algonquin opener

trevy727

Our annual spring trip started friday morning at 2:30am. We drove 4 hours to south river and entered Algonquin park at round lake. We brought my 12' boat and Buddy's canoe. We towed the canoe through round lake and portaged into north tea lake via 2 short portages where at the end of tea lake, we stashed the boat and motor in the bush and continued our trip by canoe. We saved about 2-2.5 hours by taking the boat accross the 2 lakes as they are very big lakes (30 minutes to cross tea with the boat, 2-3 hours by canoe). We paddled and walked for approximately 35-40 more klms carrying aprox. 170lbs of gear including the canoe. To make a long story short, it took us 11.5 hours (not including the 4 hour drive) to get to our camp site where we stayed for 2 nights and enjoyed catching some fine brook trout. We packed up camp sunday afternoon and portaged to a couple lakes closer to the truck so that monday wouldn't be as long as a day as friday was.

Hope you enjoy the pics

IMG_2937_1.jpg

IMG_2955_1.jpg

IMG_2974_1.jpg

IMG_2966_1.jpg

IMG_2969_1.jpg

IMG_2978_1.jpg

IMG_2976_1.jpg

IMG_3003_1.jpg

IMG_2987_1.jpg

IMG_3023_1.jpg

Fantastic Trev. That's a great area of the park you guys travelled to.

Beautiful fish, although I think you do need a bigger pan. :)

I'm bouncing off the walls myself to get out LOL!

We leave Tues eve for White River.

Have fun up there. I had a trip planed for May 11-16 up near wawa but we've post-poned it till Sept. due to the weather and the fact that I have knee surgery May 18th. The last time I went up there during the bug hatch, the fishing was real tough. All the fish we caught were nice but not enough for a 10 hour drive. The best fishing I ever had up there was right before the season closed in Sept.

Have fun up there. I had a trip planed for May 11-16 up near wawa but we've post-poned it till Sept. due to the weather and the fact that I have knee surgery May 18th. The last time I went up there during the bug hatch, the fishing was real tough. All the fish we caught were nice but not enough for a 10 hour drive. The best fishing I ever had up there was right before the season closed in Sept.

I agree with the fall for sure. The lakes I fish in the White River area the fish are already actively spawning the first week of Sept.

Just stupidly easy to catch and very colourful.

The logging roads are always in better shape and the weather is usually nice.

But then.....the fishing is usually just as good in the spring as well.

You can catch them anything you want. Chunks of rope, pop can tabs, etc.

The last time I was there I thought I'd get fancy with a beadhead nymph and a big bright fluorescent orange strike indicator.

The fish ignored the nymph and kept hammering the indicator. :D

Not much skill involved in catching them, but a whole lot of sweat equity is required. ;)

Bad timing for your knee, hopefully it's not serious.