The Progression of a Fly Fishing Newbie

laszlo

Some of you may remember last fall when I started the topic 'The Progression of a Steelhead Newbie'. A lot was learned and many of you gave great advice.

That eventually got me into float fishing with a centerpin and float rod. I would say last fall was the best fishing I've done in many years!

Next week I'll be buying my first fly rod/reel and will be documenting it all here in this topic up to my first fish on the fly.

Can't wait!

Stay tuned...

Edited by laszlo

Go get em Laz....

As is everything with fishing when you change presentations ...you have to spend money to save money... pick up an entry level fly tying kit to appreciate the entire capture of your species...there is nothing better then landing a fish on a fly you created from a few materials and a hook

You should start a poll on this thread for fun to see who thinks youll land your first on the fly rod

Good Luck

Say it aint so Laz :thumbsup_anim:

Getting into fly fishing is almost like getting into float fishing but it’s much worse…

Why?

- 1 fly rod doesn’t do it all…You’ll NEED fly rods in all different lengths and actions

- You’ll never look at a rabbit at the pet shop the same way again…No need to mention road kill

- You’ll shove various fly magazines underneath your mattress (maybe that was just me)

- You’ll pretend your lawn is a trout stream and your neighbours (along with the mail man) will think you’re weird

DSC_1378.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the journey

I'm looking forward to this. I've been trying to get myself started for a couple of years but I always seem to end up leaving the fly gear in the car cuz it's too windy or something. Truth is it's just easier to go with what I know and chase the bass with a spinning rod.

Mebbe I'll feel more like I've got company on the river this way. :good:

So, are you starting wet or dry?

JF

I'm looking forward to this. I've been trying to get myself started for a couple of years but I always seem to end up leaving the fly gear in the car cuz it's too windy or something. Truth is it's just easier to go with what I know and chase the bass with a spinning rod.

Mebbe I'll feel more like I've got company on the river this way. :good:

So, are you starting wet or dry?

JF

Starting Wet. I have had some luck with wet fly's before matched with a float.

That set up was a little make shift thought :/

good stuff. I took a fly tying course with Grindstone Angling in Waterdown when I started fly fishing 10 years ago.

tying flies is surprisingly easy - you can tie any fly in the world using the same 4 basic steps (whip finish, pinch technique etc) that a good fly instructor will teach you. the course I took was two nights. it was well done. the amazing flies you see are done by creative and talented people..but the basic steps they use to make the fly are the same.

the best advice to give on fly casting is to practice practice and more practice.

I do a lot of trout fishing, so I use a 5 weight rod and reel.

for a more all purpose rod I would go with a 6 weight. you can cast poppers for bass a bit easier with a rod like this.

Also, although a fly outfit can be expensive, try not to go too cheap. a better rod will make learing to cast easier and help with casting with wind present, which there always is LOL.

If you can find it your best bet would be to buy a used (but quality) rod and reel off someone rather than spend the same $$ to buy a crappy new setup. Put a quality new line on an older setup and you are in business...have fun and don't abandon your fishy instincts! Alot of guys think that flyfishing is a different universe than other fishing, its not - if you know where fish like to be its 1/2 the battle...

I just started this year myself and got a great all purpose setup that I am very happy with.

Don't cheap out on your line! Get Rio line and leaders (the 3 packs of leaders are amazing) and they have the pre-looped ends which make attaching them really easy (particularly mid-river). My friend Timmeh says the Scientific Angler stuff is alright as well, but he uses the rio leaders too.

As I'm a fly-newb as well (I've reached the "river practice" phase), I look forward to reading this!

Ryan

Some words of wisdom I was given when starting out recently:

-You don't need to spend too much money on the reel, it's not as important as a spinning reel is, to your overall setup.

-Spend money on your line, it's the only thing thing that connects you to your fly plus a good line will make casting much easier.

-Check out reelflies.ca for most of your flies. But spend some time in the local stores and buy a few flies from them. They will be great sources of info in the future.

-Make sure you get a casting lesson from a GOOD source, so you can avoid picking up bad form early.

-Practice casting, it will pay off. I probably looked kinda crazy casting at snow drifts this winter but I know it has made a difference.

One thing I would strongly recommend is a guide when you first go out, if you can afford it. And go one on one so you get the full attention. This was the first thing I did, and although I didn't actually catch any fish on that trip, it was well worth it. The casting advice alone was great. It's made a huge difference in me being able to catch the fish I have rather than piercing my ears. Many guides offer learn to fish programs that are entirely on the water and a little less expensive than regular trips.

Also fly fishing will probably make you a better fisherman overall, as you will need to slow things down a little, and be much more observant, in order to be successful. You'll learn to read the water better and that will also help with your steelie trips in the fall.

Good luck...

Another newbie here as well.

Practice is key with casting. I don't practice enough and am still a terrible caster, that said you don't have to be a great caster to get fish but it helps :)

A good piece of advice I received was when starting out only cast as far as is comfortable. For example if you can only cast 20 feet well, position yourself to make a good 20 foot cast at the fish rather than trying to put a bad 30 foot cast out there.

like i said to laszlo in a message im probably gonna jump on the wagon too. used to do it alot, then i broke myrod, but im thinkin about getting back into it again myself.. laszlo your power of suggestion is awesome lol.

i am getting into it as well. i am getting my second set up....a 5wt...i have an 8wt set up, st coix imperial, orvis battenkill mid arbor and scientific anglers mastery, pike taper...when i started i had pike and bass in mind. i was dabbing on and off flyfishing for a few years....i spent more time tying flies than actually fishing...but this year i am getting into it more. the thing was i was learning by my self, no tips from experienced fly fishers.just videos and mags.

better at casting now, and loving it...keep at it man.

I come from a centerpin/spinning background, I'v always thought of trying fly fishing considering I use fly's , a lot!

So i recently borrowed my friends 6wt rod, a chepie, but a heck of a lot of fun. I've landed many many catfish in the 10oz-2lb range. and a heck of a lot of pan fish on a local pond. Im pretty addicted now.If I had the money I would get a Thomas&Thomas Whisper-Lite and a Saracione Mark IV reel. But thats what the prince and princess Diana got as a gift..hefty price tag. so Im looking at the abel Trout TR reel and yet to decide on a rod.

a guided trip is well worth the money...but if you can't afford it or hesitant to drop that coin I'd suggest joining one of the many local fly clubs that are around...clubs are full of experienced anglers willing to share info, many clubs hold casting clinics, river trips, fly tying nights, etc.....

I tried casting my friends fly rod a few days ago and it does seem a little easier then starting out with a centerpin. Still have trouble with the wallis cast.

A few more days and I should be set up and ready to hit the water!

a guided trip is well worth the money...but if you can't afford it or hesitant to drop that coin I'd suggest joining one of the many local fly clubs that are around...clubs are full of experienced anglers willing to share info, many clubs hold casting clinics, river trips, fly tying nights, etc.....

Laz you don't need a guide... You've got meee!! :angel::w00t:

We'll hold our own casting clinics with rhymes, breaks and beats..

word.

H to tha D

Laz you don't need a guide... You've got meee!! :angel::w00t:

We'll hold our own casting clinics with rhymes, breaks and beats..

word.

H to tha D

Let me get this right.

We approach the perfect hole as the sun is slowly rising behind the tree line. We both know there's a beautiful brown in there just waiting to be tamed.

Now your going to be content with teaching me how to cast? HAHA!

I may be picking up my set up on Sunday!!!