Spot to leak check a boat?

TC1OZ

Hey guys,

I'm picking up a tinny today, and I wanted to leak check it... I'm thinking Port Weller ramp on Lake O would be the easiest place to carry it in the water...

Anyone else have a spot? I was thinking a small pond would be best but I can't think of any off the top of my head that I can drive up to... in the St. Catharines area.

Any ideas?

Edited by TC1OZ

Take the boat home and make up a bit of a stand (saw horses), so the boat will sit level and then throw a garden hose in the boat. Fill the boat up with water; to where you think the water line would be and look for any drips.

It’ll make finding the source of a leak a lot easier and your butt won’t be sitting in a sinking ship.

Dan.

:wallbash:

The patch I'm worried about is pretty high on the back side. That's an awesome idea but I think for how long its going to take to get home and fill up with water I can just toss it in a pond somewhere!

Thanks for the advice guys!!

The guy tells me it was patched and has been used since, and hes not aware of any leaks.

I figure toss it in the water, me and my buddy sit in it for 10 mins and see if there's any moisture. If not, start fishing. If there is, get it home and apply some of that "Steelflex" to seal it up.

Edited by TC1OZ

I talked to a guy that does boat repair (rivets ) told him I had filled my tinny up to check for leaks .He said that is comon to do but bad as it stresses the boat in the opposite direction than it was designed. and it could cause more leaks. I thought about this and it does make sense

I talked to a guy that does boat repair (rivets ) told him I had filled my tinny up to check for leaks .He said that is comon to do but bad as it stresses the boat in the opposite direction than it was designed. and it could cause more leaks. I thought about this and it does make sense

That totally makes sense. That wasn't really my reasoning for not wanting to do it that way, but for sure it will cause pressure where pressure is supposed to be forcing it the opposite way.

Good luck, and I hope you don't find any leaks. This thread reminds me of the time we got to the lake to find we'd lost the drain plug in the boat. We trolled so fast that day... LOL. Fingers crossed for you buddy.good.gif

HAHAHAHA

Awesome story! My coffee is all over my desk at work! Can't wait to get out of this crap hole! 3:30 here we come!

Edited by TC1OZ

there is a free little boat launch just east of the welland canal...

take lakshore rd E to Arthur st to beachhaven dr to bogart st, turns into Lombardy ave thru the woods

you can see it on google earth...

it's not great but would be perfect for your requirements

The "Tin of Beans" always passes the inside-out water test but put her in the water and sure as hell I gotta bail her out a bit every hour...

Drives me nuts !!!...must have spent over $100 on different goop (including 3 coats of marine paint) to no avail...easier to accept a bit of bailing...hopefully a zebra mussel will find a home at the leak and seal it for me... :wallbash:

A cheap bilge pump and a small 12 volt battery and your set

Got both and had to make it portable as I can't leave stuff in the boat... :angry:

only use the bilge pump if there has been a lot of rain...also use the battery to run a light off the stern at night... :good:

The "Tin of Beans" always passes the inside-out water test but put her in the water and sure as hell I gotta bail her out a bit every hour...

Drives me nuts !!!...must have spent over $100 on different goop (including 3 coats of marine paint) to no avail...easier to accept a bit of bailing...hopefully a zebra mussel will find a home at the leak and seal it for me... :wallbash:

Me too. It's just a waste of water. I tried again to pin point a leak rivet by filling her with water, and nothing. Not a drip on the outside!

Could have had 10 showers with that water :dunno:

I was a little ahead of myself on the leak check.

I'm going to clean it up, seal it with steelflex... then I'll take her out for the leak check!

It's probably going to take 2 weeks for my check to get down to florida and the product to arrive here... but its worth the wait (as I can't apply it until its 75[23] out anyways).

Aparently the stuff doesn't smell at all... so if I get really excited and can't wait maybe I can drag the boat inside lol.

Once my repair has been done I will post pics of the final product here!

But why spend the money sealing the boat if it doesn't leak?

It looks like "doodoo", and the guy said "You'd be surprised what a tube of caulking can do" so I'm pretty sure it leaks lol. :clapping:

My initial intentions with the leak check were to see how bad/where it was bad. But there was no drain plug so it would of been a futile attempt to put it in the water!

Edited by TC1OZ

wine cork or even a bunch of cigarette butts squeezed together do an excellent job of representing a drain plug. from experience.

heheh you are right! call me crazy but I just want the nice little snap in snap out drain plug :P