Cod Liver Oil

NAW

I spent a few hours last weekend pulling my summer lures out of the storage box, and cleaning them up. There was some tarnish on my Williams spoons, and meps spinners, so I took the CLR to them, then rinsed them in water.

I want to coat them in oil now, to keep any further tarnish and hook rust from occurring. Same thing goes for my ice fishing jigs before I store them away until next hardwater season.

I bought a bottle of Cod Liver Oil. I was planning on lightly coating my ice fishing lures in this stuff before putting them away for the summer. I was also going to coating my steel summer lures in this stuff too.

I know some of you use Cod Liver Oil for fish attractant. My question is, will this stuff damage the lures (paint, feathers, etc) if I coat my lures, then leave them for extended periods of time?

Also, any feedback on using this stuff as a attractant would be great.. If it works good for specific species, and not other, amount to use, how often to apply, etc…

It sure does have a powerful scent to it.

Thanks eh,

I remember a couple years back @ a local trib, a kid was telling me he's been using Cod Liver Oil to attract the trout/salmon. Now, how true that is is beyond me... as I've never tried it.

Very interesting question though... wondering if anyone can share some light on this...

I would think that this would be okay on your lures and hooks but probably not to good for feathers etc. Maybe you should just do a few and put them in a seperate box and see how they fair out while stored for the off season. you can even try WD-40 since it is primarily fish oil and comes in an aerosol which would make it easier to apply. Let us know how it works out for you.

I would think that this would be okay on your lures and hooks but probably not to good for feathers etc. Maybe you should just do a few and put them in a seperate box and see how they fair out while stored for the off season. you can even try WD-40 since it is primarily fish oil and comes in an aerosol which would make it easier to apply. Let us know how it works out for you.

Good idea on testing a few and setting them aside from the others.

As for the WD-40, Is it really mostly fish oil??

The other perk of the Cod Liver Oil is (I'm assuming) it's environmentally friendly.

Edited by F-is-H

Good idea on testing a few and setting them aside from the others.

As for the WD-40, Is it really mostly fish oil??

The other perk of the Cod Liver Oil is (I'm assuming) it's environmentally friendly.

I Did some work for a real old fella.... and he told me that they used WD-40 to keep the bombs from rusting during the war.

I've used cod liver oil for steelhead with good success, just dip a roe bag in and drift. Somedays it works great other days nothing, it's like anise oil on roe bags somedays deadly other days not.

so would it be safe to say that if you dident use either, some days would be good with plain roe and others nothing?..

I've used cod liver oil for steelhead with good success, just dip a roe bag in and drift. Somedays it works great other days nothing, it's like anise oil on roe bags somedays deadly other days not.

I have used it for years , but now it has gotten expensive, so I have switched to Annchove paste. Cheaper and smells worse.

I Did some work for a real old fella.... and he told me that they used WD-40 to keep the bombs from rusting during the war.

Which war? The product made its first appearance on store shelves in San Diego in 1958.

Cod liver oil definitely works for steelheads. I've used it up in the GB tribs and Lake O tribs with great success. Put a few drops in the roe jar the night before and add a few drops directly on the bag after a few drifts. I know some guys even put their pinky worms in a jar with cod oil. As for price, Rexall sells their 500ml bottle for about $9-$10.

I don't know about leaving oil on your hard bait though, even when I use it on my spoons I would wipe it off after each trip. It might eat into the paints and finishes and it'll stink up your tackle box.

Give it a try. Goodluck.

As an attractant, oils are poor performers. They don't disolve and release scent into the water as a solvent does. Think of oil and water mixing, the oil peels off and they remain separate.

I would slug a shot of CLO instead of dousing my hardware in it :lol:

My take anyway.

Paul

As an attractant, oils are poor performers. They don't disolve and release scent into the water as a solvent does. Think of oil and water mixing, the oil peels off and they remain separate.

I would slug a shot of CLO instead of dousing my hardware in it :lol:

My take anyway.

Paul

You know what man, I never thought of that. That's a good point..

By the replies I've received, it sounds like a good tactic for steal heading. I'll have to give it a try!

Thanks for the replies folks!

we used to do the night fish off the pier chucking hardware ( mostly body baits)...cod liver definitely works ....we would have a pail of oil sitting on the ground and every fourth or fifth cast give our lures a dip ...salmon and stellies seemed to like them ...

if you dont want the burden of dipping your lures in oil...Preparation H works wonders and doesnt wash way...(it has shark oil in it )....ive caught salmon lakers and steelies with it

so would it be safe to say that if you dident use either, some days would be good with plain roe and others nothing?..

I usually start with plain roe, if it ain't working or when the water is dirty cod liver oil works. The best way to use it is as mentioned by Bernie66, adding just a few drops will do the trick.Same as anise oil, the way I use this is a few drops on a paper towel then lay the roe bags on top of the paper towel and they will pick up the scent. Anise has a very strong scent so you only need alittle to get a strong scent on your roe bags. Same thing works good in off coloured water, in clear water try to go as natural as possible at least thats what works for me.

Proper air drying of lures before they are stored back in the tackle box will prevent any rusting...I have MANY lures that are over 30 years old with no rust whatsoever.

As far a coating them and then putting said lures away for a extended period of time...I would be VERY concerned the oil or whatever you use could attack the plastic box/tray they will be lying in...you could end up with a gooey mess next year.

I use cod liver oil on occasion but I don't recommend you leave it on the lures. It'll dry to a tacky brownish goo that just attracts dust, dirt and grime. If you need to store 'em and are worried about rust.....WD-40.

That's what I was worried about. I wasn't sure what the stuff does as it dries out..

Thanks Spiel, and everyone else for your comments...

I hoard (its tough not to eat them....)those silica gel packs from electronics stores and shoe boxes etc.

Toss a couple in each tackle box and they seem to keep rust free. Also I believe there are commercially available alternatives, I think Remington has something for gun cases or the like.