Lurkers Lectures

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I heard you didn't need to splurge for the two bearing model when you were just starting out, something about upgrading in the future after you decide if its the method you like...

better than the snoopy reels. i've heard they lock up in the cold.

None of this post is true...

You accuse me of flossing?? Nice.

So anyone who doesn't do what you do is a poacher and is doing it wrong?

How do you think all of us old timers caught fish before the centre pins came along? There was a time when using floats was considered 'uncool'. Any fool could use a bobber....

Again, evolution!!! i see more fish snagged and deliberately flossed by bottom bouncing (in rivers) than any other method,..and it is usually intentional.

Ok I will type s l o w e r ...lol...presntation sucks...controlling the fish sucks....and yes I caught well over 500 salmon and 150 steelhead on a spinning reel before a i evolved to the centrepin,...would i ever go back...not on your life...NOONE would!!!

so when are you going to evolve to a flyrod

WOW....and, kind of sad. Stonefly, man, relax...enjoy your technique, but, take a trip up to the lower Saugeen below the first island sometime, and, see if the guys bottom bouncing are flossing/force feeding, sometime in the fall/early winter preferably.

Good night all!!

Hmmm...isnt that the same location where several threads have talked about the rape and pilage of the fishery and all the locals keeping 2 and 3 times there limit per day...the 2 usually go hand in hand. But if you are defending the former,..thats your beef!!!

Wow..Never say such a fuss over the part of the fishing equipment that holds the line.Centerpins look like a very simple fly fishing type reel used to catch soft rayed minnow family fishes..bait fish as it were.Loosen up the drag on a Calcutta and thumb it and its the same deal,I would think and you would have an exellent reel to use for predator type fish.I dont get this elitist look down your snout at the guys who just want to catch fish with what they got.I dont think Solo is any ones "little buddy"but you already knew that when you posted that.Its called being an attention hoe.We know what you are by what you say,good luck with that.

Joe

Again.. :blahblah1::blahblah1: ..your full of it...I can say Anything I want as well,...doesnt make it true though does it...and its guys like you that talk Bull,.. just for the sake of arguing and defending your little buddy!!!

Who am I defending?? I'm not arguing. I'm just stating facts. Facts you would know if you had a clue :wallbash:

I changed my mind, I bet you've only been pinning for two years now.

S.

Wow..Never say such a fuss over the part of the fishing equipment that holds the line.Centerpins look like a very simple fly fishing type reel used to catch soft rayed minnow family fishes..bait fish as it were.Loosen up the drag on a Calcutta and thumb it and its the same deal,I would think and you would have an exellent reel to use for predator type fish.I dont get this elitist look down your snout at the guys who just want to catch fish with what they got.I dont think Solo is any ones "little buddy"but you already knew that when you posted that.Its called being an attention hoe.We know what you are by what you say,good luck with that.

Joe

LMAO...Little Buddy was reffereing to Dr. Sally...Im still waiting to hear how many Steelhead solo has caught this spring on anything but a centrepin...and buddy you obviously know NOTTA about what you are talking about...so your opinion means bunk...'Elitest' how ignorant are you? if you have ever seen me on the river...you would know Im far from that...the Centrepin is is simply the best weapon to catch steelhead on the river, not too mention salon or browns,...if you dispute that, you either dont know what your talking about or your just being an A**. Who ever 'WE' is and what you think? LMAO...the quality of responses I have seen Is very humerous,...

Who am I defending?? I'm not arguing. I'm just stating facts. Facts you would know if you had a clue :wallbash:

S.

Lol...and I bet you have none...if you sold them as you say..its probably because you dont know how to use them,....Ive caught many fish both using a spinner float set up and a centrepin/float ste-up...the later is far better in many ways...noone ever goes back,..there is a reason for it.....use your head before you type :)

and yet you still use a float rod...if you were that good, you would go with a flyrod exclusively...just my opinion

Well since your opinion carries so much weight,..why dont you tell me and everyone else which is more effective in general in Ontario rivers for catching steelhead?

S.

I just looked back at your posts on this topic...Exactly what facts did you state? you sold some centrepins...not exactly a fact...apparently the rest is just stating YOU know it all...? Fact...LOL

I could say the same thing about EVERY one of your replies...... :wallbash:

All that wall bashing is making you delerious...lol.

Drifting = Floatroad + centrePin = Best method

Spinners/spoons = Lightweight + Spinner reel/baitcaster = best method

Flyfishing = Fly Rod and Fly Reel = best method.

this is all I have been trying to say all along, if you read back you will realize this. they each have their own place,..but there is a reason most steelhead are caught with the first one and there is a reason more guys use it than any other in general.

All this B* about elitest has nothing to do with what im saying...Im not one of those guys walking around with $3000 on their backs...not by FAR!!! all the assumptions you ignoramcies made by lumping the 2 together,..says alot about your intelligence :)

Im still waiting to hear how many Steelhead solo has caught this spring on anything but a centrepin...

