Wheel bearings

fishnsled

Tonight I was working a set of bearings for a friend and noticed that there was no spindle washer. I've been doing my own bearings(and friends) for about 20 years now and they all have had a washer. Surfed the web and all the diagrams I could find all had one. I'm thinking that I will get a pair (one for each hub) and put them on. It seems like the nut may have some slight heat damage and I figure it maybe from the lack of a washer. The trailer is newer, about 2 years old so maybe it's new school stuff, I'm not sure. Old school has been working just fine for me. smile.gif Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before? The pic below is what I'm use to.

FH04NOV_TRAILB_04.jpg

Edited by fishnsled

Tonight I was working a set of bearings for a friend and noticed that there was no spindle washer. I've been doing my own bearings(and friends) for about 20 years now and they all have had a washer. Surfed the web and all the diagrams I could find all had one. I'm thinking that I will get a pair (one for each hub) and put them on. It seems like the nut may have some slight heat damage and I figure it maybe from the lack of a washer. The trailer is newer, about 2 years old so maybe it's new school stuff, I'm not sure. Old school has been working just fine for me. smile.gif Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this before? The pic below is what I'm use to.

FH04NOV_TRAILB_04.jpg

In all my year's working on my trailer's,my friends and families or even at work on our new trailers i have never seen that, you need the washer on there to set it properly.

I also have been doing bearing for over 35 years and have never seen that....you never know what the factory left out by mistake or by cost cutting....

In 1985 I purchased my boat, motor and trailer with the trailer being upgraded two sizes bigger than what they wanted to give me so I didn't have to worry about trailering all over the country and Canada (still have the same rig)...after two years I pulled the hubs to clean and grease the bearing...guess what..there was almost NO grease in the hubs or on the bearing....the bearing already showed overheating...so I replaced the bearing and races while packing the hub with marine wheel grease....since I don't EVER put my hubs under water I don't repack them often, as a matter of fact those bearing went 20 years without ANY maintenance at all...every spring I just jack up each wheel, spin the tire and listen to the bearing and then check for end play....couple of years ago I replaced those bearing just because of how old they were...when I took them out they showed very little wear, no rust or overheating...

Bob

I'm not surprised. Packed the bearings in my 2005 trailer for the first time last year and found out why the drivers side wheel always tossed grease out the inboard side (have bearing buddies so kept pumping the grease to it.) There was a bur on the axle right under the seal and it had torn the seal up. Filed it down with a fine diamond file and replaced everything with new. So far so good :whistling:

I have seen this a number of times, on some of the lightweight economy trailers. Yea it’s not the norm but it works without the washer. The washer’s purpose is more of a safeguard in the chance that the outer bearing fails and starts spinning the inner race of the bearing. This spinning can weld the inner race to the washer with the hope that it will not weld to the nut and then spin the nut off (left side); while driving down the road.

I would suggest having another look at the spindle nut and the cotter pin’s hole’s orientation; with the bearing preload set. Is there room for a washer and still get the proper sized cotter pin in?

If not that’s the way it was intended to be; if there is room for a washer, it won’t hurt putting one in; making sure it is of the proper metal grade.

Dan.

I'm liking the oil-filled bearings on my trailer more & more.

I also have the oil hubs on my ezloader trailer . Inside seal was leaking so I checked it out last weekend . and found a crack in the hub. AT the rubber inside seal. Let me tell you there is no parts around ONTARIO for OIL HUBS. HOW iam sitting waiting for it to come in from winnipeg barrett marketing group ( 204 669-7007 ) was the only place I could get parts. AND the cost is not cheap $85.00 for hub and seal and bearings. Same thing in a grease hub $ 44.00 and you can't change it over to grease. I would get a seal and bearing kit. Before you need them or you will find it very hard to get. AND wait like me Iam on holidays this week and here I sit now because of it.

JUST A HEADS UP. KEITH.

