Cedar Boat Care

Lake Ranger

Hi Everyone, just wondering if anyone here owns a cedar boat and if so, what are the chances that one would still be ok after being left outside upside down, uncovered (not directly on the ground but placed on beams) for a couple of seasons now. Should I just have a giant bonfire?

Thanks!

cedarboat2.jpg

Bernie would know best!! :clapping:

I've painted ,varnished,stained,teak oiled ,stored, launched,ran, winterized , and summerized these things...

You may laugh or shake your head... but... SINK IT!!! :good:

Yes ... sink it for a few days every spring!! That's what we did with a fleet of 25 Giesler cedar strip boats every year.

It allows the wood to swell and stop all leaks caused by drying , shrinkage...then we threw an outboard on it and the tourists would run them all summer long... most of the boats were over 15 years old.. just goes to show that Bernie's family know what they're doing :D My boss would have us spray Thompson's Water Seal on the inside ..and we would paint the hull.... some looked like :devil: but would not leak a drop and run just as good as a new one.

And to this day there's nothing like crossing Nipissing on a rough day in a Bernie Boat ;) ... great boats for rough water.

Enjoy it!!

RFS

:canadian:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

That one looks like a 18ft Nipissing.

That is the most popular model that we build.

They are a very good boat.

If you would like a professional opinion bring it in to the boat shop in Powassan and get Joe to check it out to see if it's OK.

Here is one I restored in the last couple months. It was built in the late 1940's.

Yours is much newer than mine.

P1030279.jpg

P1030277.jpg

P1030291.jpg

P1030382.jpg

P1030384.jpg

Some boats had a fiberglassed bottom so the "soak up" wasn't necessary.

The sun is an enemy of the varnish coat and will peel off after a couple of summers if kept in direct sunlight. A mooring cover is a good idea if it is left outside.

We had a boat the same as yours that was kept inside a boathouse when not in use. In a 30 year period it only had one fresh coat of varnish.

PM me if you would like the boat shops number and details.

WOW! Thanks, everyone, for all your sound and informative advice! I'll definately be in touch with you experts and see what I can do to get this baby back in action!

Thanks again, very much appreciated! I thought for sure that the past few years of neglect would have done a number on this boat and I'd have to sink it just for the fish to play in! :)