Boat Trailer Help

glen

I would like to get a low boat trailer. Right now i can trailer my boat with the motor all the way down. I would like to get a trailer that is about 6" lower. Is this a good idea? Where can i get one of these trailers near barrie.

Here are a few pics to show what i am talking about.

Boat with low trailer.JPG

compact-boat-trailer.jpg

Shorelander makes a nice low pro trailer as well as easy hauler just go to there site and find a dealer locator

shorelander even has a boat match up , type in your type of boat and it will give you the best model designed for your rig

Edited by Bondar

You need a trailer with drop axles. This is going to make your trailer a little wider, hope that's not an issue. Mine is the same as yours, so I know where your coming from. I want a new one too. A drive on would be nice. Let me know how you make out.

S.

What Sinker said! Measure how wide yours is hub to hub. Add how much extra you need to get the tire covers outside the boat sides x both sides. Add the numbers together and hit a trailer place or Princess Auto for a drop axle that width. You will also need the measurement for spring pad to spring pad to fit your frame. Jack your trailer up.. drop the axle and then bolt the new one in place.

I did a quick search and found they're only $150 in the US...

axlesize5.jpg

Edited by irishfield

What Sinker said! Measure how wide yours is hub to hub. Add how much extra you need to get the tire covers outside the boat sides x both sides. Add the numbers together and hit a trailer place or Princess Auto for a drop axle that width. Jack your trailer up.. drop the axle and then bolt the new one in place.

Ya, ya, what Wayne said. Modify the one you've got. The local high school welding class can probably do it.

Jim

Sorry to flog this post.

I looked at some trailers yesterday and I cant find what i am looking for. I need to have the skeg 2" off the ground when tilted fully down.

I don't need drop axles because i want 12" wheels. The axle only has 9" of ground clearance with 12" wheels.

My boat will have to go between the fenders to be able to go lower then it is now.

The bottom of my boat is 60" wide.

My trailer has the skeg 8" off of the ground when tilted fully down.

Maybe they don't make 1200lb trailers like this.

If it ##$%35^%$# me off any more i will build my own but that will cut into my fishing time.

Thanks for the help so far.

Glen, you have one other option that hasn't been mentioned, maybe you don't like the idea or don't want to go that route, I never trailer mine with the motor completely vertical(up/down), I use a transom saver, the motor is tilted at about 35-40 degrees up, gives about a foot of clearance, and, saves a whole lot of wear and tear on the transom, no motor flopping around. This way you can still go with a wider drop axle and 12/13 inch tires with no loss of clearance for the skeg.

heres a shot of the lund i just got rid of it was on a lund trailer , shorelandr makes lund trailers i think ?

the motor would just touch the ground when it was all the way down and hitched on the truck but i guess you could adjust the bunks up a couple inches to suit your needs

lund4.jpg

Edited by Bondar

I was just looking through the EZ Loader catalogue from a couple of years ago when I bought a new trailer for my 16' Crestliner.

They don't seem to offer a drop axle model until you get into the 2100 lb class (EZL 90, that's what I got). I had much the same problem as you, my boat sat way too high on my old trailer making it a pain to load at some ramps.

I don't know what money you're willing to spend, but I paid $1599 for the new trailer. My dealer gave me a $400 trade-in for my old one (it was in much worse condition than yours appears), so for $1199 plus tax I was very happy.

Launching and loading is now a breeze, I'm never the one looking the fool at the ramp anymore.

1200 lbs for your boat may be a bit light anyways. I was surprised when we did the math and my boat could be as much as 1800-1900 lbs when fully fueled and loaded, especially if you take the boat on any extended camping trips, it's surprising what you might end up loading her up with.