Rod Repair Result

douG

I busted the lowest largest line guide on one of my favorite rods (don't ask how).

This is what it looks like.

P1040217.jpg?t=1272046456

I think my options are

• Remove the epoxy tape and replace with new stuff and new guide
  • Add new guide on top of the old stuff
  • Add new guide above old stuff, maybe upside down

How would I go about removing the existing tape?

What would you do?

Thanks.

Edited by douG

It's an easy fix Doug. First it's not epoxy tape, it's actually thread with a so called two part epoxy coating.

You can remove all the old gunk and wind a new guide on, not hard to do with all the right stuff at hand or you can PM me. :)

I busted the lowest largest line guide on one of my favorite rods (don't ask how).

This is what it looks like.

P1040217.jpg?t=1272046456

I think my options are

• Remove the epoxy tape and replace with new stuff and new guide
  • Add new guide on top of the old stuff
  • Add new guide above old stuff, maybe upside down

How would I go about removing the existing tape?

What would you do?

Thanks.

By the looks of those wraps, I would have to guess the rod being a Fenwick HMX. If you got a straight razor blade carfully cut the epoxy off on what is left over on the foot of the guide. the rest of the expoxy will come off as you unwrap the thread. Pick up another sz 28 SIC guide from Angling Specialties, grind all edges smooth and make the foot thinner of a taper. Little tip here... take a paper match and "blue" the ground foot, this will make it less noticeable through the threads once you tie. Start about 5 wraps over the tag end of thread (use proper rod wrap thread). Then take a piece of thread and double it over. You will now wrap over this doubled thread to the end of the foot plus an additional 6-7 wraps. Clean cut thread winding about an 1 inch longer and take this tag end and place through the loop you have formed with the loose thread. Carefully and gently pull the loose thread back through your wraps. Once the clean cut end is through (under) your wraps, carefully cut the remaining thread as close to the warp as possible without cutting into your windings. Inspect your wraps for flaws/ furring. Now is the time to repair this. Adjust wraps with a blunt needle and lightly/quickly remove any furring on thread with a lighter.

Now you are ready for epoxy. Mix an equal amount of rod epoxy (2 parts) into a stainless steel petri dish and mix it with a blunt needle carefully not adding air pockets in it. If you get air pockets in the epoxy, take a lighter and heat up the under side of the dish, this will forces the bubbles to rise. Too much heat will discolor the epoxy.

Now you are ready to cover wrap with epoxy.

Evenly apply a coat of epoxy over threads (about 1/32") and a comparative amount on the rod similar to the other guides. Be sure to apply epoxy at the front of the foot where the guide to blank is too. Continue to turn rod slowly for at least 5 hrs to ensure a uniform coating and no "drips".

Or, go talk to Spiel...

Edited by Ron

Thanks, Friends.

I could not have hoped for a better set of answers - I got it all now. Raf replied with the most efficient answer within a minute or two, Ron actually told me how to fix this in great detail. Chris is such a holdout, except for the link to an older thread. Drifter and Raf have the same world view, it would seem.

Angling Specialties will do all that for $6? We have a solution.

Thanks again.

Thanks, Friends.

I could not have hoped for a better set of answers - I got it all now. Raf replied with the most efficient answer within a minute or two, Ron actually told me how to fix this in great detail. Chris is such a holdout, except for the link to an older thread. Drifter and Raf have the same world view, it would seem.

Angling Specialties will do all that for $6? We have a solution.

Thanks again.

Should be around that for labour (between $5-$10).

Plus the cost of the guide.

thats great to hear douG

for $12 you made a good choice.

hope it stands the test of time.

soooooooooo how did you break the eye in the first place???? :whistling:

Dann

YES Doug inquiring minds wish to know lol ,HOW DID THIS HAPPEN, great job at a great price Paul is the best brought back from death 4 of 5 rods over the years for me.