Two on the river, maybe a couple dozen off a certain pier.

Over the course of my lifetime, I don't know, hundreds?,thousands?

I do happen to enjoy fishing with a long light rod and a centrepin reel, that's obvious. ;)

Many times it's deadly because of the presentation. In many instances it's not and another tactic is superior.

If you can't grasp that simple fact, and it's clear that you don't, you really do have a lot to learn.

While you have zero problems imposing your odd thoughts on others it seems you get a bit touchy when someone contradicts you.

:dunno:

apparently if we disagree with his "know it all" attitude we're all solo ass kissers... although he does let his photos do the talking... stonefly on the other hand is so tough he threatens people on the internet.

I just saw your post now...and while hmmmmm...seems to be alot of know it alls that dont think much ...Id be quite happy to meet in person with you bud...I can come all the way up to the land of inbreeding and explain it to you...maybe show you how to fish as well :) 'careful' is not a threat,..but taking it as one just means your a pussy..lol

Edited by StoneFly

Been fishing for trout for almost 40 yrs here and 35 years float fishing with a float you had to buy made from balsa wood in the States. There are different drifts with my Tournament Drifter float reel setup, you just cannot fish proficiantly. I still try to bring 3 rods with me to fish with but its getting harder to portage all that stuff to some places. Float, spinning and casting setups, each has its skill and catches fish. You cannot say one is better than the other because I have gone to rivers where 30 or more people have drifted a bobber over the same area with the same technique and presentation and the bite has gone off. I see this, and either bottom bounce out in the fast, deep flowing river where the other fishermen just can't cast or they float through way too fast through it, or I hotshot a Kwikky also where they cannot drift because it is way too deep for them to reach float fishing. This produces alot of fish and then they wonder what they are doing wrong. One example is off the piers at the 'geen and another is the Niagara(upper n' lower). Lets see you floatfish in the Forebay 30 years ago. I have seen guides send people to some spots to hold so they can bring their clients there later. Still not happy about that one here. I have seen many things that young fishermen still need to learn. Etiquette, manners, releasing fish, the proper way to post fish photo's on the internet and the list goes on. Sorry to bore you all but cya on the river n' gl there......Rob!

Two on the river, maybe a couple dozen off a certain pier.

Over the course of my lifetime, I don't know, hundreds?,thousands?

I do happen to enjoy fishing with a long light rod and a centrepin reel, that's obvious. ;)

Many times it's deadly because of the presentation. In many instances it's not and another tactic is superior.

If you can't grasp that simple fact, and it's clear that you don't, you really do have a lot to learn.

While you have zero problems imposing your odd thoughts on others it seems you get a bit touchy when someone contradicts you.

:dunno:

dude,..just reacting to the insults as they fly at me. How would you rate holding a fish from diving into a logjam using a centrepin vs. spinner on a float set-up? theres many other instances....if you re-read the posts,..it was obviously an attack at me as I supposedly some sort of centrepin elitest...which is total Bull....but again my qustion was to you was,..of your last 3 threads you posted how many of those fish were not caught on a centrepin? Im betting zero....in addition,..i have stated many times that other presentations ie., flyrod and spinning reel for spinners and spoons can be effective....the main point is that drifting with a spinning rod is inferior to using a centrepin...this is what i have been saying all along....im not sure what is so hard to understand.

Edited by StoneFly

Between Sinker and Solo, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was close to 60yrs worth of steelheading knowledge and experience pooled between the both of them – Not to forget the other guys who chimed in…

As far as evolution goes, centrepins are the oldest reels in history developed by the Chinese a few thousand years ago (made of wood) and perfected by the English in the 1400’s…Surely spinning reels and baitcasters (with multiplier gearing and drags) would be the next step… :P

If I had to choose only 1 reel to take with me on a trip, a 2000 or 2500 sized spinning reel would be my choice for sheer versatility. I almost always have my spinning reel with me in my bag as a backup as well as for bottom bouncing or tossing lures (often times I bring a dedicated spinning outfit along too). If I lost the center screw on my pin I could easily use my spinning reel to drift floats down river (Which I did 2wks ago - found the screw in the end though). From a use perspective, I use a pin for the sheer fun of fighting a fish with it.

The only limitation a spinning reel has for presenting baits or fighting fish is the limitation in skill of the angler using it. Can you go from total free spool to lock down while fighting a fish with a spinning reel? Definitely: Just finger the spool with your index finger (not too different from using a pinky as a drag with the pin)…With the right technique you can make the same long, drag-free drifts as well as trot the float back. Is it easier to drift a float with a centrepin? Sure, it’s more efficient to use one…Is a centrepin more effective at drifting? No

I don’t believe that anyone here is arguing that spinning reels are more efficient or effective than a centrepin at drifting…They are arguing that spinning reels can be AS effective at drifting given the skills of an angler to adapt and use them. By ‘effective’ I’m referring to the fact that you can make the same drag free drift as you can with a centrepin.

