Mayfly Hatch...

Gerritt

Anyone know if the Mayfly Hatch has begun on Nipissing yet? Heading up to the OFC Get Together in a couple weeks.. and was wondering if the fish will be full up on Larvae etc..

I can remember fishing during the hatch with millions of dead Mayflies on the water and the fishing was tough...

I was on the North Bay shore last night before the wind picked up, and there seem to be quite a few.

Is there a difference between the mayfly & shadfly? I allways thought the mayflies came before the shads and were a little smaller?

I was on the North Bay shore last night before the wind picked up, and there seem to be quite a few.

Is there a difference between the mayfly & shadfly? I allways thought the mayflies came before the shads and were a little smaller?

The "shadfly" is a mayfly. Not sure where the shadfly term comes from but I can assure you it is a mayfly, specifically the "Hexagenia"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayfly

Guest gbfisher

It's one of the best bites goin. :good:

Don't listen to the ones who say different. :blahblah1:

Edited by gbfisher

Just curious, Spiel or anyone else, have you had any success nymphing for walleyes on Nipissing? Just curious, maybe I should pack a flyrod. Last year on thw west arm in early July so many dead mayflies on the water there was a rotting smell. But I think last year was pretty late.

Just curious, Spiel or anyone else, have you had any success nymphing for walleyes on Nipissing? Just curious, maybe I should pack a flyrod. Last year on thw west arm in early July so many dead mayflies on the water there was a rotting smell. But I think last year was pretty late.

On Nipissing, no. I have however caught a few incidental walleye on sub surface nymphs fishing a floating line while targeting whitefish. I'm certain that had I switched to a sinking line to get down closer to the bottom that I may have tagged more walleye.

One of these days (years) I would like to bring the fly rod up to Lakair and try for walleye during the big hatch.

No, but that's an interesting thought.

When the hatch is on full bore I've had my best luck with brown or brown and orange twister tails tipped with a worm.

The last couple of years a tiny chunk of crawler pulled slowly behind the boat on a slow death hook has been deadly as well.

(Specifically on mud flats where the fish are keying on emerging nymphs)

Edited by solopaddler

The last couple of years a tiny chunk of crawler pulled slowly behind the boat on a slow death hook has been deadly as well.

If I'm not mistaken Mike the slow death technique was inspired by mayfly feeding walleye. dunno.gif

Even if not, it is a proven method for wallies during the hatch.

This is my theory from observing for a few years. First in South bay area in the shallows where the water warms sooner then the main part of the lake. The shadfly likes to hatch in about 67 degree temps. Hunters bay and Fish bay normally see hatch's around the middle of June about 2 weeks before the main lake hatch in the deeper water, but they seem to be starting now because of the early season. What I have learned is that to be successful with walleye during the shadfly season is to fish the areas of the lake that are not experiencing a hatch. Hope this helps Jeff.

One technique that has worked for me during a hatch is to use a Lindy rig (3-3.5' leader) with a worm (crawler) but you have to blow some air in the worm so it will stay off the bottom....simple but effective.

Bob

Relish these days because before you know it, that white puke will be landing upon us again. :wallbash:

As I mentioned above, last year we hit the west arm hatch bad. we pulled harnesses and our numbers were way down but we caught some big girls so that lessoned the pain. Good ideas though on the slow death,blown up crawler, and the small grub presentations. I watched a show over the winter where these guys were fishing sink tip line with nymphs and catching quite a few walleyes. I've never tried it. I would think panfish size grubs tipped with maggots might also be productive.

No Shad Flies on the water last night.

I was out on Callander Bay and we managed 7 walleye. All keepers. 4 were small but these 3 were all between 14 and 15 inches.

They were all caught on chartruse go-getters and worms. I had the most success when i put a small piece of power bait on my hook before the worm.

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

We also caught a few sheepshead, rock bass and about 12 dink perch.

Was sure nice to get my Starcraft out on the water. It has been sitting in my driveway taunting me since opening weekend.

Edited by Nipfisher

Was just there from Monday night to Thursday night. South Shore. There were mayflies on the wing, but the peek is not here yet. As someone who grew-up in North Bay and had a family cottage on the south shore at the same time. The hatch was/is much heaver in the city. I always assumed that the large sandy shore that runs most of the length of the city, prevailing winds and the higher concentration of lights had a lot to do with the prevalence of mayflies on in the city.

BTW there was no evidence that the mayflies had any negative impact on my trip... Photos to come.