And they wonder why people get angry!

Big Cliff

So what you are stating is that I should move myself because someone comes in there with a shot gun because he has more rights, sorry my friend but not happening.

I have pictures I these guys laughing when they shot in our direction first and of them drinking beer.

SF, I'm not saying duck hunters have more rights, we don't. I'm just saying its common courtesy to give us some space if your fishing. I thought you would understand that, and after reading this, I'm sure you do. I'd take ya out for some birds anytime.

Now, after reading your story, I realize you've had a dealing with a couple freakin idiots, and I would have reported them too. I've had run ins with some real tools in my time on the water as well. I just keep on movin on. Its not because they have more rights, just for my own safety.

No hard feelings dude. I was just a little shocked that you were that close to duck hunters while fishing, and then complained about them shooting. I misunderstood I guess.

This post is getting off topic. Its not about race, colour or creed. If I saw a bunch of locals keeping over their limit, I'd report them too. Why is it that when poachers are mentioned, the race card gets played. Play by the freakin' rules and there are no problems. I see plenty of asians, germans, polish, ukrain, italian, even canadians.....etc. playing by the rules all the time. I'm not picking on any one race, just POACHERS!!!

S.

way to sensitive of an issue, and people get to passionate about the issues surrounding a resource we all want to use, i try to educate when i am out and phone if that doesn't work I am not gonna get to riled by the fact the co or police don't respond it's disheartning but i did all i could do without getting confrontational with people and continue on fishing

The asian-kawarthas thing is really sad and embarrassing (by the poaching of SOME asians, and the response of SOME locals). The COs and police really need to step it up.

That is exactly the kind of post that does absoutly nothing but create trouble and stir the pot to no end! I would like to invite you to come and spend a day on the water with me. We'll do the rounds and I will guarantee you, no, I'll bet you a free weekend stay at my place that by the end of the day you will see just as many non Asians poaching as you will see any particular race. You loose, you apologize publically on this board!

Cliff,you have been very professional throughout this whole thread. :clapping: I have read and reread this post numorous times. At work and home. Have typed my opinion numerous times,then deleted.It,s a real hard topic to comment on without being bashed or misunderstood. :whistling:

Your on the right track IMO. :canadian:

If I may,as for the duck hunters thing,we have the same problem here.We set up,and along comes the angler.I just step out,and explain we are hunting waterfowl and they have no isues with it.They move along.

Get along people. :canadian:

That is exactly the kind of post that does absoutly nothing but create trouble and stir the pot to no end! I would like to invite you to come and spend a day on the water with me. We'll do the rounds and I will guarantee you, no, I'll bet you a free weekend stay at my place that by the end of the day you will see just as many non Asians poaching as you will see any particular race. You loose, you apologize publically on this board!

Cliff - I said the asian-kawarthas "situation". You can say what you want, but you guys have a situation there.

The "situation" includes poaching (and lots of it), but it also includes a mess load of racism. I had never heard of "nipper tipping" until i went fishing there. I also wasn't *that* surprised when hearing about the poor kid that was paralyzed in that accident last year. The racism in that area is racism, because of the actions of a (very small) few people.

Quite frankly, i told my chinese buddy (who is NOT a poacher) to NOT go out in the boat by himself when at the cottage with us. It seems a little unsafe there if you're a chinese guy.

Its the fault of the ministry/COs for not putting their foots down on the select few poachers who are creating the reputation, and the police for not squashing the local vigilantes who step over the line.

And, to be clear - i am not calling you a vigilante. I'm referring to the idiots tipping boats, pushign people off piers, and running people down in their cars.

Edited by cram

Most of the time i find lack of knowledge is the base for poaching just last weekend i was heading to a legal spot on the river and noticed a person clearly fishing in a sanctuary in the middle of the river....i called out to him to ask how the fishing was ( this provided the opportunity to see his face and see if he was a native) and if he understood he was fishing in a closed section of the river ....his lights came on and he high tailed it out of the river...when he got to shore i reminded him it was wise to do your homework on any given body of water prior to casting a line so you know where and when you can fish...he was a nice guy ...just made a mistake...thats all it was...i took him down river and put him front of fish ...and he had a good day...

