My First BOW on Soft Water!!! May 01st 2010

Leecher

I've been looking forward to this weekend anxiously for another go at the square tails..... all week been thinking about what I could of done differently in my presentation to increase my chance of hooking a few more :angel: ............fast forward to this morning

Got on the road at 5:45am, temps was at 11C, overcast and no wind..... PERFECT!!! Had a good feeling about it :Gonefishing:

Got to destination at 7:15am and quickly setup one of my rods with a walleye slip bobber type rig and dew worm. Target was bottom for the beginning.... Here's a view of what I was seeing while waiting

DSC03960.jpg

Real calm and peaceful B)

Some time past before I decided to try and setup my second rod with a mini Big O perch pattern.... and this after seeing a couple of fish break surface on the calm top..... so I pulled my first line in and started to cast my second setup..... first cast and FISH ON Now I don't know about you bow guys but this fish was going insane on me :blink: It cleared surface 3 times before I was able to land it :clapping:B):thumbsup_anim:

It's not the biggest but to me and this lake I fish in, sure is a decent one..... here's the pic of my first rainbow trout ever.... and I don't look that happy at all about it :rofl2: 16 1/4" long B)

DSC03961.jpg

I was pumped to the fullest after that and couldn't care less if I caught another :D It wouldn't fit flat in my cooler :wallbash: but I managed :whistling::lol:

I tried casting the Mepps black furry #2 and did not get a sniff so I went back to my dewie rig setup but it also did not get any hits :wallbash:

I did after that, walk the shoreline with the mini Big O setup but alas it was not meant to be :blush:

Here's my PB and first bow ever..... along side the measuring tape and the tool used

DSC03962.jpg

Again the mini Big O

DSC03963.jpg

At 12:45pm called it a day and got home around 2:15pm..... Nothing found in the stomach..... was just running dry :)

I've also created a video for those that can view it :D

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid732.photobucket.com/albums/ww321/leechman1/2010/Trout%20May01%202010/SpeckleMay01st2010.flv">

Enjoy!!!

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Right on Jaques! This is the best time of year to fish them bows... the first couple of weeks after opener you can still get them on crank baits and other shallow presentations. My local lake is full of those 15 to 17 inchers.... Mostly stocked fish though, with a mix of natural browns in there.

Thanks for the report and keep at it! I haven't made it out yet this year, but maybe next weekend!

Cheers,

Ryan

Well done Jacques.

Trial and error til you find what works. Even with only one in the box, I'm sure it was worth the adventure.

Thanks Bruce!!! I was satisfied after landing this one and what a feisty trout B)

WTG Jacques. :thumbsup_anim:

Did you stop by the peeler bar to record that song? :clapping::clapping:

Thanks Brian!!! No LOL Had to fiddle with it until it was perfectly synchronized with the pics being displayed :)

Congrats on your first bow. Its always a great feeling to catch a new species. Thanks for the vid too.

Thanks Johnny Bass!!! I knew there was bows in this lake and it totally caught me by surprise B)

Right on Jaques! This is the best time of year to fish them bows... the first couple of weeks after opener you can still get them on crank baits and other shallow presentations. My local lake is full of those 15 to 17 inchers.... Mostly stocked fish though, with a mix of natural browns in there.

Thanks for the report and keep at it! I haven't made it out yet this year, but maybe next weekend!

Cheers,

Ryan

Thanks Ryan!!! I know that QMNR stocked this lake with bows at some point in time.... and this one might be native cause I did not see any fins clipped.... I will definitely keep at it.... next time around will be throwing spinners & cranks at them more often B)

very cool

Thanks Chris!!!

Now that's how Trout are suppose to be caught. Congrads buddy!

Thanks Mike!!! It sure is :)

"BOWLEECHMAN" LOL

GOOD JOB!!!

Nice catch......you "Hooked"?

Thanks Shaynebow!!! I like the new handle LOL I'm definitely hooked..... man those bows sure put up a great fight B)

Well done Jacques, nice fish!

