Steelheading Yesterday

solopaddler

It hasn't been a particularly bad winter here in southern Ontario, but for me it's been a long one.

I have had the chance to get out steelheading a handful of times throughout the winter with decent success.

The Niagara especially has coughed up a few brutes for me.

Yesterday was special though as it was the first time I've fished in such warm spring-like temperatures with obviously bright fresh run fish.

Spring is in the air folks! :)

In addition I was finally able to hook up with John (FLEX ROD on the board). Once again the greatest thing about this board is the quality of its members and the new friends that you meet.

It was a pleasure fishing with you yesterday John and I'm sure we'll do it again!

The water at our river of choice was running extremely high and slightly stained from spring runoff.

This freshet pushed goodly numbers of steelhead into the system and provided almost perfect conditions.

Fish were caught on a mix of brightly coloured jigs as well as the usual oversized roe bags tied in chartreuse.

Here's a few from yesterdays outing. With spring fully upon us and the weather cooperating there'll be a lot more of the same in next 2-3 weeks. :)

March102010Steelhead003.jpg

March102010Steelhead001.jpg

March102010Steelhead006.jpg

March102010Steelhead011.jpg

March102010Steelhead014.jpg

Cheers, Mike

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

sweet.

yesterday was my last day out with the snowmachine (barring some sort of biblical snowstorm) so steelheading is near... let's hope the superior tribs will cooperate.

And so it begins...those poor mykiss don't stand a chance.

Great to see you your reports again Mike, hope we can share a drift again soon.

Boat comes out of hibernation on April 15th, let me know if you want to get out for some spring Kings. ;)

Tony

Mike, you coud not have summed it up any better, "Once again the greatest thing about this board is the quality of its members and the new friends that you meet".

Once again many thanks for the great day I had a blast and any time and you have space and paitience I will be ready.

Thanks,

John

I was just down at the local river tonight to try out my new Croix rod. First cast with a 2/5 oz. Cartreuse/Silver Cleo...BAM. 'Bow on! Made a little jump and shook his head at the same time...off the hook and gone :lol: .

Should have never cheaped out and ran mono as opposed to my normal braid...

Edited by archie_james_c