With regards to bottom bouncing, understandably it’s a different culture on the rivers now (at least for Lake O tribs) – Most guys who are starting the float game now do so with a centrepin. They don’t think they can use a spinning reel to achieve the same quality of drifts as with a pin (or they get frustrated learning how to or see the growing population of pinners pounding fish – More pinners = more fish caught with pins). Lake O rivers nowadays are silt choked, slow moving ditches (not that they weren’t before but way more now) which makes bottom bouncing less desirable to do (though still very possible).

If I was faced with a river full of pocket water or stretches of deep, fast flowing water, I wouldn’t hesitate to leave a $1400 float combo behind at home and use my 9ft med action spinning combo to bounce bottom. If I was going to purposely snag or line a fish, I wouldn’t use a float either…It would save me $2.50 in tackle in case I break off as well as give me a more direct point to snag a fish with. I see tons of float guys run ‘search’ leaders well overdepth attempting to line fish in shin deep water – It works both ways

With all said and done, with the right guidance, a newbie can pick up a spinning reel + float rod and within a 5-10min lesson can pound fish…As EC1 can attest from last December. I must say, he did have a kick-ass guide… :whistling:

edwinsteel.jpg

Its obvious you don't know how to use a spinning reel.....

A center pin will aid in presentation......yes.

In fighting a fish....not so much. Haven't you ever used your finger on the spool of a spinning reel?? It comes as second nature to guys who use them. Not to mention a way faster line retrieve, for when they turn and run right at you. A spinning reel is also a lot warmer than holding a solid piece of aluminum in your hand when its freezin cold out. I know for sure you can't cast as far with your pin as I can with a spinning reel too.

You say you don't have the "elitest" attitude, but I'd beg to differ, after reading your replies. Your so caught up in it, you don't even realize it.

Been fishing for trout for almost 40 yrs here and 35 years float fishing with a float you had to buy made from balsa wood in the States. There are different drifts with my Tournament Drifter float reel setup, you just cannot fish proficiantly. I still try to bring 3 rods with me to fish with but its getting harder to portage all that stuff to some places. Float, spinning and casting setups, each has its skill and catches fish. You cannot say one is better than the other because I have gone to rivers where 30 or more people have drifted a bobber over the same area with the same technique and presentation and the bite has gone off. I see this, and either bottom bounce out in the fast, deep flowing river where the other fishermen just can't cast or they float through way too fast through it, or I hotshot a Kwikky also where they cannot drift because it is way too deep for them to reach float fishing. This produces alot of fish and then they wonder what they are doing wrong. One example is off the piers at the 'geen and another is the Niagara(upper n' lower). Lets see you floatfish in the Forebay 30 years ago. I have seen guides send people to some spots to hold so they can bring their clients there later. Still not happy about that one here. I have seen many things that young fishermen still need to learn. Etiquette, manners, releasing fish, the proper way to post fish photo's on the internet and the list goes on. Sorry to bore you all but cya on the river n' gl there......Rob!

that is a much more well thought out intelligent reply Rob...and I think you have agreed with what I have said several times....(I should have pointed out the niagara as an exception) not too many other rivers get to 30'+ deep. I thought i had made it clear that float/centre pin, spinnin/baitcaster for spinners, and flyrods were 3 methods that are effective in my opinion....yes obviously on the niagara, alot of guys bottom bounce 30' down....but in 4' ; of water....sorry I still dont agree,..but thats fine...Ive seen what ive seen. And FYI,..i never claimed to be any expert on any of it....but my experience on the rivers has shown me, i do a little better than the average guy...Do i think I am in Solo's league,..no way...he has got 20 years and 30 hours a week to fish ,..lol....I still beleive no matter what he says for the purpose of this thread, he uses a pin for steelhead from the riverbank 95% of the time,..and he has not denied that. I understand at your age, riverromping is maybe too much...not a dig,..and thats why you sold your pins and bought a chair to bottom bounce. there are some morning I want to do the same,..but it gets real boring to me. anyways,..i hope more guys do take up bottom bouncing in the smaller rivers...more fish for me to catch. ;)

and what you mentioned about 'switching it up'..i fully agree,..but not neccesarily for technique...but bait,..shot..etc...i love walking up to a roe pressured hole and dropping in a nymph and get a fish on first drift.

Edited by StoneFly

I think SF's point here is that, with all things being equal, you have a greater chance of landing of steelhead on a float setup than a spinning.

EG:

Both have the exact same line, shot rig, float, bait, and the fish is in the exact same spot.

If you hooked into that fish with a pin, you would have a better chance fighting and landing it than if you did with the spinning.

Not to say that you still can't land a fish with the spinning setup, but I think statistics have proven otherwise.

Exactly what I was saying!!!