Thanks Mike!!! I can't get over the fight they put up :)

awesome bow, especially for quebec(quite rare) ....heres how my day turned out, between 3 guys we caught 40 brookies between 10-18 inches, we kept 22 smaller ones and put the rest back that werent bleeding(btw for people who will count the fish our limit is 10 specks each in quebec) believe it or not all the fish have been eaten already, we had a big bbq last night with friends and family!!

keep them reports coming :clapping::clapping:

trout.jpg

Edited by carll2

awesome bow, especially for quebec(quite rare) ....heres how my day turned out, between 3 guys we caught 40 brookies between 10-18 inches, we kept 22 smaller ones and put the rest back that werent bleeding(btw for people who will count the fish our limit is 10 specks each in quebec) believe it or not all the fish have been eaten already, we had a big bbq last night with friends and family!!

keep them reports coming :clapping::clapping:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/carll2/trout.jpp

Thanks Carl!!! Sounds like you had a blast and the square tails were on the feed :worthy: Congrats mon ami :clapping::worthy:

May I ask what lures (live or artificial) your were using to get them to commit???

Thanks Carl!!! Sounds like you had a blast and the square tails were on the feed :worthy: Congrats mon ami :clapping::worthy:

May I ask what lures (live or artificial) your were using to get them to commit???

silver blue williams wobbler and mepps black spinner with fur on the tail and bobit spinners(all tipped with worms) ....trolled very very slow on wind blown rock shoals, surface water was 6 degreees :o

if you ever make your way down here il be glad to show you lake x :D

silver blue williams wobbler and mepps black spinner with fur on the tail and bobit spinners(all tipped with worms) ....trolled very very slow on wind blown rock shoals, surface water was 6 degreees :o

if you ever make your way down here il be glad to show you lake x :D

Awesome Carl :worthy: When you say Mepps black spinner, you mean black furry dressed #2 right?? Yes those are killer for specks B)

It would be an honor to join you on lake x :Gonefishing::canadian::D

Another banner report mom ami!!!!!!!!!!!Must be nice to be an IT tec.Lots of puter skills.Good to hear you caught an acrobat because I had my worst BOQ opener

ever the big skunkaroo.C'est l'ouveture de brochet en fin de semaine.lac Champlain Venice en Quebec .Hurry up Saturday. :Gonefishing:

Another banner report mom ami!!!!!!!!!!!Must be nice to be an IT tec.Lots of puter skills.Good to hear you caught an acrobat because I had my worst BOQ opener

ever the big skunkaroo.C'est l'ouveture de brochet en fin de semaine.lac Champlain Venice en Quebec .Hurry up Saturday. :Gonefishing:

Merci mon ami Mike!!! Yes them IT skills come in very handy LOL B)

Sorry to hear that "pépé le pew" was predominant at the opener :(

but I think time spent on the water is the greatest.... hooking onto fish is bonus :D

Si tu viens dans le coin autour du 10 mai..... la nouvelle lune est le 13 mai.... je book une journée off entre le 10 et 12 (reste à determinée) pour une partie de queue carré au petit lac que j'ai prit cette mervelleuse arc-en-ciel....

Speckies should be on the feed.... so your welcome my friend!!!

Jacques

Thanks Corvy!!! Yes at first I thought I had a small mouth bass :lol: As soon as there was tension, BANG she was out of the water B)

Instead of lowering the rod tip so to avoid the jumps.... just enjoyed the great acrobatics :thumbsup_anim:

Those bows sure put up a great fight B) Love it!!!

Awesome Carl :worthy: When you say Mepps black spinner, you mean black furry dressed #2 right?? Yes those are killer for specks B)

It would be an honor to join you on lake x :Gonefishing::canadian::D

exactly black fury with yellow dots :thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Congrats Jacques :thumbsup_anim:

That fish reminds me a lot of those trout I see at the grocery store...They look tasty.LOL

The mini big-O is one of my favourite lures for steelhead and browns too...I painted a few in the classic kwik-fish 'skunk' pattern with silver flakes.

Wow, first rainbow Jacques, late bloomer I says. thumbsup_anim.gif

Want to buy a custom 15' rainbow rod...... tongue.gif

Thanks Chris!!! She sure put up a great fight.... caught me by surprise :D

Wanna trade :canadian::angel:

Congrats Jacques :thumbsup_anim:

That fish reminds me a lot of those trout I see at the grocery store...They look tasty.LOL

The mini big-O is one of my favourite lures for steelhead and browns too...I painted a few in the classic kwik-fish 'skunk' pattern with silver flakes.

Thanks Mike!!! First time trying the Big O this year.... great lure :Gonefishing: for sure. Next time out will be using it and the Black furry spinner a lot more.... seems to trigger a reaction.... I'm thinking that the trout are getting active on the hatching black flies now. Lots of them out :wacko: