Beaver Problem ... need help

krawler

i just thought of this.... observe to see when the beaver leaves. make sure theres no other beavers in the house then BAM smash it up..... but who knows, that idea doesnt sound too logical either hahaha. good luck bud!

Well like Big Jim McBob and Billie S0L Hurok say, BLOW 'EM UP REAL GOOD! YEEHAW!

:lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bda_eIX3J2Y&feature=related

A trap used by someone who is not a licensed trapper is not only dangerous but illegal. Like I said, trapping is not the answer...it may be part of the answer but not a resolution. As long as it a suitable place to live another beaver will take the spot. Each year the two year olds are driven from the family dens to find their own territory so there are always young beavers looking for new places to reside.

Drive the beaver(s) out, make a suitable barricade and never worry about it again. If you rely on trapping alone, you will have to do it again and again.

Well said and very true!

There are probably 5 to 10 beavers shot around the area we deer hunt every season.

Their dams flood the dirt the road and wash it out. (only car/truck access to the area)

They also flood some prime habitat for the other creatures that live around the area.

Aside from introducing your current problem to a piece of hot lead, I'd say thick wire mesh or metal rods (or combination of the two) to block access to the dock would be a longer term solution.

You could probably find materials needed at a scrap yard. Make sure whatever you do, it blocks all access to your dock.

If you just block the door to the home, the beaver will get through in another spot.

Good luck !

Edited by Carp

outta curiousity, do you have a dog?

not a solution at all, just curious how adaptive are these beavers. being under a place where boats and footsteps are plentiful is surprising to me. to have a dog barking at you from time to time seems even more risky

I'd hire a trapper before shooting it with a .410, that's for sure!

Sometimes, depending on where your located and if the season is still open, some trappers will help you out for minimum fee due to the fact that they will be able to market the pelt. Once the season is closed and the pelt value is no longer there, they will charge more. Again, this depends on where you are and who you ask. If I was in your area, I'd do it for free.

For me, its comparable to someone asking me to come catch the bass under their dock...or to take that buck that has been eating the garden...lol

I agree with that last statement. Well said.

If you don't want to kill it, trap in alive and move it far away. There is a company in Wisconsin that makes live traps foalmost anything , the Tomahawk Live Trap company, their 800 number is 1-800-272-8727. you can also go online to tomahawklivetrap.com and check out their catalogue.

I have seen these traps and they tell me they sell a lot of them to the MNR in Ontario.

The people that run this company are very friendly and would be able to ship to you with no problem, But, I don't know the cost of the trap off hand.

Oh yes, this is a family run operation and have been in business for decades, and one of the guys that own it is a fishing fanatic and loves hunting so he is very approachable. His name is Greg Smith,

If you don't want to kill it, trap in alive and move it far away. There is a company in Wisconsin that makes live traps foalmost anything , the Tomahawk Live Trap company, their 800 number is 1-800-272-8727. you can also go online to tomahawklivetrap.com and check out their catalogue.

I have seen these traps and they tell me they sell a lot of them to the MNR in Ontario.

The people that run this company are very friendly and would be able to ship to you with no problem, But, I don't know the cost of the trap off hand.

Oh yes, this is a family run operation and have been in business for decades, and one of the guys that own it is a fishing fanatic and loves hunting so he is very approachable. His name is Greg Smith,

Live trapping and moving a beaver far away is not allowed by law. I think the limit is 1 or 2 kilometers..which is not far enough to stop them form finding their way back.

A friend had major problems due to damage from beavers. Oddly enough he got a new pet dog from the pound for his famly and the beavers dissapeared. The dog was a Jack Russel. They just left when she arrived, never to return..Just an idea

When I opened this thread, I expected to see photos of the... wild life.

Pesky critters are no fun. I had a bad squirrel problem once, now it's racoons and skunks. The latter bothers me most.

I had my backyard nicely landscaped last year and it has been trashed several times a week since.

Edited by Aaron Shirley