Algonquin Park Marketing Plan - UPDATED

ADB

Hello everyone,

I am currently taking Sports & Leisure Marketing at York and am I working on my last project of the term. We have been assigned the task of choosing a tourism property and developing a marketing plan for it. I chose Algonquin.

Essentially I have to come up with a set of recommendations about how Algonquin can, basically, make more money through a more effective marketing strategy, and be economically sustainable in the future.

I can think of some ideas in terms of the strategy - I'm not going to ask OFC to do my project for me. (Unless you guys have some ready good ones ;) ) I am moreso asking everyone how they can remember Algonquin marketing itself in the past, or even currently. I care more about cases of Algonquin specifically, and not Ontario Parks. However, even cases about Ontario Parks can be useful.

That's about it. Any help you guys can provide is appreciated!

UPDATED:

Thanks for the input everyone.

We are going forward with Algonquin. Even if we wanted to change, it is simply too late in the term to do so. Anyways, we have to do some primary research in order to identify what people think of the park, what they know about the park, etc. If you could be so kind as to answer the following questions it would be much appreciated!

1) In general, do you feel that a trip to Algonquin Park is/would be a) inexpensive; b ) moderately expensive; c) expensive?

2) Do you feel the $11 per night interior fee is reasonable?

3) Do you feel the $13 per vehicle day-use fee is reasonable?

4) Are you aware that one can rent all the needed equipment from the outfitters surrounding the park?

5) From the GTA, Algonquin Park is about a 3 hour drive. Do you view this drive as too far for a day trip?

6) What activities are you aware of that one can take part in at Algonquin?

7) If applicable, when making a reservation with Ontario Parks, was your experience a) pleasant; b ) frustrating; or c) average?

8) When thinking about Algonquin Park, do you think of a) rugged terrain; b ) lots of bugs; c) untouched wilderness; d) summer crowds; or e) paradise? (Choose ALL that apply).

9) Would you attend a cultural event if it was held at Algonquin Park, such as: Chinese Lantern Festival, Easter Egg Hunt, etc.

10) As arguably Ontario Parks' most popular and significant park, do you feel Algonquin Park should be marketed specifically to the public and tourists?

That is all guys...thanks a lot!

Edited by ADB

Apart from stuff like campsite maps, you won't find much in the way of marketing materials for Algonquin Park specifically because they don't exist. In Ontario, provincial parks are marketed together under Ontario Parks. The government doesn't allow individual parks to compete against each other, so all are marketed under the same umbrella.

Are you really sure you want to do a provincial park for this project?

Because Algonquin is a provincial park, any ideas you come up for your project with will involve spending public money, and that's going to mean a LOT more extra work on your end. For starters, the profs at York will want you to demonstrate that your strategy is fully compliant with existing provincial policy and planning guidelines. Ever read government policy documentation? It's brutal. But if you're being marked on this at a university level, you better have that info in your report or you'll take a hit on your final mark. You'll need to devote close to a full week of research time on policy alone.

Regulatory issues are another matter. Anything you do has to conform to existing government protocols. That means yet more research time on your end. I won't even go into the hoops you'll need to jump through when it comes to budgeting. You may come up with the best marketing strategy in the world, but demonstrating that it fits within existing bureauocracy, regulations and policies will take up a huge amount of your time. If you skip this, or do an incomplete job, the prof will hang you out to dry - trust me.

Why not make it easier on yourself and do your project on a privately-owned property instead? La Reserve Beauchene, in Quebec, would be a good example. Because it is privately owned, Beauchene can do things that provincial parks like Algonquin can't - like advertise, exhibit at sports shows, invite TV show hosts to film programs there, attend sports shows in the US, etc etc. You'll have way more flexibility in what you can do, and you won't have to waste mountains of time writing about how you'll get through all the red tape. Apart from that, you'll be able to find all sorts of existing marketing materials on Beauchene - try a Google search, or contact them directly.

