I second Jocko's fear of low water levels

irishfield

Pics I received of my docks today. Apparently I'm not even an island anymore... there is dry land behind all the way to mainland. The airplane dock is high and dry and gonna get damaged when the ice melts out from under it. Water is about 3 feet below normal ice out levels.. and at least a foot lower than the lowest it usually gets at fall drain out. Ice is still cracking and banging.. meaning the water is still going down. Pray for rain folks.. and lots of it!

..only good news.. looks like the tarp stayed on my steel boat! :clapping: ... but I'm gonna have trouble getting it back in the water! :wallbash:

waterlevel1.jpg

waterlevel2.jpg

Edited by irishfield

Pics I received of my docks today. Apparently I'm not even an island anymore... there is dry land behind all the way to mainland. The airplane dock is high and dry and gonna get damaged when the ice melts out from under it. Water is about 3 feet below normal ice out levels.. and at least a foot lower than the lowest it usually gets at fall drain out. Ice is still cracking and banging.. meaning the water is still going down. Pray for rain folks.. and lots of it!

I agree ... I was up HWY805 today and saw no snow and low water everywhere... Temagami River is but a trickle so is Upper Sturgeon... Yorston & Gull were accessible by truck this past weekend.... what's in store? HMM :dunno:

Same here PRAYING FOR RAIN!!! :worthy:

RFS

:canadian:

The mighty St. Lawrence is the same way. This time of year I can usually walk right off my boat onto the dock. Right now I have to pull myself up. The water is down about 4-5 feet. It's gone down about 2 feet since New Years, the last time I was on the water before the freeze. At least it cannot go down much further because they need to keep a minimum level for the shipping lane.

The mighty St. Lawrence is the same way. This time of year I can usually walk right off my boat onto the dock. Right now I have to pull myself up. The water is down about 4-5 feet. It's gone down about 2 feet since New Years, the last time I was on the water before the freeze. At least it cannot go down much further because they need to keep a minimum level for the shipping lane.

Yes they need to keep the shipping lanes open and historically have kept the lanes where I am at 45 to 55FOW. However, to do this they need to regulate water flow from various dams around the Great Lakes. It's looking like they may have very little to regulate this year. We have a water levels rule at the club...I'll be by there this weekend to check that out for sure. We need a minimum of 8' at the docks for the keels....we haven't got that now.

Not good. I'm coming up that way twice this year. Given my history though, I don't think praying will help. Can I sacrifice something?

You'd be surprised what praying can do. laugh.gif

Unless some knows some other way through this drought. But then again that what April showers are for.

dsn

now that your not an island ....could be some property tax breaks comming your way ...along Georgian the "water front" properties are trying to get reassessed to "water view" due to the declining water levels

I would think Huron is down about 16 to 18 inches

It'll be interesting to see how the Kawartha levels hold up this year.

Right now on the Tri-Lakes we are at a good summer level. Last year, within a week after ice-out (which hasn't happened quite yet, any day though) the water came up at least another two or three feet above what it is right now.

This is from April 9 last year:

2009_0409Image0004.JPG

That's normally not a floating dock...

Edited by Jer

I'm seeing ATV's travelling the sand flats out front regularly here on Nipissing. Which normally wouldn`t cause me any concern, but like I said in the other thread, I think the spring run-off is done, done, done.

:dunno:

Boy do we need rain, but we`re almost at the end of the month and we`ve had only about 1% of the normal precipitation for March! April will have to be real monsoon weather!

The ice is working on Nip today - you can hear it cracking and rumbling.