Lake Joseph Laker report

selcram

Hello! Four of us went up to Lake Joseph to celebrate Disco Phish's birthday. What an amazing weekend! The weather was beautiful, mild, no wind, sunny skies. On Saturday the bite was on and the fish were biting agressively in approx 45 fow using Williams spoons and Meegs. By 10 am we had six fish already, ranging from two - five pounds. It slowed down during the afternoon and picked up again around 3 pm, where we caught three more, all fish were released, except one badly hooked in the gill rakers.

We headed to the same spot on Sunday but unfortunately, the action had slowed down considerably. We were skunked until just before packing up when caught one on a jig with yellow mister twister / minnow. All in all, what a great way to spend a weekend!!

baby_trout_2.jpg

2_Russell_trout.jpg

4___Joseph_Feb_24_2007.jpg

Edited by H2whoa!

Thanks for the report & pics. Glad to hear of your success.

How thick is the ice?

Thanks! The ice was approx. 12" thick with about 8" of snow on top. It was really slushy on saturday when we arrived but by Sunday it had froze solid with the chilly night.

we got into some fish like that last week over on gull lake, in minden. Same depth as well. i wonder if you move around, when the bit is off, to some deeper water if it'll pay off? did you guys try that?

Hello, I've never fished around Minden. Will have to try it sometime! We kept to area's that were mainly between 45 - 50 fow. We crossed over a section that went down to 100 ft but most people nearby were doing the same. We moved around a bit on Sunday with no success and after speaking to other's, seems everyone was in the same situation.

Heading there this weekend any tips on locations? PM me if you'd like were staying at silverlake cottages. Where's the closest place to get minnows? Hopefully my report Monday will be as productive as yours.

Awesome! I wish you all the success! Purchasing minnows can have you running around a little up there. You can drive to Glen Orchard, or the Healey Lake Marina (opened all year) ... they used to have minnows, I'm not sure about this year. You may find some good fishing around there too this time of year. I know I have. Let us know how you did! Silverlake should be a fine stay. Parry Sound isn't all that far if you are craving some dirty bird or pizza too ;)

we got into some fish like that last week over on gull lake, in minden. Same depth as well. i wonder if you move around, when the bit is off, to some deeper water if it'll pay off? did you guys try that?

A couple of my friends have cottages to the N/E of Minden, but I have yet to get to horseshoe or gull. I have heard lots about that lake. I have been on the Gull river amongst all the kayakers, and the bait shop has pictures of HUGE lakers from those waters. Bought my white water kayak from the store in town, and the store owner claims to have lost fish of substantial sizes. Bah ... all fish stories! ... lost fish ... , well what about the caught ones? hehe ;) We will make that trip soon. As H2Whoa! mentioned, we barely moved around. Theoretically, we should have moved during the lag times in the mid aft.

Thanks everyone!

Hey H2..... Good on you for your success in Lake Joe!.... well done.

I would suggest that next time things slow down you #1... try moving around a bit more... different depths off points/humps and especially the flats.... we have taken over 50 Lakers in the Haliburtons the past few weeks in different lakes....#2 Have found that dropping down to smaller minnows and/or spoons (tipped with tail end of 1/2 minnow) have produced well on slow days... light lines... 6lb max!... we got a 17lb Laker a couple weeks ago.... came on 4lb line!

Best of luck.....Greg.

Hey H2..... Good on you for your success in Lake Joe!.... well done.

I would suggest that next time things slow down you #1... try moving around a bit more... different depths off points/humps and especially the flats.... we have taken over 50 Lakers in the Haliburtons the past few weeks in different lakes....#2 Have found that dropping down to smaller minnows and/or spoons (tipped with tail end of 1/2 minnow) have produced well on slow days... light lines... 6lb max!... we got a 17lb Laker a couple weeks ago.... came on 4lb line!

Best of luck.....Greg.

Thanks everyone for your recommendations and tips! I'll definitely apply this weekend when we head to Georgian and Kempfelt Bays ( weather / conditions permitting! :angry: ) and see what happens! Trial, error and lots of luck! :rolleyes: