Fluorocarbon Fight

Diltsy

(Gasps for air) Ok... I think it's done, for now. I don't know what happened, I spooled it up just like I normally would, the only difference was I decided to use fluorocarbon! I have read all the benefits to fluorocarbon and finally decided to put it on my new drop shot rod and reel. Everything started off good but before I knew it the line was twirling up on itself! I heard there was line twist with fluorocarbon... but this was just ridiculous! I twisted to spool around a few times, straightened it out and spooled it up. Now I ran the line through the eyelets when all of a sudden my reel began to vomit all of the line onto the floor! I was entangled in a fluorocarbon ball. Anyway, I kicked the lines ass and secured the end of the line but I am worried it won't make it through the night without spewing the rest of the line up.

So what did I do wrong?? Is there some sort of trick to it? I was putting 8 pound P-line 100% fluorocarbon on and all I can think of is I should have had the line put on in the store. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan.

One thing I found out about any type of line other than braid is that it really helps (especially right after spooling) if you tie on a good ball bearing swivel, attach it to a tree, walk away to pay out as much line as you can, grab the spool to keep any more from paying out then STRETCH it. This relieves the memory inherent with mono, fluoro, co-polymers etc. Wind it back on fairly snug as you walk back to the tree. Depending on how often you use the rod you might want to do this once a week, possibly more. Paying it out behind a boat (higher than trolling speed to create drag) with a fair size lure (again with a ball bearing swivel as well) will work but not quite as well (make sure you're in deep/clear water!).

It sounds like a hassle, probably is, but consider it as maintaining or "conditioning" your line, it's also a good opportunity to inspect it for damage (thumb & finger on the line during retrieve, feel for nicks). It doesn't take that long and it's worth it.

Good Luck!

Michael

You *might* have put the line on your spinning reel backwards. I respool my line my placing the new line spool on the flat on the floor with the label up. I've noticed that some lines come on a spool with a nick in the flange on the underside, so that if you try to spool it up the other way, the spool flips over.

Almost every time In-fishermen talks about line they mention that some types of brands of mono and fluoro take a bit of fishing to "break-in".

It's not something I can say for certain that I have noticed, but that might be that by the time my line has been broke-in I've lost enough that I assume either: I just spooled on too much, or I took the twist out of it. :whistling:

Personally I don't use all fluoro because I find it too kinky, and braid or mono with a fluoro leader suits what I want. 2-5 foot leaders for me cover just about anything I do.

Maybe it just needs some seasoning? :dunno:

Good luck. :Gonefishing:

if you use regular mono with a fluoro lead it's cheaper and casts better. fluoro lines are a cash grab imo.

Honestly p-line has too much memory, but is cheaper, it must be spooled on the reeel in the same direction it come off the spool, try using a line conditioner as well, could you have over spooled it as well? 6 pnd fluro is what i use on mostly everthing and i've only had a problem when spooled wrong or over spooling, line conditioner will help i use it all the time to combat line twist.100% berkely fluro i find is the best but is more $!

One trick you can do is start with your spool on it's edge when it falls over it will be coming off the spool correctly. You should always give about dozen turn then stop and drop slack if it pig tails turn spool over.

Floura's nature is harder to mange so I never take a rod out the next day, let it sit for 4-5 days.

A small diameter, deeply cut spinning reel spool is not the best choice for Fluoro. They are coming up with larger diameter shallow cut spools specifically for Fluoro. Perhaps your reel choice is not helping.

This video helps explain somewhat.

Garnets method does work, I know, I've tried it. Another method to remove line twist is to remove all hardware (bare line). Let out all your line while running your boat at trolling speed - allow the line to un twist in the water as u troll. Reel it back in & you are good to go. Hope this helps. I tried spooling all fluro on a spinning reel & had nothing but problems. Now I use trilene mono with a 5' -6' leader of fluro.

Don't always trust the "label side up" theory. Sometimes the factory gets the label on the wrong side. The line should come off the spool counter clockwise with most reels. I haven't seen a reverse winding reel in a long, long time so unless you are using an antique, you should be fine.

P-Line 100% fluoro is one of the brands I use a lot and I find it to be very manageable and strong. I use it for Shakey Head and Drop Shot fishing almost exclusively. P-Line and XPS Fluoro are the two I fall back on most. If it is springing off, odds are the line was put on backwards like Doug mentioned. I never soak my line in warm water or stretch it, the only thing I do when drop shotting deep a lot is let out half the spool with nothing on the end and drag it behind the boat for a minute to get out the twist since reeling in that set up spins your line quite a bit. People recommend swivels but to me it's just another weak link in the line so I don't use them, that and they damage guides if you're not careful.

If you decide to stick with the fluoro, 8 would be the most I would go to start, 6 is even better to handle on the spinning reels. Be patient and give it an honest try, you'll be surprised at how sensitive and abrasion resistant it is!

JP

Thanks everyone, thanks JP. I decided to soak the line in hot water for 5 minutes and it seems to have fixed the problem! I'm not sure if has completely fixed the problem or not, but it has definitely helped. The line doesn't just fall off the spool anymore. I will have to wait to give it a full test. I will let you all know how I make out!

JP, I am definitely going to give fluoro a fair try. When you say 8 is the most you will go... is this because the line gets stiffer the higher the test?

JP, I am definitely going to give fluoro a fair try. When you say 8 is the most you will go... is this because the line gets stiffer the higher the test?

Absolutely, the higher you go, the stiffer since the diameter increases. I have used 10 but you really have to stay on top of the twist. 12 and up I use on baitcasters.

I'm finally seeing the benefit of level wind reels - no more built in line twist. They make trolling a treat.

When you are respooling your spinning reel, you will always have more twists from the takeup reel than from the fresh spool. So, right out of the gate, you are behind the eight ball, with a fresh line freshly twisted.

I think the best you can do is to pay attention to your fresh spool (ccw coming off as JPD said), and then troll the empty line a long ways behind your boat. Reel it in again under some tension by pinching the line with your left hand. Twist be gone, I say.

Or get one of these.

Abu_Record_Header.jpg