PS. IT WAS THE HUB THAT WAS CRACKED NOT THE SEAL ( SEAL WAS FINE )

Edited by mrpike

I have seen this a number of times, on some of the lightweight economy trailers. Yea it's not the norm but it works without the washer. The washer's purpose is more of a safeguard in the chance that the outer bearing fails and starts spinning the inner race of the bearing. This spinning can weld the inner race to the washer with the hope that it will not weld to the nut and then spin the nut off (left side); while driving down the road.

I would suggest having another look at the spindle nut and the cotter pin's hole's orientation; with the bearing preload set. Is there room for a washer and still get the proper sized cotter pin in?

If not that's the way it was intended to be; if there is room for a washer, it won't hurt putting one in; making sure it is of the proper metal grade.

Dan.

Great info DanD. I was wondering if there would even be enough room for a washer this morning. Will know better tonight.

I also have the oil hubs on my ezloader trailer . Inside seal was leaking so I checked it out last weekend . and found a crack in the hub. AT the rubber inside seal. Let me tell you there is no parts around ONTARIO for OIL HUBS. HOW iam sitting waiting for it to come in from winnipeg barrett marketing group ( 204 669-7007 ) was the only place I could get parts. AND the cost is not cheap $85.00 for hub and seal and bearings. Same thing in a grease hub $ 44.00 and you can't change it over to grease. I would get a seal and bearing kit. Before you need them or you will find it very hard to get. AND wait like me Iam on holidays this week and here I sit now because of it.

JUST A HEADS UP. KEITH.

PS. IT WAS THE HUB THAT WAS CRACKED NOT THE SEAL ( SEAL WAS FINE )

A buddy of mine is in love with the oil hubs. I haven't been in a situation to decide whether or not to get them but have not been to crazy about the idea. I think I'll stick the a grease hub design for now if have to get a new trailer down the road. Cost and convenience has sold me for now.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I redid the bearings on a trailer that I inherited last year, and i found that one side had a washer, and the other did not, the side without the washer was in rough shape, the side with the washer wasnt so bad. I went to home depot and got a stainless washer, but the inside dia wasnt big enough, I just drilled it out to fit and it worked great, and much cheaper than the 20 bucks that they wanted if I could even find the actual proper washer.

I'm liking the oil-filled bearings on my trailer more & more.

FYI in some major fleets ive dealt with and one Im with,grease hubs are the way to go.Less maintenance.If the seal weeps a lttle its ok.If an oiled hub seal weeps then its time to take another look.IMO grease hubs,less chance of bearing failure, and when it does go, you have time.OIl hubs, well they are good,but when they leak,blow a seal regardless.There is less time to react and correct it.And posibly as ussuall the hubs are on fire.Ive worked on two old sows from the forties(1947 and 1948 freuhaughs greased packed with orig seals)that havent blown a seal yet.I pulled the seals and reinstalled 7 yrs ago with orig seals.Still going to this day.Old ashfalt tankers.

FYI in some major fleets ive dealt with and one Im with,grease hubs are the way to go.Less maintenance.If the seal weeps a lttle its ok.If an oiled hub seal weeps then its time to take another look.IMO grease hubs,less chance of bearing failure, and when it does go, you have time.OIl hubs, well they are good,but when they leak,blow a seal regardless.There is less time to react and correct it.And posibly as ussuall the hubs are on fire.Ive worked on two old sows from the forties(1947 and 1948 freuhaughs greased packed with orig seals)that havent blown a seal yet.I pulled the seals and reinstalled 7 yrs ago with orig seals.Still going to this day.Old ashfalt tankers.

My way of thinking as well when it comes to oil hubs.

Well after a bit of running around last night we were able to finish the one side of the trailer. Found a washer kit at Princess Auto (no bearings to be had here), Parts Source for bearings, CT for lower unit oil (well it was on the way - lol) and then started to put it all back together. Wouldn't you know it - the washer fit. One side running smooth as can be. Thanks for the tips.