Star Tron Fuel Enzyme

skeeter

Does anybody use this stuff?

How do you think it works?

http://mystarbrite.com/startron/

I have used this for the past 2 seasons and put it in the boats I winterize and store. I am recommending it to all my customers especially with to-days fuel and the long periods of sitting idle. The ethanol that is put in the fuel to-day is hydroscopic and that means it attracts water especially if the container is open and the gas sits in the tank for more than a week. Gas will deteriorate meaning, it looses it's octane, in as little time as a week. The fuel will not combust as thouroghly and you will get more deposits accumulating in the engine. I am also using shell gas and have seen noticeable difference on the spark plugs, less deposits. Gas is made for cars not outboards or small engines so the dynamics are different and the fuel companies know this. I think that's why shell came up with there nitrogen enriched fuel. Startron is especially formulated for to-days fuel, with more ehtnaol and most additives are not thaking this into consideration. I have found my engines to run smoother and the plugs come out cleaner. Just my seat of the pants opinion and I see alot of engines in a season.

Here's a great tip on fuel issues. Run premium fuel in your engine. It does not contain any ethanol. You are getting better fuel, yes it costs more, BUT, it has more cleaning additives in it. If you do run regular AND your boat sits for longish periods between use and fueling, you should put some sort of fuel preservative whether it's Startron, Stabil Marine (the blue stuff), or Seafoam. Gasoline breaks down after 3 months or so and if you end up having a fuel separation problem, it is a big problem, gas on the top layer and water/alcohol on the bottom layer.... corrosion in your tank, possible problems with the tank material itself.... the list goes on and on. I learned about this last year and definitely don't want these types of issues. I run Premium gas in my I/O and don't expect to have any problems. In the fall when the boat sat for a couple of weeks between use, I put in some Stabil just to be safe.

Found this and thought it might shed some light on these additives. Don't know how true it is but makes you think about adding some of these products to your engine.

Marine Engines

Gas additives are often used by marine engine owners.

Now that E10 gas (contains up to 10% alcohol) is sold throughout most of the U.S.

many types of gas additive products are no longer necessary

and may actually increase your risk for water absorption and engine damage.

Ethanol alcohol, used for oxygenating E10 fuel is a

solvent, cleanser, degreaser, antifreeze, readily absorbs water and more.

Additives that once were useful may no longer be necessary when buying e10 gasoline.

Many fuel system products CONTAIN ethanol and other types of ALCOHOL.

View Additive List which includes alcohol content and water-absorbing properties.

View list of alternative, common and chemical names of alcohols and ethanol.

Additive products most likely to contain alcohol include: - Gasoline Water Removers - Example: Seafoam contains 10-20% isopropyl alcohol. - Fuel System Cleansers - Examples: Mercury Marine Fuel System Cleaner contains 15% isopropanol alcohol and napha solvent. CD2 Engine Tuneup contains Methanol (60-70%), Isopropanol 20-30%, 2-Butoxyethanol 10-20% and Diacetone alcohol 10-20%. - Fuel Conditioners - Example: Evinrude BRP/OMC 2+4 contains 95% alcohol! - Octane Enhancers - Example: Turbo Octane Boost 108 (North American Oil Co. and Blue Magic Company) ingredient list includes only Methanol and t-Butyl alcohol. Several brands of "Fuel Detergents", "Fuel Stabilizers" and "Rust Inhibitors" also contain alcohol, and should not be used with ethanol blends of fuel.

All Fuel Additives & Fuel System Treatment Products, that contain alcohol, should be avoided or used with caution with E10 gas.

E10 gas containing alcohol over the legal limit of 10%, often results from the engine owners,

unknowingly adding gas treatment products containing alcohol to their fuel tanks.

Since ethanol is an excellent cleanser, solvent, water absorber, degreaser and more - It's not surprising that these products would contain alcohol or chemicals with the exact same chemical properties of ethanol. Desiccants, like alcohol, also have a strong affinity for moisture and will absorb relatively large amounts of water from the atmosphere, forming a liquid solution. Deliquescent salts include calcium chloride, magnesium chloride, zinc chloride, Carnallite and sodium hydroxide. In addition to avoidance of using alcohol-based fuel additives with E10 fuel, several other simple precautions are now necessary.

Edited by fishnsled

Snake oil Dann.. plain and simple, like most of the shelf at CTC...

If you're running fine...don't blank with it..

I AGREE 100%...same can be said for all the oil additives on the market...years ago the worst was STP....tore down some engines in the 70's that ran STP and there was a gray puddy build up in the oil gallies and underneath the intake manifold.

The last can of SeaFoam that I had, said it was 100% petroleum.

I strictly run Shell high test in all my small engines, boat included. It's the only gas I know that's 100% ethanol free. My lawnmower, weedeater, etc. have never run better.