Just a suggestion .... if you go this way you can devote more time to your actual marketing plan, and less time addressing bureauocratic nonsense.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

Thanks for the reply, Craig.

The main purpose of the project is actually to analyze their current marketing strategy, while the recommendations are of a somewhat smaller significance. You're right that if it was more a recommendations-based paper then things like budgeting and regulations would be a bigger issue. But, in the end, it is only a 12 page (double spaced) report and it doesn't warrant that kind of detail.

I'm aware of the lack of marketing from the park, but being only 21, I wanted to see if things were always this way.

Personally, I don't see what it being publicly run has to do with them running a garbage marketing strategy. The LCBO is run by the province as well, but that doesn't stop them from spending money on marketing. But that's a matter for another day...

Thanks for the reply, Craig.

The main purpose of the project is actually to analyze their current marketing strategy, while the recommendations are of a somewhat smaller significance. You're right that if it was more a recommendations-based paper then things like budgeting and regulations would be a bigger issue. But, in the end, it is only a 12 page (double spaced) report and it doesn't warrant that kind of detail.

I'm aware of the lack of marketing from the park, but being only 21, I wanted to see if things were always this way.

Personally, I don't see what it being publicly run has to do with them running a garbage marketing strategy. The LCBO is run by the province as well, but that doesn't stop them from spending money on marketing. But that's a matter for another day...

It is a bit different in that the LCBO is a Crown Corporation, while MNR (which administers Ontario Parks) is a provincial ministry. Different guidelines, different rules, different opportunities.

Still think you'll be better off to avoid anything public sector, but your call. Have fun with it in any case!

Interesting topic and challenge. From someone who used to go to Algonquin every year - until the BMWs and Mercs with boom box stereos and plug in fridges started to show up with people who wanted only to get wasted and make a mess. Dont get me wrong - I certainly had my share of parties in campsites (anyone else remember when motorcycles weren't allowed in? The year they let them in I was one of the first there on my old Honda 350 twin). But that wasn't the reason I went - that was shall we say, a pleasurable and quiet resultof relaxing after a day in the canoe, hiking or tracking doen a stream.

The question is - is the idea to increase traffic in the parks, making a profit off our natural resources or protecting what we have and creating enough cash flow to maintian the wilderness? As long as they treat the parks like the Walmart of outdoors they will always have to find something else to market and attract the "in-crowd"

Now ask how many people here are willng to pay more than $1200 bucks for a a chance to experience an un-Wallyworld week on the Attiwapiskat River, and how much money was spent on that ad (enormous bumber sticker costs side?)

Hey Ontario - preserve what you have, don't pimp it.

My $0.02

Apart from stuff like campsite maps, you won't find much in the way of marketing materials for Algonquin Park specifically because they don't exist. In Ontario, provincial parks are marketed together under Ontario Parks. The government doesn't allow individual parks to compete against each other, so all are marketed under the same umbrella.

Are you really sure you want to do a provincial park for this project?

Because Algonquin is a provincial park, any ideas you come up for your project with will involve spending public money, and that's going to mean a LOT more extra work on your end. For starters, the profs at York will want you to demonstrate that your strategy is fully compliant with existing provincial policy and planning guidelines. Ever read government policy documentation? It's brutal. But if you're being marked on this at a university level, you better have that info in your report or you'll take a hit on your final mark. You'll need to devote close to a full week of research time on policy alone.

Regulatory issues are another matter. Anything you do has to conform to existing government protocols. That means yet more research time on your end. I won't even go into the hoops you'll need to jump through when it comes to budgeting. You may come up with the best marketing strategy in the world, but demonstrating that it fits within existing bureauocracy, regulations and policies will take up a huge amount of your time. If you skip this, or do an incomplete job, the prof will hang you out to dry - trust me.

