Jerkbaits

HUKDONFAWNIX

Okay, this may seem strange to most of you on this board.........and I'm kinda embarassed to admit it............but I have NEVER caught a fish using Rapala/jerkbait lures!!! I have caught many Pike, Bass, Pickeral, trout etc. in my somewhat short fishing "career" with spinnerbaits, spoons, live bait etc. But I seem to have absolutely no luck with this type of lure. I have tried slow and steady retrieves, stop 'n go retrieves, long pauses, short pauses etc. with no results. I have no confidence with this type of lure and it is very, very frustrating. I can tie on a simple clown pattern X-rap....nothing.....tie on a white spinnerbait........WHAM! Fish on.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

:wallbash:

Edited by HUKDONFAWNIX

I understand. I have been an OFC member for approx. two years (before the site makeover) despite what my member info says. At that time I had "Guide" status. I didn't realize that my post number has been reset. It has been a while since I have posted anything, since I have been very busy with a new addition to our family - baby girl born last July.

Although I'm relatively new to fishing, I joined this board to sharpen my skills and expand my knowledge of fishing. There have been many experts here that have helped me in the past and I appreciate every little nugget of info that they have shared. The short time that I have been interested in fishing has almost turned into an obsession. I love reading everyone's reports (especially Moosebunk's and Snag's) and I hope that one day I can have 10% of the success that a lot people here have had.

I love to fish for Pike (a.k.a "The Water wolf") and pickeral. Man they taste sooooooooo good!

Jerks have there time and place.

It's trial and error figuring when that time is.

I've caught muskies, bass, and walleye on various sick/twitchers

The key is to rip and pause, just adjust those two things in length/speed and you'll hook up

good luck

Welcome back HUK. Confidence is a big thing, if your working the bait properly it's should only be a matter of time before you hook a fish on a jerk bait and get your confidence back. Jerk baits are my least used arsenal, but I like them in early spring and late fall for the slower presentations, caught a nice pike my first cast ever with a jerk bait on a firetiger suick. :lol: You'll get some just don't give up on them they do work at the right times.

If I knew that by tying on a white spinnerbait I'd have a "WHAM, FISH ON!" I don't know whether I'd bother trying to learn how to use a bait that I had less confidence in. What do you think?

Roy,

I agree it might seem silly if I can land some fish using the white spinnerbait, but I have all of these nice jerkbaits sitting in my tacklebox and I would feel a lot better about buying them if I could catch a few fish with them.

Thanks for the welcome back GbayGiant! It's good to be back online!

:lol: Roy...

Have you tried experimenting with different colours & sizes? There have been times when two or three of us have all been fishing the same minnow pattern, yet the guy with the smaller (or bigger) crankbait is catching most of the fish.

I'm sure you'll catch a fish on a jerkbait if you are persistent.

Mike

I hear ya too HUK. I've used the stick baits a few times in the early fall with no luck. Last year my wife wanted to try one and we were fishing a shore-line with some cabbage around. First cast in toward shore and all heck broke loose. Huge splash just as the lust hit the water. Unfortunately, the way the fish hit it, it must have just pushed it away. Never did see the fish even though we returned periodically. Must admit I don't use them all that often, but I'll keep trying from time to time. I think it will take some practice for me to make the proper presentation. They do work from what I hear and read. I read an article within the last few months on a guy dead-sticking the Suick. Throw it out and just let it sit a few minutes. Give it jerk and let sit. Had some luck fishing that way and I'm gonna give it whirl this coming September.

Oh yeah ... welcome back.

Edited by Rich Clemens

I have tried different colours and sizes. Smaller in Spring, larger in Fall. Part of my frustration is that I feel like I don't get enough time on the water to try jerkbaits all day, so I get a little impatient and switch to a spoon, inline spinner etc. after about 30 min. (Due to my lack of confidence with this type of lure.) I thought my technique might be the problem......or colour selection? I have used Perch patterns, clown, black/white, gold/black etc. Is purple or pink a good colour for pike & pickeral? Are long pauses the key? Slow steady retrieves?

Thanks guys. You have no idea how much I appreciate your help.

I mix it up every cast, long pauses, short pauses, steady retrieve, twitching, teasing the cat style. lol.. :lol: it all works.

