battery

Its time for a new battery and just wondering if anybody has any good input.

Its gotta start a 2002 merc 75 elpto.

good or bad reviews of crappytire vs bass pro batteries etc

Buy the best you can afford. If you have too many cranking amps, that is not a bad thing, IMHO, a gelcell battery may be a very good option to look at

What does your manual say? You can stick enough "D" cells together, they will start it too. Manual, not the mexican, the book for the motor.

Bass Pro, Canadian Tire, Wallymart, Costco and a pile of other places DON'T make batteries, they just sell batteries with their respective stickers obtained from one of the 3 big battery manufactures. Once you figure out what size you need, made sure the put in service date is relatively close to the buying date, ie, not covered with an inch of store dust. Makes you wonder how long the last batch of marine batteries has been sitting on the shelf.

The more you spend now, the less you will spend later and this is a case where bigger is better. The only time it will really matter is when it does matter. For example your motor decides it doesn't feel like starting. A cheap battery will quit trying long before a good quality one will. Also, a good quality battery will give you more seasons before you need to replace it as long as you take care of it.

For example your motor decides it doesn't feel like starting. A cheap battery will quit trying long before a good quality one will. Also, a good quality battery will give you more seasons before you need to replace it as long as you take care of it.

Not often I'll disagree with Big Cliff, but, if your motor "decides" it doesn't feel like starting, then it's a motor problem, not a battery problem. You could have the best battery in the world, if your motor is out of tune, a piece of ill maintained junk, then don't fault the battery, fault yourself for failing to maintain it. I will agree that taking care of batteries can make them last a loooong time.

I agree with cliff

if you flooded your motor or spark plug wires need replacing or choke isn't right or many other things can make a motor hard to start and a bigger battery will give you abetter chance of getting it started

even if you forget and leave a light on bigger is better

I agree with cliff

if you flooded your motor or spark plug wires need replacing or choke isn't right or many other things can make a motor hard to start and a bigger battery will give you abetter chance of getting it started

even if you forget and leave a light on bigger is better

Terry, you've just shot yourself in the foot, if your wires need replacing, replace them, if your choke doesn't work right, get it fixed, maybe some people need a battery the size of a Terex truck cause their motor is a POJ.

well sure if you know you have a problem or if the shop caught all the problems

but in the real world people find out they have a problem when the problem happens

and 40 mile up a lake camping I will take the extra power every time

so my foot is on the gas going home the person that listened to you is walking the shoreline trying to find a way home

Buy the best you can afford. If you have too many cranking amps, that is not a bad thing, IMHO, a gelcell battery may be a very good option to look at

Ya gell pac is good,but watch what you get.My bud had to send his back for warranty.He had it for 3 months.Drove me nuts doing the electrical on his 4 runner modifications.New to you I say.