braided line

addymark

I've used original Fireline for years on my spinning tackle, with a lot of success. I switched to Fireline Crystal a couple years ago, and so far, I'm finding it more durable. I like Power Pro on my baitcasters, although I usually stick with mono or copolymer on those. I had problems with breakoffs with Spiderwire Invisibraid, and Spiderwire Stealth doesn't seem to get along with the reels I'm using now (although it was fine with an Ambassador C4).

Power Pro....nothing else compares. No memory, and tough as nails. I find 15 pound PP works well in pike territory (unless theres big gators around). No need for steel leaders and what not.

Fireline Crystal Fused is ok I suppose...tough and very easy to cut as opposed to PP, but as people said it's flat which makes it feel bulkier than Power Pro. a 125 yard 10 pound spool fills my Daiwa Tierra 2000 full...a 150 yard 10 pound spool of PP has room to spare...things to think about I guess.

Fireline Crystal is the only mainline I have used since I discovered it. It's amazing...8 lb test bends hooks stuck in logs, but you need gloves to free snagged line because that stuff will cut your hands before it breaks.

-

I like a flouro leader about 150% the strength of my mainline (8lb test Firelire = 12lb test Seagar InvisX) and generally join the two with a good quality (that is important) ball-bearing swivel. A double uni-knot works well if you need to forego the swivel.

-

The only thing I really don't like about Fireline is the price. It's pretty freakin' expensive as far as I'm concerned. $25 for a 125 yard spool?...that's borderline ridiculous. I ordered a 1500 yard spool and it works out to half price. Even still, I backfill my reels about a third with whatever crappy mono I have laying around before I fill 'em with the good stuff.

thanks for the quick replies.

I was thinking mossy green colour but the red sounds like a good idea as well.

One more thing, when using the flourocarbon leaders, what knot do you use when tying to your line? or can you tie it to a 2 way swivel?

Use the Double Uni Knot. Not two way swivel. You'll chip your guides.

Power pro red or green......I get it for $5.00 a 150 yd spool off a guy (I don't ask questions) so at that price I don't try other brands. Besides I really like the performance of Power pro it dosn't wind knot very often.

Edited by canadadude

dyneema fiber braids are lengthy and straighter. They're also less slick then spectra fibers = better knot holds. Spectra fiber are spiraled and more round, most are made from combinations of kevlar and threads. Dyneema is made for spinning reels, and spectra braids are for bait casters. Fused braids are just dyneema fibers heated and made into a more uniform line, so that they are more line spectra fibre braids where there is a coating that smooths out the line.

Fireline original on all my spinning reels

Spiderwire moss green on baitcasting.

Power Pro hi vis yellow is good for line watching - colour the first 8 feet green/black and its less visible.

Use the Double Uni Knot. Not two way swivel. You'll chip your guides.

How long a leader do you use? I like mine about two feet...I never reel in that much. When I'm throwing casts I want at least that much line between my top eye and bait, when I store or transport my rods I use the hook keeper (5 to 6 feet of line), and even when landing a fish (with a net or by lip-locking) I don't reel that swivel in.

If you like to use a 2 way swivel, like I do on my musky rods, you can get small plastic beads with a hole thru them that you can slide on your line before the swivel. When the the plastic bead hits your guide insert it won't do any damage.

If you like to use a 2 way swivel, like I do on my musky rods, you can get small plastic beads with a hole thru them that you can slide on your line before the swivel. When the the plastic bead hits your guide insert it won't do any damage.

Spider Thread here (not spiderwire) no problems and seaguar red label for my leaders

I've found that Power Pro and Spiderwire are both good braids and have served me well. Power Pro says that their phantom red is the most invisible (even over their other colours), but as someone else said, if I'm worried about line visibility I tie on a leader.

You can practice the knots at home while relaxing or watching TV with old line from old reels of whatever you have laying around.

Don't turn your back completely on other lines. Mono and Fluoro all have their purposes. Sometimes a little stretch is a good thing, sometimes a more buoyant line is a good thing. When I first started using braid, I was BRAID BRAID BRAID all the time, now I've learned to be a little more versatile.

Hope that helps,

Ryan

dyneema fiber braids are lengthy and straighter. They're also less slick then spectra fibers = better knot holds. Spectra fiber are spiraled and more round, most are made from combinations of kevlar and threads. Dyneema is made for spinning reels, and spectra braids are for bait casters. Fused braids are just dyneema fibers heated and made into a more uniform line, so that they are more line spectra fibre braids where there is a coating that smooths out the line.

Fireline original on all my spinning reels

Spiderwire moss green on baitcasting.

Power Pro hi vis yellow is good for line watching - colour the first 8 feet green/black and its less visible.

huh?

Just messing with ya.

I just put 8lb triline xl on my wife's reel today from the 10lb power pro she had on and she loves it and can cast a lot farther.