Why not make it easier on yourself and do your project on a privately-owned property instead? La Reserve Beauchene, in Quebec, would be a good example. Because it is privately owned, Beauchene can do things that provincial parks like Algonquin can't - like advertise, exhibit at sports shows, invite TV show hosts to film programs there, attend sports shows in the US, etc etc. You'll have way more flexibility in what you can do, and you won't have to waste mountains of time writing about how you'll get through all the red tape. Apart from that, you'll be able to find all sorts of existing marketing materials on Beauchene - try a Google search, or contact them directly.

Just a suggestion .... if you go this way you can devote more time to your actual marketing plan, and less time addressing bureauocratic nonsense.

debbie downer.

:-)

A group of us went to algonquin park annually for 10 yrs....when choosing the actual spot, i remember getting more info from Friends of Algonquin Park and myccr.com (or whatever it is) than the parks info site itself. Also had some information in various ontario parks publications (what fish were in which lakes, etc).

That said, not sure any of that stuff convinced us to go to the park or spend more (with the park) while there.

I still think algonquin is a jewel, and we end up really enjoying what is for us a truly unique experience (relative to other drive-in parks). We spend a fair amount of money, but much of that is to the neighbouring outfitters.

I have only been a couple of times - nothing to the interior. Just passing through and staying in the campgrounds, I too was disappointed with jerks. Maybe that too is something to dispell in a markeying plan.

I seem to recall though - everything I ever heard was word of mouth. Growing up in St. Catharines it seemed like it was so far away. I would sit in awe thinking of doing those trips. Given tweets and blogs and facebook this would seem appropriate. I also remember a big obstacle (which really was just an excuse) was lack of gear and cost of rentals. Maybe busting those myths might be a way of approaching it. That might be something to work on.

Good project :canadian:

I've been camping, hiking and fishing Algonquin park for over 30 years now.

I seen some changes and some improvements mainly to the drive-in camping areas and the roads.

Not much else in the way of advertising it though. Like previously stated, the Parks Canada group all Provincial Parks together thus eliminating competition with each other.

If you are set on Algonquin then perhaps you could go a different route with the thesis.

I have noticed that the wildlife and fauna of Algonquin is unique. Red wolves in fact are not found in more than two other places in North America. No other place on this planet is like Algonquin Park. It's one of Canada's first Provincial Parks and has a long and interesting history or native peoples and newer human companions.

The sad part of us humans being delegated to "protect" it is that we just don't do a good job. We still have fishing and logging limits that are WAY too high inside and around the park.

In my personal opinion, we need to make the park a "NEW" marketing plan. Only catch & Release fishing, No logging and "Tread Lightly" trails with guides and educators teaching visitors to respect the life inside the park and adapt to it instead of bending it towards our own ways.

This would mean that our Gov't will need to be serious about conservation for once and for all.

We need to teach our children that this is the only way to go in the future.

After all, in a fishing scenario for instance, If one fish is caught and killed, then it's gone and the next visitor cannot catch it again. But if that fish is released to fight another day, then many can enjoy the thrill of catching the same fish. That's why it's called "fishing" and not "keeping or killing".

This must be a learning experience and the respect that goes along with it will be taken seriously by all.

If you need any more input or information on Algonquin Park please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

I have many interesting stories and tips and know a lot of past history and peoples and can point you in the right direction for finding info. about the Park., etc. as well.

Good luck with the project.

Stan Banfield

~Architectural Engineering

~Mechanical Engineering

~Certified Welder

Madoc, Ontario

[email protected]

We are going forward with Algonquin. Even if we wanted to change, it is simply too late in the term to do so. Anyways, we have to do some primary research in order to identify what people think of the park, what they know about the park, etc. If you could be so kind as to answer the following questions it would be much appreciated!

1) In general, do you feel that a trip to Algonquin Park is/would be a) inexpensive; B) moderately expensive; c) expensive?

4) Are you aware that one can rent all the needed equipment from the outfitters surrounding the park?

5) From the GTA, Algonquin Park is about a 3 hour drive. Do you view this drive as too far for a day trip?

7) If applicable, when making a reservation with Ontario Parks, was your experience a) pleasant; B) frustrating; or c) average?