As far as colors, fisherman are to concerned with the looks of the bait when the action of the lure is 95% of attracting a fish, I use natural patterns in clear water, brighter colors in stained/dirty water, that's how I look at it, I try to keep it simple.

Maybe your luck just stinks. :Gonefishing:

I understand. I have been an OFC member for approx. two years (before the site makeover) despite what my member info says. At that time I had "Guide" status. I didn't realize that my post number has been reset. It has been a while since I have posted anything, since I have been very busy with a new addition to our family - baby girl born last July.

My bad :oops: that happened to me twice from there last two site upgrades and congrats on the baby girl.

I know you feel, I used to fish a lot with crankbaits, now much more with plastics or spinnerbaits, but I don't have the same level of confidence in spoons, though I have caught fish on them and know they work well for pike.

I'm sure everybody has their preferences, but If I could only have one pattern, that would be a classic minnow (like a Rapala, black, grey & white). If I could have two, I'd add a firetiger lure.

Mike

I once asked the same question to a buddy of mine that works at Rapala. He said take only that one style of lure with you when you head out. That will give you no option but to figure out how to use it properly. I kind of improvised on this and would take the whole box with me and use my go-to lures to find active fish and then switch to the lesser used bait and try and figure out what to do to intice a bite. Sometimes it works and I find this method a little better if you're limited on time. A good tip is to watch fishing shows and keep a close eye on the technique and type of area the guys are using with any given bait. Fishing mags too. Theres more than enough info out there to make your next trip a memorable one! Good luck!

Hey Huk,,,,

don't know how good my advice is but it works fer me... I find that if you use a stiff rod with a little or no strectch line it will make life alot easier with the jerk or twitch action. Also I know this sounds weird but I also sing that little mexican number la cuka rachta....... lol...... while I am retirieving. I retrieve to that "beat" or pattern of the song and I get some killer action. Thats were the term bookoo got started for me.. getting some boils or tail slaps from VERY aggitated fish when I'm retrieving like that.

Oh jerk baits I thought the post read jerk offs and immediately though of the guy that cut me off this afternoon. On the serious side what Roy said about confidence is so true. I have lots of confidence in Rapalas and they are always my go to bait when all else fails. In fact I did just that at lakair last June after nothing seemed to be working. After putting on the Rap well Mr Pike decided to have lunch. After bringing him in I got hooked for the first time in my life. I can tell you keep your hooks sharp.... as I didn't feel a thing going in until the fish started thrashing about.

As for bombers I've been using them in spring for Salmon for 30+ years still work so they must be good.

Edited by Garyv

When fishing for smallmouth on a warm overcast day that you suspect they are active. Cast it out there and act like you are having an epileptic seizure. lol

Absolute erratic thrashing of the bait causing wild crazy movements of the bait is sometimes the best thing.

Got tendonitis from it so it's not my favorite technique, but I can not argue with its effectiveness at times.

Charles

P.S. Don't give up on the spinnerbait though, that's a great technique at all times of the year.

You got to be kidding me.I am a part timer fishing in the Great White North and prolly 85% of my casting is with a Husky Jerk or a x-rap and I can say that they will produce!As has been mentioned here its all in the confidence in the lure.A white spinnerbait would be a second choice but it is always a decent choice.Next time you get into a good bite,switch up lures to see what else will work,it might surprise you.

Joe

Good advice about forcing yourself to stick with a lure. One of the things I've found is that I'll rely on the lures I have the most confidence in, esp. on a new lake, so I don't put in the time to get used to a new lure.

Head out one day with just some crankbaits, no spinnerbaits or spoons, and keep at it. I'm sure you'll hook up.

mike

Hello there HUKDONFAWNIX

I have the same problem with my Baitcaster, I bought a nearly new Shimano Chronarch from E-Bay two years ago and I take it out with me whenever I go fishing. The problem is I try using it for about 20 minutes then I go right back to my Spincasting outfit.

Someone also told me to leave the spincaster at the cottage and take only the Baitcaster, I tried it once and came back to get the other rod after only half an hour. lol

I have a lot of luck with Rapalas of all types. I have caught Walleye, Bass, even Muskie on them and use them regularly wherever I fish.

Keep trying and you will soon find that they are an important part of your arsenal.

And if you think that Pickeral are tasty, you should try targetting Crappie in the spring, they are even more delicious believe it or not.

Good Luck and Congratulations on the new addition.

SS

Edited by fishinfool