm afraid to even post anything anymore in case you shut me down again..I certainly dont care where you will be going this year as I don't actually fish and I'm just interested in following you around online despite the fact you're going to be actually fishing.

Fixed.

Where are you going?

The Saturday specifically I will be hitting up a local pond in the Niagara Region, but more importantly over the holiday I will be fishing up Parry Sound!!!

:Gonefishing:

That's awesome man - I'm in the Parry Sound area from July 3-10 and I'll be fishing the vacation as aggressively as possible. We'll have to swap reports after and see how we made out with what. I'll be on an island in G-Bay though.

Re: Your Live Bait and Lure Purchases:

Fishing lures is a way to be "more involved" with fishing. You get a bigger reward from catching a fish on a lure that YOU put the action on. What you're going through is just a natural progression - live bait, lures, soft plastics, crazy-rigged soft plastics, fly-fishing etc. Fishing is a cycle I've found, just to keep things exciting.

Pointer - put specific actions on lures and baits and avoid just "reeling them in." Anglers who put action on their baits catch more fish. Period. You'll learn the "right" action, but that changes. Just mix it up.

Every year the migration/movement of fish change, hopefully I can figure this years out.

Good Luck all.

Yep, that's what I like to focus on as well. Locating fish and figuring out their migratory patterns. I have a philosophy that lots of different fish will eat lots of different baits at lots of different times. You need to find them first and then you're absolutely in business.

I've always been able to pick up a rod, put on one of the very few lures I had, and managed to catch fish.

This year, due to the fact that I am fishing tournaments in a small local bass club, I have decided to learn about when and why I should use different techniques, and what type of rod setups is best.

I've already learned so much, and the season hasn't even began (besides a few pike tournies)

Wish me luck!

Good Luck! :thumbsup_anim:

I'm a little suspect of all the new rods these companies have coming out. Ex: "You need this rod for Senkos. You need this other rod for topwater baits. You need these other 3 rods for Crankbaits, Tubes, and Jigs." Try to avoid buying into those philosophies when you're rod shopping (Unless you're fishing the FLW)

Congrats on picking things up this season and keep it up. One of the best parts of fishing is standing on a hole, where you know they are fish, and figuring out exactly what their palette desires!

Ryan

Where are you going?

Somewhere north of London :whistling:

Heavy weight sinkworms, swimbaits, lunkerhunt lizards

Nothing in particular

Catching bigger fish

Edited by Dutchy