8) When thinking about Algonquin Park, do you think of a) rugged terrain; B) lots of bugs; c) untouched wilderness; d) summer crowds; or e) paradise? (Choose ALL that apply).

9) Would you attend a cultural event if it was held at Algonquin Park, such as: Chinese Lantern Festival, Easter Egg Hunt, etc.

10) As arguably Ontario Parks' most popular and significant park, do you feel Algonquin Park should be marketed specifically to the public and tourists?

1) In general, do you feel that a trip to Algonquin Park is/would be a) inexpensive; B) moderately expensive; c) expensive?

7) If applicable, when making a reservation with Ontario Parks, was your experience a) pleasant; B) frustrating; or c) average?

8) When thinking about Algonquin Park, do you think of a) rugged terrain; B) lots of bugs; c) untouched wilderness; d) summer crowds; or e) paradise? (Choose ALL that apply).

1. The trip is expensive in total.

2. $11 per person per night is too expensive interior. It used to be $11 per campsite with 9 people allowed.

3. Yes reasonable.

4. Yes I realize the equipment is rentable but it is expensive and unavailable at some entrances.

5. It's too far for a day trip at today's gas prices.

6. I think the "entertainment" is what you make it. It's not supposed to be a layed on thing.

7. Frustrating because once you start your trip the reservations on various lakes mean NOTHING! There are virtually no park rangers in the interior anymore.

8. a) B) and e) I use the more difficult areas of the park to avoid the crowds and noise.

9. I see no need for cultural events unless they educate people as to the history of the Park. First Nations, Park Rangers, Wild Fires, Endangered Species, Early Struggles with Poachers, etc.

10.The Park is busy enough. I don't think we need to market it, except for some feel good ads that make people aware of its existance.

Dan O.

1) In general, do you feel that a trip to Algonquin Park is/would be a) inexpensive; b ) moderately expensive; c) expensive?

Inexpensive

2) Do you feel the $11 per night interior fee is reasonable

Yes. I would pay double that.

Yes. I would pay double that.

yes.

Yes. Too far for a day trip. A little far for a 2 day wknd. Completely fine for 3+ days.

None, but wouldn't care so haven't paid attention.

7) If applicable, when making a reservation with Ontario Parks, was your experience a) pleasant; b ) frustrating; or c) average?

A - pleasant.

8) When thinking about Algonquin Park, do you think of a) rugged terrain; b ) lots of bugs; c) untouched wilderness; d) summer crowds; or e) paradise? (Choose ALL that apply).

a, b, and e.

No.

No.

Back in the 80's and early 90's we used to hit the park for opening weekend every year. Some years were brutally cold. But then the crowds became annoying, year after year the idiots became more and more frequent. Eventually we started to fish the areas on the fringe of the park boundries and found the fishing was awesome and there were no crowds. I guess most people figure you have to fish the park for the best fishing and drive right past the best fishing in my opinion. sounds like a cool project your working on. Goog luck with it.

Alot of people don't realize that Algonquin was originally setup as a logging preserve, and not a bastion of S.Ont "wilderness". Logging is still the primary revenue stream, with the Park more to protect prime harvesting areas from development than anything to do with wildlife preservation.

It's a little pricey for unserviced sites, the trip to the park is reasonable enough and unlike alot of parks in the US the locals outside the park aren't there to gouge travellers to death.

See above.

Depends on the use, for hiking trails & stocked lake fishing yes.

Yes, but if you're not starting a trip on Opeongo distances from desired entrances make it more practical & affordable to rent equip locally than at the park.

No, the only occasions I visit Algonquin anymore are only day trips.

Lot's of fun biking roads around the park, playing chicken with a moose on a motorcycle will get the blood pumping.

Discombobulated, unorganized clusterfrack is the only way I describe the new Ontario Parks company. Whichever politician & appointed swivel servants that received kickbacks to switch to the new "service" should be made to run the Golden Staircase in a loin cloth, in May. Never ever will I ever interior camp in Algonquin again. Atleast not until Ontario appropriates (steals) the remaining Crown Land in S.Ont.

