NF: looking for a 6 x 6 ground spike

GBW

Can't help you find one, but I can tell you you'll have a heck of a time getting it in the ground.

I put 5 4X4 in last year. To "hammer" them in I ended-up having to buy one more, remove the spike part, turn the rest over onto a short 4X4 to use as a cap so that I could use a sledge hammer on it. Without the cap, the 4X4 shattered before the thing was even half way down.

Even with all that, it took over 30 minutes per spike.

I am not worried how long it will take to get in the ground but thanks for the heads up. I just need the one as the fence guy doesn't want to drill a hole beside the house because there is a gas line there.

Guest gbfisher

I am not worried how long it will take to get in the ground but thanks for the heads up. I just need the one as the fence guy doesn't want to drill a hole beside the house because there is a gas line there.

Tell him to dig it by hand or have the gas line marked out......... :rolleyes:

Don't use the spikes.

Edited by gbfisher

Could you not simply attach a 2X6 to the wall of the house with Tapcon screws?

Much easier. That's what I did for my fence.

Could you not simply attach a 2X6 to the wall of the house with Tapcon screws?

Much easier. That's what I did for my fence.

I did that too. A 4x4, a tapcon into the foundation at the lower end and into the brick at the upper. Both sides of the house.

The gas line is above ground so he/we can see it and we know there is nothing below it (had it checked by the town). My place is siding so a 2x4 with tapcon's isn't going to hold a gate, I wish it did though... The fence is going up next week so I'm just trying to be ahead of any problems that might come up. I will try and take a pic of the area and post it then for ideas, thanks.

Geoff

But he'll blindly pound a stake into it LOL

My thoughts exactly Blaque! LOL

On a side note, I did just use a couple of the NEW 4 x 4 ones last week. They now have a swivel head on them that lets you straighten them up if they happen to take a twist on the way in. I used them for a little project right at the waters edge and they worked great.

I would never use them to put up a fence though. At my last house, we were all set to drill and concrete in the posts when a neighbour two doors down decided he wants to go the "easy" route and use spikes. We stuck to our guns and did it proper. His entire fence leaned over and fell in less than a year!

GBW, I know in your case, you are only using one for a special purpose at the gate. Sorry i can't tell you where to get a 6 x 6 one.

Can't help you find one, but I can tell you you'll have a heck of a time getting it in the ground.

I put 5 4X4 in last year. To "hammer" them in I ended-up having to buy one more, remove the spike part, turn the rest over onto a short 4X4 to use as a cap so that I could use a sledge hammer on it. Without the cap, the 4X4 shattered before the thing was even half way down.

Even with all that, it took over 30 minutes per spike.

Not really the spikes fault. It took me about 5 minutes per spike last summer. It all has to do with what kind of ground doi you try to put it in.

I've used the spikes before and never had a problem putting them into the ground. It really does depend on the soil that you are going into. I'd also look at another fencing guy, the guy I use a few years ago dug the hole out by the house by hand. Mind you the area was free and clear or gas lines or electrical. Not sure what you are up against.

I've also seen where someone has cut away the siding, tapped up a 2x4 and just caulked around the wood. Maybe cap the wood with similar coloured siding to blend in? :dunno:

Mark out where the 2x4 is going (make sure for Plumb) on the siding. Cut the siding away on the marks, pick up some "J" channel (some call it wall mold) in the same colour as you're siding and "Cap" the cut-ends screw in your 2x4 and you are done. I would use 3" #12 screws to get a real good bite into the plywood as you probably have no blocking and PL.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Mark out where the 2x4 is going (make sure for Plumb) on the siding. Cut the siding away on the marks, pick up some "J" channel (some call it wall mold) in the same colour as you're siding and "Cap" the cut-ends screw in your 2x4 and you are done. I would use 3" #12 screws to get a real good bite into the plywood as you probably have no blocking and PL.

G

Thanks G!!!!

And thanks to all the others too, pic's to come over the weekend of my "situation" that I'm in.

I'd hand dig the hole and pour concrete myself. I'm not sure what you've got to work with though, so can't really help. Don't use a spike though, especially if there is a gate going on the post. Get yourself a hole digging shovel, and you can have the hole dug quicker than you'll pound that spike in the ground.

What Gerritt said will also work just fine.

Must be a heavy duty fence if your using 6x6 posts??

S.

I'd dig the hole by hand, and just keep the post away from the house. You can even notch the post around that gasline. Don't use a spike on a gate. It won't hold up, I guarantee it. I still don't know why your using 6x6 for a privacy fence. That's way over kill, and brings the cost of your fence way, way up. Are all your neighbours using 6x6's on thier fences too?? I could see if you had a major road beside your house, but that doesn't look like the case here at all. Why 6x6??? Save that $ for more fishing gear or beer :)

S.

The whole area around is being done by the same guy and it's all 6x6's so we just want it to look good. It's only $12.50 (after tax) a foot for everything. I may throw a 4x4 at the gate end against the house, not sure yet...

*edit* my last fence we used 4x4's and it bent like a boxer taking a punch to the groin.

Edited by GBW

hand dig your hole being sure that you are below the frost line. Sorry but my last post assumed you were using horizontal vinyl siding..

anyways hand dig you're hole, place an inch or two of 3/4" clear stone at the bottom of the hole, insert your post. mark where the gas line is on the post and knotch it out, using a hand saw (or skill saw with depth set) and a good sharp chisel.

place post back in place and use post set mix.

Be sure the post is good and plumb. brace and let set.

ask you're builder if he has any PT scraps of fence board... the reason for this is in case the post of off the house at the top of the post even if it is plumb. you will use this scrap as blocking between the house and post. drill and over sized hole (as you do not have 7" screws) and counter sink 3-1/2" screws into your post and blocking into your walls.

Here is an example on my own house. I have decorative block foundation, and a gas line..

DSC01449.jpg

this kept everything plumb and sturdy. mind you this is not a gate.. not that it would matter if you did the same using you're 6x6... just be sure to countersink.

G