Bass Pro Online

TC1OZ

Hello all.

I am about to put my credit card in for an order off of basspro.com and was wondering....

Looks like I might possibly be charged duties... any one have experience with this? My order comes to a total of $101, 20$ shipping, 6$ extra shipping for the rod. Then I found a coupon for $20 off when you order over 100$ (coupon code = save20a)

Go for it or just make the trip to the store?

You probably will be charged duty.

Just have to weigh the cost of shipping ,duty as well as your coupon code against the costs of gas/time driving down to the store and see what works out better.

You probably will be charged duty.

Just have to weigh the cost of shipping ,duty as well as your coupon code against the costs of gas/time driving down to the store and see what works out better.

I just thought of that after I posted lol.

I'm basically paying 6$ for the shipping as the coupon code covers the cost of shipping. Sure as hell beats driving.

And the items I'm getting are a great deal!

Do I have to pay cash on delivery for the duties? Or how does that work?

BPS has a store in Buffalo don`t they? How far is Buffalo from Fort Erie.

Canuck Buck is par!!!

Passports expired (75$ to renew) and I don't have the enhanced license upgrade (45$). So I can't enter the US right now hahaha.

As for the buck at par mastercard always has a great exchange rate!

So the nearest Canadian store is quite the hike, and they may not have everything I ordered! (as I pretty much ordered everything off the clearance page...)

Bait casting combo.. spinnners, buzz baits, top water, and some plastics.

Yes, COD when they come to your door.

I remember a long time ago I ordered a leather jacket for a friend off ebay, and the brokerage fee on it was just as much as the order.... Is something like that going to happen here?

Edited by TC1OZ

From my BPS experience it's hit and miss. Most of the time with reels and lures I don't get duty charges. Last rod order from the states was with Albright and I think the size of the rod tube got that order hit. I ordered some reels from them a few weeks later at a higher $ value and it sailed through with no duty.

I always consider duty as a convenience fee for not having to get dressed and got out to a store.

2 x 1560643_i-679250-t.jpg

Booyah® Bassinator Spinnerbait - Double Willow - Glimmer Shad & Chartreuse Perch - 1/2 oz

1 x 81176-t.jpg

Strike King® Mini Pro-Buzz® Buzzbait - Chartreuse White -1/8 oz

1 x 78190b-t.jpg

Booyah® Red Hook Series Buzzbait - 3/8 oz - Bleeding Black Red

2 x 250-208-00-t.jpg

Bass Pro Shops® Tube-N-Tail Kit

1 x 81024-t.jpg

XTS Speed Lures - Popper - Glass Minnow

1 x 73381-t.jpg

Catch-and-Release Tape Measure

1 x 99882-t.jpg

Rapala® Sportsman's™ 50-lb. Digital Fishing Scale

1 x 1469379_i-534494-t.jpg

Daiwa® Procaster® Baitcast Reel/Bass Pro Shops® Graphite Series™ Casting Rod Combo - 7'6" MH

They charged my master card for $107.00

I will update this post with what they charge my wife at the door.

I am fairly new to fishing and I cant afford a huge investment, so save the comments on how garbage the rod and reel probably are :D. Its my first bait caster and it looks the same quality as the crestfire combo they want $149 for at walmart. So getting all those baits and a rod+reel for less than what I would pay at Walmart...its a good deal I think?

I think this shopping excursion will set me up great for this years fishing tournament. Hoping to add some big numbers for the Bass and Pike come cottage time :D. Hell maybe even a muskie if I'm lucky :P

Now the waiting game....

Edited by TC1OZ

I always consider duty as a convenience fee for not having to get dressed and got out to a store.

And the fact that I spent the last hour browsing the fresh water fishing section of the basspro.com website while getting paid to "work". :clapping:

And don't forget the time well spent here too...

Between this board and my local board... I don't know how I get any work done hahahahaha. Good thing those tim hortons ladies don't actually call me with real technical issues :blahblah1:

**EDIT***

Just realized the bait caster alone (item#38-360-724-00) on the website is $69.99, came up as $43.37 as part of the combo.

