Centerpin Mainline Preference

supernaut

Hey! Just Wondering What the Steelheaders on here prefer for there Mainline?, Brand, Lbs test, diameter, Do you guys prefer normal Mono or stuff like Siglon floating line. And how do you guys go about spooling your Pins do you use the pen through spool method ?..Thanks

I like 12lb Raven mainline in the green colour. It's very thin with the diameter of most 8lb lines.

Without getting into the whys I'm not a fan of any of the floating lines or hi vis lines.

Just this spring I've begun to experiment with Fireline on my float reel.

The original Fireline is not a braid, repels water and floats so it has good properties for a float reel.

The jury is still out on that but it does have some big advantages.

As far as spooling goes, pencil through the spool, reeled onto the reel with tension.

7 seasons ago I switched over to 10lb Raven in smoke grey or green (whatever the tackle shop has in stock) - Haven't looked back. Prior to that my mainline of choice was 8lb Maxima. The local tackle shops around my house (including CT) bumped up the prices quite a bit or dropped carrying spools of it all together. Never had a problem with the line and it handles the way I want it to. At $12 per 1000yard spool, it offers great value.

Tried Siglon V a number of times in 6-12lb but kept breaking above the float using 4-6lb leaders :blink:

Siglon F (whatever the hi vis one was) didn't fare any better. Both Siglon V and Siglon F were a little too limp for what I normally like.

Tried P-Line CX Premium in 8lb but found it sank slightly on drifts (which wasn't all that bad when it was really windy) but made float control and setting the hook at distance more difficult. Also a fair bit of stretch and dug in after fighting fish.

Tried PowerPro on the pin when it first came out years ago. Iced up insanely bad in winter and dug into the spool with 15lb breaking strain or less (thinner diameter). 50lb Powerpro worked OK later on in the season. Also made hook setting at distance a dream but made me slightly nervous I was overloading the rod to the max!

Tried 30lb Fireline. Also iced up in winter and got stiff. Just didn't seem to have the abrasion resistance. Lost a good number of fish to snags and noticed it frayed a lot.

Super Silver Thread Excalibur in 10-12lb actually worked nicely. Super abrasion resistant and never had a problem with it snapping. One of the few lines I actually liked. Found it had the right amount of stiffness that was perfect for me. Local tackle shops no longer carry it. Haven't seen it for a few years.

As for spooling...Pencil through the spool and reel with some tension

Super Silver Thread Excalibur in 10-12lb actually worked nicely. Super abrasion resistant and never had a problem with it snapping. One of the few lines I actually liked. Found it had the right amount of stiffness that was perfect for me. Local tackle shops no longer carry it. Haven't seen it for a few years.

Great line. I have not been able to find it for a long time now. If anybody knows where I can find it, please let me know. Black box with gold writing on it. As for backing line I just use the cheap Canadian Tire Red Wolf 10 Lb for $3

any advice for backing line?

The standard is usually 30lb dacron fly line backing for me.

I have one float reel though that has an incredibly deep spool with a ridiculously huge capacity.

If I were to fill that reel with backing and mainline it'd take a thousand yards and weigh a ton.

For that particular reel I wound on a level 4wt fly line to use as an arbor (weighs nothing and fills up the space), then have my mainline on top of that.

I prefer Berkely Trilene Sensation. Tried the Trilene Maxx and man is that line stiff. For backing I just use the green fenwick backing from canadian tire. had white backing on there but then it got stained and didnt look good.

Edited by riverfisher22

Everyone has a preference and so do I.

For me 6lb Maxima Ultra Green, 100 meter spool and no backing.

Chris I'll guess that you know how to cast properly? :)

If you're a pull caster or wallis caster you can get away with a lot less line on your reel and do away with backing.

Chris I'll guess that you know how to cast properly? :)

If you're a pull caster or wallis caster you can get away with a lot less line on your reel and do away with backing.

Your a smart one Mike, pull cast and or modified Wallis cast is how I learned and all I do.

In fact as I learned them so many years back I had know idea that there was a name for it. :)

As for only a 100 meters of line, never even been close to getting spooled.

I like to constantly change and try different lines. Mainly I use raven 10lb in high vis green and spider line 8-12lb. A very good friend uses Suffix 8-10lb and doesnt have any complaints. As far as spooling, Solo said it best. Best of luck!

Edited by justin elia

Your a smart one Mike, pull cast and or modified Wallis cast is how I learned and all I do.

In fact as I learned them so many years back I had know idea that there was a name for it. :)

As for only a 100 meters of line, never even been close to getting spooled.

Me too!!

When I'm teaching a newby and try to show them a side cast I look like an epileptic with fire ants in his shorts!!!! :lol:

I'm a pull caster and have been for close to 30 years. <_<

I am like Mike in the line department. When I lived in Ontario I used 8# Ande but now that I'm fishing bigger flows out west I use 12# Raven in Grey or Green. B)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have a 10lb maxima green has been my go to but i've been experimenting the last 2 spools with some others.

i'll have to try the raven line.

also, like solo, i don't mess with the hi vis stuff. good for combat fishing or perhaps for a beginner who is having trouble keeping track of his line/float, but frankly i think it just plain looks silly...and if you can see it, i would think the fish can too.

I like to constantly change and try different lines. Mainly I use raven 10lb in high vis green and spider line 8-12lb. A very good friend uses Suffix 8-10lb and doesnt have any complaints. As far as spooling, Solo said it best. Best of luck!

Hey buddy, this is off topic but.... how about some pic's of the new arrival? :)