Archery and/or Bow Hunting

Guest gbfisher

I used to hunt with a bow. I changed my rig over to a bowfishing for hunting Carp instead. :D Way more fun.... :)

Sitting in a tree stand for hours on end while watching deer in the feild across the road just wasnt for me. Id rather reach out and tough them 300 yards away. ;)

I shot competively for a few years. its a great sport. the 3d shots they have are great practice for hunting. Dont be afraid to try one thinking your not good enough its 40 targets my first time out missed half of them. its one of those sports where everyone wants to help others learn. I even shot with a kid heading to the olympics he was in a differant class then me still fun though

Yes been shooting for 30 years, would like to get better at it but like anything its a time investment.

Bowhunting is the best,,,,silent .. you get to see nature at its best when it doesnt think you are there.

Not sure what awaits me after I mangled my arm this winter, but will try my best. Maybe this will force me into reworking my form.

I've used a bow twice in my life and i think both times will stick with me forever. First I was at my uncles house and he had a compound bow sitting in the corner of his basement, arrows close by, dart board on the wall. I was about 10 or 12. I put an arrow right throught the dart board and wall and into the bathroom. Thank god no one was in there. Second I was at a buddies parents house and they had a target set up that was about the size of a bus. I missed it from about 50 feet and the arrow hit a rack handle about 200 feet behind the taget and split the handle of the rack right down the center and stuck there. I bet I could never do that again in a million years.

As for liking to shoot bows..................

I have to say that as much as I love fishing,bowhunting has to be my fav.3D shooting is a lot of fun & a great way to test your skill.

A big bullmoose coming in to your call when all you have is a bow will get your blood pressure up for sure.

I had a bow (like a wooden one) when I was a kid and loved it. It has honestly been crossing my mind as of late as something to do with Will.

Not to thread jump here, but what would you guys recommend for a kid of 8-10 years of age for a starter bow?

Thanks,

Jim

I had a bow (like a wooden one) when I was a kid and loved it. It has honestly been crossing my mind as of late as something to do with Will.

Not to thread jump here, but what would you guys recommend for a kid of 8-10 years of age for a starter bow?

Thanks,

Jim

there are a of kids compound bows out there but i would recommend is go to a archery shop if your near peterborough sugeen shafts has a great staff and have bows to rent and indoor lanes to shoot to see if its something your kids would like it. i would get your kids a long or traditionl bow to start and one other thing is go to a place that deals with archery not walmart or ctc places like that

I wanted one and picked one up(compound bow).I love it.The only thing that keeps me from using it,is the time and place.Other than that Id be on it every chance I get after fishing of coarse.Oh by any chance is there an MNR officer on board, I have a simple question?Pm me , only and only if you are.Just a simple question.No others.sorry to jump your thread.

Used to love bowhunting,the hunt starts when a gun hunt usually ends.Seeing the animal is just the beginning.There are no long shots with a bow.When it all works out any bow kill as a trophy.Carp shooting is also fun.

med_gallery_7_64_180584.jpeg

Joe

Started shooting over 20 yrs ago & started the Teeswater Kids Archery Club & had up to 64 kids a few yrs, we went to lots of 3-D shoots all over the province, had youth win the Kitchener 3-D Canadian Championship, OAA Triple Crown, set records in the Indoor Target rounds, excellent program, my kids started shooting a Darton Thunder Stick at 2 yrs old, thinking about getting back at it, I have a 4 yr old grand daughter & still have a left & right Thunder Stick, make sure you check which eye is their dominent one it's easier to get them shooting the right way first

Best Of Luck Richard :thumbsup_anim:

I used to hunt with a bow. I changed my rig over to a bowfishing for hunting Carp instead. :D Way more fun.... :)

Sitting in a tree stand for hours on end while watching deer in the feild across the road just wasnt for me. Id rather reach out and tough them 300 yards away. ;)

The most fun you'll ever have with a bow. Sneaking around Cooks bay with a bow sniping massive carp.. You can't beat that!

As soon as the snow's out of my back yard, I'll start warming up for carp shooting.. Can't wait..

Been bowhunting since early 90's out here. Mainly for elk and moose during the rut. Have filled my freezer a few times over with it. Bowhunting elk during the rut is the ultimate. Like hunting turkeys with a whole lot of antler on its head!

I've been crossbow hunting for about 13 years, but never any other bows.

I love watching the wildlife go by from the tree stand. Sometimes I have birds land right on me thinking I'm part of the tree.

Might give the compound bows a try soon. Looks like fun.

Good luck !!!

i have been using a crossbow for a while and just got a recurve for christmas. i plan on getting good enough with it to take a deer this fall. i figure it should be a good challenge :canadian:

You will enjoy the recurve,instictive shooting is a lost art these days.I have only taken one deer with a recurve but it was the most rewarding one.Remember that you must have a good blade because there is no let off and make sure you can hold the poundage for a while without shaking.Good luck

Joe