Every encounter doesnt have to be confrontation when its approached from the angle of trying to help or save someone some hardships of fines...i think 9 times outta 10 youll find you may just get a big thank you from most people for saving them from themselves...

in the same note...some just cant be saved

i was taught it was illegal to shoot a bird not in flight...maybe the rules have changed...

Lack of Knowledge isn't an excuse. Every angler and hunter has a responsibility to make sure that they know the regulations. Period.

...and I highly doubt 9 times out of 10 that is the case, regardless.

I would suggest that 9 times out of 10 that those people (poachers) use that as their excuse, because people tend to want to believe it.

Most of the time i find lack of knowledge is the base for poaching just last weekend i was heading to a legal spot on the river and noticed a person clearly fishing in a sanctuary in the middle of the river....i called out to him to ask how the fishing was ( this provided the opportunity to see his face and see if he was a native) and if he understood he was fishing in a closed section of the river ....his lights came on and he high tailed it out of the river...when he got to shore i reminded him it was wise to do your homework on any given body of water prior to casting a line so you know where and when you can fish...he was a nice guy ...just made a mistake...thats all it was...i took him down river and put him front of fish ...and he had a good day...

Every encounter doesnt have to be confrontation when its approached from the angle of trying to help or save someone some hardships of fines...i think 9 times outta 10 youll find you may just get a big thank you from most people for saving them from themselves...

in the same note...some just cant be saved

i was taught it was illegal to shoot a bird not in flight...maybe the rules have changed...

SF, I'm not saying duck hunters have more rights, we don't. I'm just saying its common courtesy to give us some space if your fishing. I thought you would understand that, and after reading this, I'm sure you do. I'd take ya out for some birds anytime.

Now, after reading your story, I realize you've had a dealing with a couple freakin idiots, and I would have reported them too. I've had run ins with some real tools in my time on the water as well. I just keep on movin on. Its not because they have more rights, just for my own safety.

No hard feelings dude. I was just a little shocked that you were that close to duck hunters while fishing, and then complained about them shooting. I misunderstood I guess.

This post is getting off topic. Its not about race, colour or creed. If I saw a bunch of locals keeping over their limit, I'd report them too. Why is it that when poachers are mentioned, the race card gets played. Play by the freakin' rules and there are no problems. I see plenty of asians, germans, polish, ukrain, italian, even canadians.....etc. playing by the rules all the time. I'm not picking on any one race, just POACHERS!!!

S.

No harm here. Still have love for ya bud. LMAO. Wasnt directing it at you just a couple of PM's zI got about having something against Duck Hunters which was not what it was about. I love hunting and have killed my share of animals as it is a fun passtime like fishing and a right to do so. My beef is with the authorities that complain that they dont get the publics help yet when we do they turn the other way.

Edited by smalliefisher

I have no experience with this issue, but I thought this quote from Ujal Dosanj, liberal member of parliment might have some pertinence,

“I think what we are doing to this country is that this idea of multiculturalism has been completely distorted, turned on its head to essentially claim that anything anyone believes – no matter how ridiculous and outrageous it might be – is okay and acceptable in the name of diversity.

“Where we have gone wrong in this pursuit of multiculturalism is that there is no adherence to core values, the core Canadian values, which [are]: That you don’t threaten people who differ with you; you don’t go attack them personally; you don’t terrorize the populace.”

...“I think Canadians need to engage in this cultural diversity debate,” he said. “And we actually have to say to each other: ‘Hey what you’re doing is wrong. What you’re doing here is right.’ We should stop being politically correct and have a debate.”

I want everyone to play by the same rules, putting our heads in the sand and pretending that some groups aren't different then others in their traditional practices and views ins't going to achieve that. Those who enforce our laws are no doubt as sensitive to being called a racist as we are. I know there are a ton of white people that are probably doing more damage than all of the non white poachers, but that doesn't mean the non white poachers should be ignored simply because we don't want to go down that road, and from everything i have seen, that does happen.

Thats probably trhe last and only time I will agree with a liberal mp.