boat registration???

sconceptor

I bought a used boat last year off a dealership. I believed they were sending the registration paperwork to the government. Is it true that the ownership change needs to be registered with the government? I didn't recieve anything in the mail, so I questioned the dealership the other day, but they've not got back to me yet.

Is this registration the paperwork required by officers when they search a boat?

All I have now, is my bill of sale copy.

If I need to register the boat's licence number to myself, it will be a drive to K/W to wait in an government building to fill out some forms. At least I'll be able to shop at some of the fine tackle stores in the area.

Winner, Winner, Walleye, Dinner........Spincast with their first response gives some handy info with a link. Thank you.

Others your posts are valuable too. Much appreciated.

Now to wait, to hear from the dealership or to give them a call, to find out if they already switched over the licence registration for me and how I should proceed with obtaining the copy for my boat

Make sure you pay your taxes. I tried to get by with only paying for the trailer. I got a letter from the minister of finance saying that they didn't have any record of me paying tax on my boat that I registered. I have to come up with a receipt within 60 days or they will asess me a bill. Never try an cheat the goverment out of money!!!

Scooter

If you can do it for tax savings.Tell them that you bought the trailer for x amount of dollars and the boat was for free.The registration itself is no charge from my recolection.

That's how I got into trouble. I just payed the tax on the trailer, now their looking for the tax on the boat!!!!

Scooter