How to??

HTHM

I was wondering if anyone has a technique to encapsulate a "T" splice in heat shrink wire protector? I have a trailer that I need to get lights wired up on and wish to tie the side lights into the curcuit with a "T" splice.

Any ideas??

Heat shrink will not really be possible.

There are a couple of methods to seal it up though.

1/ You can get chemical tape that bonds to it's self and wrap the joint. (I have some but I got it off a friend at Ontario Hydro and don't know where you can buy it)

2/ Cover the joint with liquid electrical tape.

Liquid Electrical Tape

The second solution is probably your best bet. :)

I was wondering if anyone has a technique to encapsulate a "T" splice in heat shrink wire protector? I have a trailer that I need to get lights wired up on and wish to tie the side lights into the curcuit with a "T" splice.

Any ideas??

You can also try the weatherproof heat shrink tubing at CTC. As you heat it a glue melts and encloses the entire splice. I've been using it for all my splices for about 3 years and it seems to hold up great.

I don't know the answer to this. That's why I'm asking. And if anyone thinks this is a great idea and wants to market it, be my guest.

Does anyone make a two part kit of heat shrink flat material. I envision two flat pieces or or one piece folded over to cover both sides of the connection or whatever. Then a heat source is used to make the two pieces bond together and shrink to a snug fit.

JF

You can use hot melt glue to encapsulate the joint ( same glue you use to install replacement tips on a fishing rod). As it cools you can form it with your fingers to make it neater.

Art

I don't know the answer to this. That's why I'm asking. And if anyone thinks this is a great idea and wants to market it, be my guest.

Does anyone make a two part kit of heat shrink flat material. I envision two flat pieces or or one piece folded over to cover both sides of the connection or whatever. Then a heat source is used to make the two pieces bond together and shrink to a snug fit.

JF

Heat shrink tubing is what we use at work, as well as heat shrink butt connectors.

Any ideas??

Y splice with shrink tubing should do it.

Personally I would go with the liquid electrical tape. They used it on the trailers at work. If you have ever seen a semi going down the road the electrical connections around the tandems are covered in water anytime there is a good rain.

Any repairs our mechanics had to make usually involved a butt connector and liquid electrical tape. They didn`t bother with heat shrink tubing or regular electrical tape. Wal-Mart here in the States sells it, at least in my area.