lakes for fly-ins

cassandra

hi there. I'm new to this site and am trying to plan a surprise fly-in trip for my boyfriend. I have heard there are fly-ins near port loring, but any lake within a 7-8 hour drive of hamilton, ontario would be great. He likes to fish walleye. Despite going on several trips with him, the only thing I know about fish is that they swim in the water, so any information on lakes is appreciated! thanks!

hi there. I'm new to this site and am trying to plan a surprise fly-in trip for my boyfriend. I have heard there are fly-ins near port loring, but any lake within a 7-8 hour drive of hamilton, ontario would be great. He likes to fish walleye. Despite going on several trips with him, the only thing I know about fish is that they swim in the water, so any information on lakes is appreciated! thanks!

IMO you have to go a bit further than Port Loring for really exceptional fly in walleye fishing.

Air Ivanhoe in Folyet is great. I've used them several times with great success:

http://airivanhoe.com/

I've also flown with Hawk Air and Park's both located in Hawk Junction. Always had amazing trips:

http://www.hawkair.com/

http://www.outpostcamps.com/

Also a viable option who I've had success with is Cochrane Air in Cochrane:

http://www.aircochrane.com/

I prefer the first 3 outfitters over Cochrane though for a variety of reasons.

I can gladly help you pinpoint specific lakes if you happen to choose one of these ouitfitters.

Cheers

Solo is your guy for flyin info. I've gone with Cochrane Air the last 3 years and this will be my 4th. Cabins are rustic and could use some fixing up. Fishing has been OK, some decent pike and fair numbers of walleye.

Here's last year report from Mikwam - Report

We've also done Floodwood and will be going back there this year again. - Report part 1 and Part 2

Hope this helps.

Sadly the fly-in company near Port Loring(Toronado's) closed up shop last fall.You might want to look at .Sudbury Aviation for your fly-in .They have both rustic and pretty modern accomodation.

vance

I've now flown three times with HawkAir on solopaddler's recommendation. They run a very professional operation. During the last trip, they even dropped in mid trip with bags of ice and a case of beer! That's service. It's a long drive from southern Ontario to the Wawa area, but well worth it.

I have used Air Ivanhoe in Folyet at it's first class...if you do decide on this choice call George (owner) and explain to him what kind of fish and accommodations you prefer.I have also heard good things about Wawa but haven't experienced them myself "yet".

Whatever you do don't go to Gogama Lodge and deal with Dick...most of his fly-in HUTS should be condemn.Great fishing but a tent would have been cleaner to sleep at night.

Bob

Sadly the fly-in company near Port Loring(Toronado's) closed up shop last fall.You might want to look at .Sudbury Aviation for your fly-in .They have both rustic and pretty modern accomodation.

vance

Did Toronado's close everthing or just the fly-in portion of the business,I use to quad into alot of there bass lakes from Lost Channel, excellent smallmouth fishing in those areas.A few of my buddies up there also would use them for Deer hunting.

Esnagi lake!!!! its about 3 or 4 more driving hours than specified but you WONT be disappointed!!! Of course im just goin on what the fishin show people say but that's deffinately one palce I plan on going in the near future.

Looking at their rates you better be saving a lot of money.

If you want to keep the driving down, part of my family runs a fly in out of Temagami on diamond lake. It's good fishing for walleye, bass and lakers. Only 1 cabin on the lake and all you'll see is the odd canoe group. I'm heading in for a week june 19. It's reasonable but best if you have 4 people

If you want to keep the driving down, part of my family runs a fly in out of Temagami on diamond lake. It's good fishing for walleye, bass and lakers. Only 1 cabin on the lake and all you'll see is the odd canoe group. I'm heading in for a week june 19. It's reasonable but best if you have 4 people

You're related to the Allison's? If I'm remembering right they aquired it from Ketchunenny.

Esnagi lake!!!! its about 3 or 4 more driving hours than specified but you WONT be disappointed!!! Of course im just goin on what the fishin show people say but that's deffinately one palce I plan on going in the near future.

I have been in to Esinagami out of Nakina twice in the past. Eric Lund runs a top notch resort. Very comfortable and all the pike are catch and release (lots of numbers over 40 inches) Walleye are usually easy and numerous. He also has a guided speck trip available. Lots of fun there. Lots of work but worth it.

It is a little further and it's not cheap but it is a great trip.

Ahh, so this explains why he started flying into the lake at the cottage to recruit sightseers for an overhead tour from the marina. I was scratching my head over that one for a long time. That will explain it.

I have been in to Esinagami out of Nakina twice in the past. Eric Lund runs a top notch resort. Very comfortable and all the pike are catch and release (lots of numbers over 40 inches) Walleye are usually easy and numerous. He also has a guided speck trip available. Lots of fun there. Lots of work but worth it.

It is a little further and it's not cheap but it is a great trip.

Esnagami was an amazing experience for myself and 3 others. Eric and his wife are the type of people you would want to host your fly in trip. Tasty food, handy shore lunch preps, great accommodations, cool wooden boats, and best of all ... amazing fishing. At times it was pickerel every cast, and lots of them. The guides shunned us for this. Why waste time when there are 50" pike to be caught. That's up to you.

You can trust the words of everyone here that has offered a suggestion or two. Good luck with the selection and the planning.