Non of the above, groomed marked trails are not what I'd call rugged, I've tripped through Boreal woods so my bug scale might be slightly skewed, if there's more miles of logging roads than portage trails it's hardly untouched wilderness and crowds are thicker at Massassauga.

Sure, why not?

No. Because any marketing budget will simply mean hugely inflated fee increases, lot's of under the table dealing and a few more $ spent on audit hearings into financial abuse. This is a gov't operation afterall.

UPDATED:

a for me.

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

canoeing, hiking, fishing, wildlife viewing, camping, boating, dog sledding

a) pleasant. Although I hear since they changed companies at Ontario parks service has suffered.

a,b,c,d,e depends on where and when in the park.

Unlikely.

No. I think Algonquin reputation speaks for itself, unless things have changed I believe it to be a well utilized provincial park.

1) In general, do you feel that a trip to Algonquin Park is/would be a) inexpensive; b ) moderately expensive; c) expensive? B

not if it's per/person, otherwise, yes

yes

yes

No

Visitor's Centre, Wolf Howl, fishing, canoeing, hiking

Average

All of the above

No

No

b

2) Do you feel the $11 per night interior fee is reasonable

yes

its a bit pricey, especially for extended visits.

yes

for a day trip yes, longer than two days and I don't feel the same way.

backpacking, fishing, camping, trails, many museums, swimming, winter trails, snowshoeing, wolf howl.

c)

depends on location, but for sure, some challenging terrain, lots of insects, some spots are very remote, never had a problem with crowds.

not likely, unless in the park already

In a time of fiscal responsibility, sure, its a renewable resource, but should be managed to meet the needs of the public, the wildlife, research being conducted in the park, tourists, and commercial logging. Every player has a role and a responsibility.

Edited by Lakeshore

1) Inexpensive...$11/night is pretty cheap if you ask me?

2) Totaly Reasonable....Its $77/week to have Maintained Trailes, and Sites Personally I think anyone who disagrees should study economics.

Services cost money, and $11/night is dirt cheap, and completely reasonable.

3) $13/day for vehicle day-use fee is also reasonable IMO...I have never done a "day trip" but what does $13 get now a days anyway?

Maybe a quarter tank of gas? Its very reasonable IMO

4) Yes I am aware of the outfitters surrounding the park.

5) I drive to Algonquin park from Kitchener and have traveled the North east side on accasion...its 6 hours, and I have no isse with the

distance or time it takes to get there. The distance is not a factor to me.

6) Camping, fishing, hikeing, nature observation(Ie photography, bird watching etc...)

7) So far I've had nothing but pleasant experiences...I've "heard" the new system is frustrating as there are some discrepenys with their

Data(Ie. trying to book sites on lakes that the reservations office says does not exist)

I've also "heard" the new sytem sometimes takes as long as 15 mintues over the phone to book, and I've "heard" of delays as long as a

month in recieving confirmations on reservations, and several "lost" reservation stories.

But Personally have had no issues.

8) a) rugged terrain; B) lots of bugs; c) untouched wilderness; d) summer crowds; or e) paradise?...all apply in their own circumstances.

If you travel in deep or off the beaten path there is Untouched wilderness and rugged terrain no doubt, but you can also travel well

marked routes, in which you may encounted the Summer crowds...epecially on weekends.

Bugs....its a no brainer that May and June are rough, but usualy bu July its managable.

9) I Would not attend a cultural event if it was held at Algonquin Park, only because that is not my cup of tea.(just being honest)

10) I would actually hope to not have it advetised only because the busier the park is the less I'd want to go, but thats a personal

oppinion. And I guess I like the way it is currently? It might be a narrow vision, but its my oppinion :)

Thanks a lot for the replies, everyone.

I think we got a lot of good responses that we can use towards our report.

Thanks again!

P.S. No need to keep answering the survey, as we've moving forward with our analysis now.