Rod (item#38-130-096-00) $34.99 on its own, came up as $16.56

So the rod and reel purchased separately off the website (currently stocked items) would be a total of $104.98

Those items combo-ed (item#38-952-142-09) are in the clearance section for $59.94

Add all that gear and its still less than the rod and reel!!! Now that's a deal!

Edited by TC1OZ

Just got the slip that my package is in at Canada Post. Will pick up after work and let you know if I have to pay duties (It's a rod/reel).

Exciting! I'm hoping some of my buzz baits will get me into some monster largies like your profile pic!

You always post the best large mouth pics! lol.

first there is no duty on most things from BPS that is what free trade with the USA s about, however you do have to pay gst .once HST comes into play you pay it..

if you have UPS shipping it they will act as your broker and charge you a broker fee that can be a few bucks or up to 3/4 of the cost of what you order, I think they have a big wheel they spin to decide how much to charge on each shipment

What you order depends on if you're charged duty/taxes. If you order a Loomis or St. Croix rod or something that is made in the states, there is no duty. Falls under NAFTA. Last week I ordered $350 worth of stuff (Chronarch D7 and some Lucky Craft jerks, all made in Japan) and got an email from customer service the next day asking me to authorize an additional $30 for duties/taxes. I was told BPS uses Russell A. Farrow Ltd for brokerage across the boarder. My visa wasn't charged until I authorized the additional charges.

first there is no duty on most things from BPS that is what free trade with the USA s about, however you do have to pay gst .once HST comes into play you pay it..

I'm pretty sure this is only for items that are either made or assembled in the North America.

Edited by bdox

if you have UPS shipping it they will act as your broker and charge you a broker fee that can be a few bucks or up to 3/4 of the cost of what you order, I think they have a big wheel they spin to decide how much to charge on each shipment

hahaha I have no idea how they are shipping it. I just chose standard which says 3-6 business days. I'm hoping its just coming Canada post like Governators order. I have no qualms paying the GST its that brokerage fee that kills me!

I believe the free trade only applies if the item was made in the USA (or NAFTA country). So if the item was imported from china for sale in the US, then sold in Canada... I believe it would be charged duties.

What you order depends on if you're charged duty/taxes. If you order a Loomis or St. Croix rod or something that is made in the states, there is no duty. Falls under NAFTA. Last week I ordered $350 worth of stuff (Chronarch D7 and some Lucky Craft jerks, all made in Japan) and got an email from customer service the next day asking me to authorize an additional $30 for duties/taxes. I was told BPS uses Russell A. Farrow Ltd for brokerage across the boarder. My visa wasn't charged until I authorized the additional charges.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!!!

I tried the online support, they just copied and pasted the website which clears up nothing! hahaha.

Thanks man! Love all the great help!

When I ordered from BPS or Cabelas I am fairly certain it was all charged to my CC immediately (shipping, taxes, brokerage fee) and never had to pay anything COD. I always use USPS to avoid costly brokerage fees. Cabelas lost my order twice though, but replaced it without question.

NAFTA would cover most things made in USA, Canada or Mexico.

When I ordered from BPS or Cabelas I am fairly certain it was all charged to my CC immediately (shipping, taxes, brokerage fee) and never had to pay anything COD. I always use USPS to avoid costly brokerage fees. Cabelas lost my order twice though, but replaced it without question.

NAFTA would cover most things made in USA, Canada or Mexico.

Basspro.com website says who they use for brokerage and it says fee's are calculated when the items are actually packaged for shipping. As a web designer I know how impossible it would be to integrate charging the exact brokerage fees for certain items and not others (due to origin of manufacturer). By the wording of the statement I assume maybe they used to charge a flat fee regardless if it was one item or more? Perhaps that's what Cabela's does?

I can promise you this information is current as I made the post before ordering and have learned more about the process since ordering.